Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2013
London
AKA
Johnny NoCash
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a Denafrips Pontus DAC . It looked great & reviews were superb. It was really good. I really wanted it to sound better than my existing DAC. After many hours of serious listening I couldn't tell any difference so the Denafrips left the building. I don't need a DAC any more so I'm gonna move my original one on.
It has no preamp facility.... No headphone outlet... Etc. It does have a valve output option if you want that .. I preferred the non valve output but others beg to differ.
I appreciate your reluctance to go for a 'Topping/ SMLS but this is way better. It will cost you about £250
It's my Xiang Sheng 05b

Mike Milne

Wammer
Feb 20, 2020
Worcester
AKA
Mike Milne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You'd think so based on price but if you actually look at what's inside there's no reason it can't compete with some high end DACs. I'll stick the original op amps in and give it another listen in the next few days and report back.
ok thank you, where are you based.

Mike Milne

Wammer
Feb 20, 2020
Worcester
AKA
Mike Milne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a Denafrips Pontus DAC . It looked great & reviews were superb. It was really good. I really wanted it to sound better than my existing DAC. After many hours of serious listening I couldn't tell any difference so the Denafrips left the building. I don't need a DAC any more so I'm gonna move my original one on.
It has no preamp facility.... No headphone outlet... Etc. It does have a valve output option if you want that .. I preferred the non valve output but others beg to differ.
I appreciate your reluctance to go for a 'Topping/ SMLS but this is way better. It will cost you about £250
It's my Xiang Sheng 05b
hmm where are you based will google this one. I only came up with the list i did because those were the usual suspects.

fordy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 29, 2006
Wirral, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Naim DAC is a very analogue sounding DAC and sounds absolutely superb for under £750 these days. Also, Chord Hugo or even a Hugo2 (and their relatives) should be under consideration. I've seen Hugo2 at around £900 recently too.

Mike Milne

Wammer
Feb 20, 2020
Worcester
AKA
Mike Milne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Naim DAC is a very analogue sounding DAC and sounds absolutely superb for under £750 these days. Also, Chord Hugo or even a Hugo2 (and their relatives) should be under consideration. I've seen Hugo2 at around £900 recently too.
Hi not really convinced by Naim products at all but thank you for mentioning .

GLB

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2015
Newquey Cornwall
AKA
Chris Schwar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Last edited:

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Denafrips Aries for sale on here.

Been listening to my DAC with a USB convertor into coax rather than direct to USB and it sounds too good to sell, I'll probably keep it as a different sounding back up rather than sell it at the price I'm asking. Could fix the issues I've had with integrating my Usher BEs in my second system next time I'm up there.

Mike Milne

Wammer
Feb 20, 2020
Worcester
AKA
Mike Milne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
these get a great wright up, i have the mqa version , this version will take a lot of beating by new products costing under 2k , Audioscience lab tested it and it comes second in test next to the mqa version at number 1 in there all time tests .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185495184824?hash=item2b305fe5b8:g:MuEAAOSwg0liye6B&LH_ItemCondition=3000 https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/spdif-dac-reviews/matrix-x-sabre-pro/
Will check these out to as heard of this make and good reports about it. I have never heard MQA or DSD before so dont know the difference these formats make.

ASR though as a site i am quite wary of. Some of the people on that site are positively odd, frequent box swappers types. When anybody ever tries to tell them the importance of listening in the context of their own system over an extended period they get shot down . I am sure a lot of them are perfectly happy with apple dongles which possibly measure well and didnt cost them much. Their hatred of people they term " subjectivists " is amusing though and if i want an bit of escapism i have a read but no longer bother to put my head above the parapet and comment. ASR did if i rember rightly think the Denafrips Aries was ok and like the RME which also get wider support on proper forums. They mainly seem to like cheap Toppings and i wonder about sponsorship issues here?

Mike Milne

Wammer
Feb 20, 2020
Worcester
AKA
Mike Milne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Luxman DA100 that could be for sale but I am in Portugal and not coming to the UK any time soon. They are normally less than £500 and I think that it’s really great but as I have five DACs some will be sold.

Mike Milne

Wammer
Feb 20, 2020
Worcester
AKA
Mike Milne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Luxman DA100 that could be for sale but I am in Portugal and not coming to the UK any time soon. They are normally less than £500 and I think that it’s really great but as I have five DACs some will be sold.
Will look into not a brand I know anything about . Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles