Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi There, Did you get in touch with GC may I ask ? I also need to. Cheers.
Hi Ian
Well, I sent an e-mail at the end of last week but so far, haven’t received a reply.
I wasn’t planning to chase just now as I understand that GC is busy most of the time.
From my perspective, even if there were any Croft integrateds floating around (which I know there aren‘t) then I wouldn’t feel able to proceed until I have managed to speak to GC about suitability with my speakers.
Stuart

Fullrange

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Torquay
AKA
Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has anyone got hold of Glen yet? My amp is sick.
Recommendations of alternative repairs most welcome at this stage.... I need my amp fixed.

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has anyone got hold of Glen yet? My amp is sick.
Recommendations of alternative repairs most welcome at this stage.... I need my amp fixed.
Perhaps you could contact someone like my local dealer, Deco Audio. They modified my Micro 25 prior to sale and could fix your amp very nicely, but they are likely to be more expensive than Glenn.

• Thanks
Reactions: DomT and Fullrange

Hank

New Wammer
Oct 3, 2020
Relatively new owner of the Croft Phono Integrated here. Because there is no owner‘s manual, would someone confirm that the line stage tube is the rightmost tube of the three, looking from the front of the unit? Is the line stage tube a 12AX7 or a 12AU7? I was sure it’s a 12AX7 until I read on the forum of people using the 12AU7. Perhaps they were referring to a different Croft amplifier. Thanks.

axe

Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Portsmouth
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Relatively new owner of the Croft Phono Integrated here. Because there is no owner‘s manual, would someone confirm that the line stage tube is the rightmost tube of the three, looking from the front of the unit? Is the line stage tube a 12AX7 or a 12AU7? I was sure it’s a 12AX7 until I read on the forum of people using the 12AU7. Perhaps they were referring to a different Croft amplifier. Thanks.
Yes, the linestage tube is the farthest right of the three tubes if looking from the front.

12AX7 and 12AU7 are the same family but AU7 will be quieter as it has less gain. The stock tube type is 12AX7/ECC83.

The Bish

The Bish
Wammer
Jul 3, 2020
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Nathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

It’s definitely a 12AX7. You can use a 5751 as a drop in replacement in the linestage position (not the phono valves), but not a 12AU7.

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The phono Integrated has a passive linestage - the three valves are two for the phono stage plus another for the input stage of the power amp section, which is basically the same as a Croft 7. It’s possible to use valves other than a ECC83 there but can’t recall which ones Glenn recommended. 12BH7A rings a bell.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Perhaps you could contact someone like my local dealer, Deco Audio. They modified my Micro 25 prior to sale and could fix your amp very nicely, but they are likely to be more expensive than Glenn.
Glenn has never done any work for me but I always found Deco’s work to be very reasonably priced for the quality of work and service.

Hank

New Wammer
Oct 3, 2020
Yes, the linestage tube is the farthest right of the three tubes if looking from the front.

12AX7 and 12AU7 are the same family but AU7 will be quieter as it has less gain. The stock tube type is 12AX7/ECC83.
Thanks. Next question: Are upgrades to the Phono Integrated offered by Mr. Croft? Other than experimenting with 12AX7 tubes, are there modifications to the line stage or amplifier sections that can be done by Croft to improve the unit’s performance?

Fullrange

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Torquay
AKA
Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks. Next question: Are upgrades to the Phono Integrated offered by Mr. Croft? Other than experimenting with 12AX7 tubes, are there modifications to the line stage or amplifier sections that can be done by Croft to improve the unit’s performance?
Unfortunately Glen is not excepting repairs or modification at this time.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having met Glenn a few times and visited him for repairs and services this is really sad news . I did know he had health issues but was not aware they were that serious and he seemed in reasonable health the last time I saw him . My condolences to his family and friends .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online