Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's not I am unhappy I want audio navara, to experience the next level of hifi fildelity. Understanding what people think is the weakest link and take it to the next level.
My gut says your right about the amplifier and speakers, (the amp Gato Audio dia 250) mighty and fast this class D amp is , I think I could do with more warmth and more realism
No real problems with the speaker's but was just thinking they could be holding the system back? Have been thinking of a crossover upgrade from GR research?
My immediate thought on reading your opening post was to ask whether you’ve heard the Gato 150 amp. Every review I’ve read rates this Class AB amp more highly than the Class D 250, and you’re not using the internal DAC anyway… it wouldn’t consume your budget but a nice night at Le Manoir for you and your significant other would make a nice dent in what’s left!

Reactions: Soundsinheaven

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Amp + speakers though.

I've heard a Gato with ATC and to me it sounded overly 'clean' to the extent of being thin and lifeless. But then much as I love them, the LVs are incredibly amp sensitive too. If you make it to the October show, you can see what mine are like with a goodly bit of 845 magic and a fast sub (which makes more difference than some may expect).

I suspect that Gato + Sonus is not an ideal mix.
Not all Gatos are made equal… which did you hear?

Soundsinheaven

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2015
Awbridge
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yes that's what made me think about it - his views on improving cabinet rigidity were also interesting. I'm not unhappy with the speakers in the least, quite the opposite, but worth investigating if one can squeeze a bit more from them ...
I've added a Rel sub and pulled the speakers out from the walls, this gave a lot more soundstage front to back.
Have you found the cloth that covers the bass port at the bottom resonates at certain frequencies which is very annoying. Got a small tab of blue tag stuck on it to stop that. It's on both speakers, so not just a one off.
Let us know what you decide to do regarding the upgrades. I've got the snake eye tool to open them up. So I'll be taking a look inside at the weekend.

Reactions: julesd68

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about some nice and powerful 80w kt88 monoblocks to replace the gato which everyone is being mean about?

I have a pair as it happens ;)

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My gut says your right about the amplifier and speakers, (the amp Gato Audio dia 250) mighty and fast this class D amp is , I think I could do with more warmth and more realism
No real problems with the speaker's but was just thinking they could be holding the system back? Have been thinking of a crossover upgrade from GR research?
I haven’t done my write up yet but the thing that has really struck me about the Audio Research amps is the sense of realism and tone. The Marantz has more punch and edges of instruments are better defined but ARC has better separation of instruments, tonal colour, weight, etc. It’s not necessarily because the preamp is a valve amp though. If you prefer this type of sound then a change in amp could do it for you.

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hiya,
Just a bit curious what upgrade people would recommend for the biggest bang for the bunk and why?
System;
Gato Audio amp dia250 (not using the DAC)
moon mind streamer with McRU liner power supply
denafrips Aries 2 DAC.
Sonus Faber venere 2.5. speakers
+ Rel T9 sub
all good cables and DC mains conditioner
Wide range of music pop, classical, electronic,
jass, rock....
Medium sized room, with soft furnishings
Look forward to hearing back with the possible upgrades for £3-4k🤔💪

£4K How about a completely different approach? All in one. Take a 45 day at-home trial. New Buchardt A500se with Purifi woofers.
A500 Purifi Signature

Not for you? Send them back No question. Mine stayed. Transforms the living space once all the boxes and cables are gone.

966ABC51-C0E8-43B2-A7C9-450C2901D560.jpeg 619C84BB-42AD-49B8-8F6C-507E03790712.jpeg

wish I had waited for these SEs
3187D7FD-0472-483B-99C8-B10F3B96E300.jpeg

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
£4K How about a completely different approach? All in one. Take a 45 day at-home trial. New Buchardt A500se with Purifi woofers.
A500 Purifi Signature

Not for you? Send them back No question. Mine stayed. Transforms the living space once all the boxes and cables are gone.

966ABC51-C0E8-43B2-A7C9-450C2901D560.jpeg 619C84BB-42AD-49B8-8F6C-507E03790712.jpeg

wish I had waited for these SEs
3187D7FD-0472-483B-99C8-B10F3B96E300.jpeg
The woofer ring would torment my mind

Chumpchops

Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's always been a big dilema for me: do I privilege the room or the sound?

Yup. Interesting conundrum. I like food that pleases the eye first before the taste buds. I really like to be it a calm clear space before listening, but I am also acutely aware don’t listen with my eyes.

Its OT, but our sensory perceptions seem blend for many (most) of our pleasures.

Room aesthetics/sound? Going to be different for all. A tidy room sounds better to me.

julesd68

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2009
London
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've added a Rel sub and pulled the speakers out from the walls, this gave a lot more soundstage front to back.
Have you found the cloth that covers the bass port at the bottom resonates at certain frequencies which is very annoying. Got a small tab of blue tag stuck on it to stop that. It's on both speakers, so not just a one off.
Let us know what you decide to do regarding the upgrades. I've got the snake eye tool to open them up. So I'll be taking a look inside at the weekend.
I would love to be able to pull my speakers back from the walls but have no choice to leave them where they are - there is barely a few inches to play with in terms of positioning ... :(

Not had the issue with the port, first I've heard about that actually. I guess one could import the upgrades from the US or maybe have them made over here. If you manage to have a look inside this weekend it would be great if you could share some photos of the crossover and cabinet interior - I'm really curious to see!

Reactions: Soundsinheaven

Chumpchops

Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The woofer ring would torment my mind
Lol. The over applied mastic look clearly not for you then!

The stock smooth cones are available in the non SE A500s that I have.

But am intrigued by the long throw Purify cones that are highly rated in both measurements and sonic performance.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has anyone got Q acoustics concept 500? Nice upgrade, or a slide sideways?
Had them, loved them. A really excellent speaker, a great all-rounder and so easy to live with, but whether they would be an upgrade or a sideways move from what you have I wouldn't like to say.

P.S. Used them with a Gato 250S too, and it was a superb partnership IMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles