All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Less UK dealerships than Denafrips, Shahinian, ModWright and so many other brands I've never heard of before?
  3. rdale

Room measuring

I use acoustic treatment but I don't use room correction currently. They are different things, but seem to often be conflated. Of course you can't bring round acoustic panels to a bake off very easily.
  4. Gray

On a mission

I always appreciated that subtle name badge.
  5. Thought I had been a while back.
  6. Is there any reason why crossover point between tw and stw in Akubariks would be different or one of this is wrong? Akubarik Crossover points 110 Hz, 318 Hz, 3.6 kHz, 9.84 kHz
  7. I've said before- my Zigmahornets are made from 1+1/2 inch polystyrene! (long story...) PVA coated, they sound great as desk side units. Even Bass! "Shaft' playing! They changed my views on small speakers (from my 17 years of Klipschorn owning!) and after hearing the depth and detail/aura , I invested in Ocellia Calliopes for my main set-up.
  8. Certainly some fabulous stuff on their website!
  9. So you eliminated everyone instead 🤣🤣
  10. Sold. Mods - please can you move thread. Thanks.
  11. If the Yaqin were monoblocks id certainly be interested. Many thanks for the suggestions so far, I’ll be doing a bit of research!
  12. NAD get plenty of mentions on forums, I had a NAD amp once years ago, don't miss it at all the Arcam replacement I thought was far better. Rotel I agree not mentioned much these days. Creek are very good but they have few dealers in the UK, it is hard to demo their gear but I did manage to track down their 50A amp which was pretty good. Croft is another brand that does get a bit overlooked in the UK. Mission and Cyrus seem to be fading away?
  13. It was a classified message. It we told you what it meant we would have to eliminate you.....
  14. I am always surprised that more manufacturers don’t use ‘room correction’ at shows to cure boomy bass, remember that EQ is only returning the FR to how it should be, removing some of the contribution of the speakers, today it is completely transparent. Keith
  15. I've been told these are a decent power amplifier and would like to check for myself if anyone has one to sell, let me know. TIA
  16. bigrod

Room measuring

Your ears like every other part of you anatomy are only as good as what your genetics give you and how you look after them .I have never listened to loud music in a confined space such as a car , and never listen to my systems turned up for long periods . I have always worn ear protection when in a noisy factory or on building sites .or when using mechanical equipment .. My last assessment which I had 2 years ago when auditing a bottle making factory for ISO it was 95% The tester was surprised at my level of hearing for an aged gentleman..She said as good If not better as most people half my age .. if anyone at my next bake off would like to bring some room correction device to Improve my listening experience then gladly do so . i have spent thousands of hours at shows were apparently room correction was used and by hi end manufacturers and dealers and the music was Shyte to say the least .. bad matching components sound crap whatever you jiggle about to improve the sound ...Been in many dealers and often thought.. change the room not the kit .. But as always it’s each to his own .. kindest regards Julian
  17. I lusted after Amphion Xenon's for years after reading reviews and wanted them so badly, I couldn't get them out of my mind... About ten years later there was a pair came up for sale at 2nd Hand Hifi, I paid a fair wallop to get them palleted up and sent from Stockton to my wor, I had to get them home too - man these things were seriously heavy and I was so excited to get them, they were beautiful. Got them set up, fired up some tunes - meh. Tried lots of tunes, faffed about positioning them for days - meh. They were utterly lifeless, grey and had little bass despite having a side mounted 10" bass driver, the treble was so disconnected from the midrange, unusually the crossover to treble at a low 1 kHz, couple that with an aluminium 4" mid driver no wonder it was drier than Ghandi's flip-flop. Utterly gutted. Still I moved them on to a guy that took them down to Devon but later I found out he was using a NAD 3020 to run them, I bet he was disappointed too.... Oh, I also bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH M50X on a whim, awful muffled, wallowing bass that bled into midrange, spitty upper mids and no treble extension, I listened to a mate's pair thinking mine were faulty but his sounded the same, who the hell reviewed these as 'reference/mixing, 'professional' headphones?!??
  18. Hi all, know this is long shot but worth a try, I'm needing a single bass driver for a pair of ns-1000m that i picked up, could consider a pair if needed. or has anyone here used this kit, https://reconingspeakers.com/product/yamaha-ja3058a-12-aftermarket-recone-kit/ the driver i have the cone is fine the magnet has slipped and damaged the coil, so could try and replace just the coil onto the existing cone. im based near birmingham but can travel etc. thanks in advance
  19. Cambridge Topaz was well below par when it cam to sound quality. Many in the UK used to spend a little extra and plump for the Azur range. The US in general doesn't have a great two channel demand compared to Europe and the UK.
  20. kernow

On a mission

My dad had that for a bit a few years back
  21. They may not be wallflowers but I've rarely seen them recommended on this or other forums. ClearAudio is another that doesn't get mentioned unless someone asks. It would seem their cartridges are totally ignored, apart from yours truly, who will offer them as an alternative. I've owned two carts: Classic Wood and Concept. Both fabulous MM cartridges.
  22. @rduras Oops, didn’t read your post carefully enough - I just repeated what you already pointed out - apologies!
  1. Load more activity