Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
(Early) New Year greetings to all you vinylistas.

I have recently sniffed around a turntable or two for my third "sandpit" system, with you-only-live-once ringing in one ear and being-able-to-eat-would-be-nice ringing in the other; I ultimately decided that discretion is the better part of valour (at least for the rest of 2018...) but looked at some superb tables, both original and modded, with and without arms, with and without carts, belt and direct drive, Japanese and British... at great prices.

I thought fellow wammers might like to give their imaginations a workout as a break from the pressures of Christmas and Brexit... not to help me find my own turntable but just as a general exercise in Wamship.

(See related threads with other budgets)

Here are the competition rules then.

1. Budget £1000 (not "if you can stretch...")

But you don't need to spend it all! A great looking and sounding deck for £500 will do nicely, thank you

[*]Suitable for the widest range of music from gentle classical to full-on rock

[*]Complete turntable including deck, arm, cart and power supply (inc any adaptors if not 240v)

[*]No restriction on belt/direct drive, MM/MC or country of origin

[*]Can be used or new but...

[*]... must not need any repair work or DIY skills (just turntable setup) - so no doer-uppers

[*]Must be in very good cosmetic condition (in case anyone finds specific examples)

There will be no judging and no prizes. Everyone's a winner here.

I might post an example myself later.

Enjoy!

Nigel

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's Christmas. You've been a good boy all year.
I've always been happy with my Systemdek cost me £160 and is better than my previous decks but one thing sticks in my mind the guy who sold it to me said he thought he'd never get rid of it until he came across and heard a PT1  9_9

J Macquarrie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 28, 2015
Hertfordshire
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Couple of hundred quid (maybe a bit more) on a systemdek or similar then spend the rest on good whisky (you can get a lot of bottles of the Aldi single malt for £700 or so) as it always makes the music sound better.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A thing of beauty! £160?? Crikey... what a bargain.
Yes it was , and it came with a cart (not that one), I only bought it to try out a MC cart and phono stage I didn't want to mess with my other T/T a Rega p3/24 with every concievable upgrade , AO arm rewire , Groovetracer sub , dual pulley , P9 feet and it had a 2M Black , I loved it , my pride and joy but one week with the Systemdek and I broke it down and sold it .

Here is my Rega :

Reactions: Clubsport911

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes it was , and it came with a cart (not that one), I only bought it to try out a MC cart and phono stage I didn't want to mess with my other T/T a Rega p3/24 with every concievable upgrade , AO arm rewire , Groovetracer sub , dual pulley , P9 feet and it had a 2M Black , I loved it , my pride and joy but one week with the Systemdek and I broke it down and sold it .

Here is my Rega :

That's a lovely thing too, classic Rega clean lines. I have a P3 on long term loan to a friend in the Borders as she wanted to get another "record player"... and my P3 was sitting in a wardrobe serving no particular purpose. It's a good deck even in vanilla form but a fully fettled one must be very nice indeed. For the Systemdek to trounce it so clearly is a fantastic statement about the quality of the latter.

Reactions: philb36

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the Systemdek to trounce it so clearly is a fantastic statement about the quality of the latter.
I was in turmoil for a week I didn't want the Systemdek to be my main deck I was going to move it on , I tried not to like it . The Rega was using a Puresound P10 phono amp for the 2m Black , the Systemdek had a Goldring Eroica and used the NAD c162 MC phono stage , I tried swapping carts and phono amps but the best way I can explain it ,  the Rega was the trying too hard to be a record player , the Systemdek was a record player.

Reactions: TheFlash

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a Technics SL1210 mk2 for a £100, with out an arm, I added Sonik Sircle modded sme3009, which was kindly done free of charge for a couple of reviews, changed the feet for Sorbothane £25, and added an Ortofon Rondo red SH £140 (thanks Rabski for the recommendation). £265 very well spent to my ears.

Playing now (excuse the poor photo)

billy joel-Thstranger.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.