Amp Suggestion for Elac UniFi UBR62 Reference ?

JMDM

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi All,

New in here.

I have bought Elac UniFi UBR62 Reference home after auditioning from a HiFi Shop.
However I am not satisfied with the sound pairing it with a class D amp i.e SMSL AO200.

So I am planning to go for a MidFi Class A/B Amp and i was considering stuffs from Arcam as I prefer slightly warmer and laidback presentation.

However i could be wrong and don't wanna make a big mistake by buying the wrong amp, hence I am here for all your suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks in advance..

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi All,

New in here.

I have bought Elac UniFi UBR62 Reference home after auditioning from a HiFi Shop.
However I am not satisfied with the sound pairing it with a class D amp i.e SMSL AO200.

So I am planning to go for a MidFi Class A/B Amp and i was considering stuffs from Arcam as I prefer slightly warmer and laidback presentation.

However i could be wrong and don't wanna make a big mistake by buying the wrong amp, hence I am here for all your suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks in advance..
Not sure how much you want to spend, but the Rega IO is a powerful and detailed amp at £420. Fits the slightly warmer sound but airy/room filling as well.
The Audiolab 6000a at 50 watt per channel and comes with a dac and blue tooth might offer more in flexibility with all it's digital options and more power.

Reactions: JMDM

johns

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 29, 2016
Maidstone kent
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What was the amp used when you auditioned your speakers, does that dealer stock arcam. You brought your speakers after auditioning them, we'll done, now do the same for the amp.
Good luck and welcome to the wam.

Reactions: JMDM and DaveyTed

JMDM

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What was the amp used when you auditioned your speakers, does that dealer stock arcam. You brought your speakers after auditioning them, we'll done, now do the same for the amp.
Good luck and welcome to the wam.
Thanks John for the warm welcome..
The amp used was some Prima Luna Tube Amp which I can't afford at all unfortunately.
No this dealer doesn't have anything from Arcam at all which is again unfortunate.
But I can try alternative sources to get some Brit brands like Arcam.

Not sure how much you want to spend, but the Rega IO is a powerful and detailed amp at £420. Fits the slightly warmer sound but airy/room filling as well.
The Audiolab 6000a at 50 watt per channel and comes with a dac and blue tooth might offer more in flexibility with all it's digital options and more power.
I can spend from £400 to £470 on the amp either new or even used thus was considering Arcam pre-owned.
I already have an SMSL M500 MKii dac. So only considering a good Integrated-Amp with a remote and an HT input, so that I can use the same speakers with my AVR as well.

Thanks all for the replies.

Reactions: hiesteem

JMDM

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the Rega IO suggestion. However 30W @ 8Ohms, I am being skeptical considering the Elacs are 6ohms ,86db 140W speakers. But my listening space is medium sized though.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the Rega IO suggestion. However 30W @ 8Ohms, I am being skeptical considering the Elacs are 6ohms ,86db 140W speakers. But my listening space is medium sized though.
Cambridge audio is a very good value for money brand, On there website they have a selection of amps and amp/receivers with phono stage.
The AXR85 stereo receiver looks interesting. 85 watts per channel, built in blue tooth, which allows you to stream from your phone or tablet and a moving magnet phono stage for good measure.
I believe Richer sounds stock the brand.

JAD

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sevenoaks have a clearance brand new and boxed MusiCal Fidelity M2si at £499 which imho is a bargain. Possibly not the warmest sound you will get but perhaps an option to consider. Personally, I don’t find it overly bright. Has remote and HT input and will have no trouble driving your speakers.

Reactions: bigrod and JMDM

JMDM

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As of now I have easy access to these below Cambridge Amps :-

AXA 25 - Cheapest but only 25W
AXA 35 - 35W and in budget
AXR 85 > 85W with Radio budget limit
CXA 81 > Most Expensive and over budget

Anyone can advise on the above those based on the criteria required i.e.
A remote + HT Mode + a bit Warm Sounding.

I don't need Radio or a DAC if that helps..

Cheers 🥂

JMDM

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bump!

It's funny that no one even commented anything on an arcam amp though.
😂

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles