2022/2023 Premier League Football Season

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The new season starts slightly earlier and finishes later than usual because of the World Cup (Nov/Dec).

Premier League 6th August '22 - 28th May '23

Fixtures out 16th June 16:00 GMT .

Reactions: greybeard

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Community Shield Liverpool v Man City will be played at the King Power Stadium Leicester on Sat 30th July .

Reactions: greybeard

DIB

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It just doesn't feel right playing the World Cup in December.

Personally as a Man Utd fan I'm intrigued as to what our starting XI will be in August. So far Matic, Mata, Cavani, Lingard, and Pogba have gone, or confirmed going by the end of June. Wan Basaka could be Roma bound if reports are to be believed. Unfortunately Martial is back in the fold, Sevilla couldn't send him back quick enough, though he wants out (fingers crossed).

I just hope we can recruit some quality midfield talent, that is the area which needs addressing urgently. The problems at the back and upfront all stem from our total lack of control and creativity in the middle in my very humble opinion.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Liverpool could well be doing more business this summer than I thought Mane looks to have made his mind up that he is going to leave and Salah while he says he will be staying does not seem to want to sign a new contract and Liverpool I doubt will let him just play out his last year . Given that then we are going to need some replacements and currently I do not see were that is coming from . Luckily the recruitment team at Liverpool have much better ideas than me and we will have to wait and see how things progress . The Ox and Minimino as well as Origi are all likely to move on and in my view Milner should be moved in to the coaching staff but not playing another season . I just can not see us being able to maintain a competitive level behind City next season and 3 or 4 th place plus a decent cup run may be the best we can manage . it may need another two windows to bolster up the squad to become competitive . Sadly and this nothing against City next season may well be a procession and while that I cam sure will be of no concern to the City fans it is not really that good for the PL . I fully accept that all the other sides need to get better and drag themselves up to the levels of City without some very large investment which many clubs just do not have it is going to prove to be a long term chase .

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would seem that with the sale of Mane at the right price and the years savings of his wages and the allowance of five players to leave again getting the reduction the wage bill Liverpool have identified their main signing target which appears to be Nunez from Benfica. Having watched him play against us in the CL there is much to admire and given his age and that Klopp and coaching staff have the knack of improving players this looks to be a nice step forward . As always we will have to see how he adjusts to the PL . We seem to have made around 40 million from getting to the CL final and our earnings for the League Cup and FA Cup will add a further 12-15 million which seems to be going straight in to the recruitment budget . So there will be the chance to buy additional players and for me at least mid field is an obvious area were a number of players are getting older and we need apprentices shadowing them to replace as and when needed . Curtis Jones needs to break through and get far more games this season or be moved on and replaced . Harvey Elliot is in the same boat needs to keep his progression up and stay fit . We could do with a good additional defensive midfielder and a really dominant passing midfielder in the Thiago , Xavi mould but they are not easy to find so fingers crossed the current transfer committee can keep up their sterling work and find us some real left field and low priced gems .

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well no official confirmation by Liverpool yet but Benfica have made an official statement that Liverpool have signed Nunez . Good to see at least some of our transfer work done and dusted early . Suspect that most things now will be in the selling arena getting palyers who are not really full squad players off the books saving wages and giving openings to youngsters coming through to get a more regular place . All of this will be helped by the new five subs rule as this gives much better ability to get players in to games and get full game time . It will also enable us to rest and keep our best players playing and fit for longer , well that is the theory anyway will see how things progress . Three days to the fixture list so not too long before it is back to games again .

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
May I direct readers' attention to an article by Asif Norat in today's Sporting Life (internet edition) entitled - 'Why (Man) United need a holding midfield player'.
It's cogent and well written.

Jack NSM

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well we are now well in to the transfer season and some clubs notably City and Liverpool seem to have got most of their ins and outs done early . Arsenal seem to have signed Jesus at a sensible fee but not exactly cheap , just hope that he wants to play the central striker role that you need .
Chelsea appear to be avoiding the elephant in the room of need to get at least two centre halfs and possibly even a left back as well . Instead they keep being linked with yet more attackers but as yet no moves out from the current group . Tottenham have just been quietly adding to the squad but nothing too sensational as yet. Utd seem to be now finding out that the years of mess they have allowed to happen is making attracting the right player with the right attitude very difficult even DeJong is not keen on signing but things at Barcelona are conspiring that he has to leave and no other clubs seen interested at the price . Still lots of time to go and it will be interesting to see who does leave and come in . Most squads look to be getting stronger and there should be goals by the bucket full this coming season .

Reactions: Non-Smoking Man

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A very unexpected surprise today that after all the reports that Mo would not be signing a new contract he has . Others I am sure will be thrilled that he is staying with Liverpool and not moving to their club as they would be embarrassed at his antics. Me I am very happy to be able to watch him play for a few more years and hopefully see him gain the additional trophies that he wants .

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A very unexpected surprise today that after all the reports that Mo would not be signing a new contract he has . Others I am sure will be thrilled that he is staying with Liverpool and not moving to their club as they would be embarrassed at his antics. Me I am very happy to be able to watch him play for a few more years and hopefully see him gain the additional trophies that he wants .

just means they'll be able to get more money for him when it's time to flog him next year

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Alex Keble makes a convincing case that Man United should let Christiano Ronaldo go.
He writes in 'The Sporting Life' (available online) today.

Keble argues well and to the point.

Jack NSM

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Alex Keble makes a convincing case that Man United should let Christiano Ronaldo go.
He writes in 'The Sporting Life' (available online) today.

Keble argues well and to the point.

Jack NSM
He'll be at a Champions League team on the continent no doubt , probably Italy .

DIB

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm coming round to the view he needs to be released, even though he kept Man. Utd. in the hunt for a long time last season.

Jack.

Me too. I find it hard to believe that Chelsea are keen to recruit him.

A long and difficult season awaits for us Reds methinks.

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Watching the Arsenal v Everton pre season friendly, good game so far HT 2-0 Arsenal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.