• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

4 ohm avr

jarrod

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2013
west brom
AKA
jarrod
There are none Jarrod. Please elaborate what or why you want one and I'll try to help more.
i have just brought the celestion a series speakers a2 a1 a5 a6s which are rated at 4 ohms so i want a avr that will suit :D

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
Just plug them in and play.

all these figures are just nominal. Most AV amps have high wpc outputs and will be fine.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i have just brought the celestion a series speakers a2 a1 a5 a6s which are rated at 4 ohms so i want a avr that will suit :D
Go with a Legacy Processor + Hefty multi channel power amp instead if you need some proper grunt Jarrod. I've just retired my owned from new Audiolab 8000X7 7 channel power amp last week & am looking to move it on if interested. It drives 4ohm speakers with ease & does a really good job with my XTZ 99.36 mk.ii main speakers, which are a tricky load & relatively inefficient....all the slam & volume levels you could want with your Celestions & it's gr8 for 2ch stereo use & was my mainstay for this too until I bought my XTZ power amp a coupla years back.

I have the matching 8000AV processor which remains in current use & is also a great unit that can be brought bang up to date w current surround codec compatibility if used with a Blueray that has multi channel outs on phono/RCA's. :cool:

A big Arcam AVR would be a great alternative, as they're not bad in stereo.

moo-fi

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2009
Doncaster
AKA
Fred
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am looking at driving Kef Ref2.2 x 5 and found that very few AVR's are suitable, Anthem or Arcam are really the only ones I have found not to run in fright. A Processor with a proper power amp is the way ahead but expensive. If you look at the current draw from the mains of most AVR's you will see they are really lacking in the drive department, forget makers power claims as they are works of creative accounting.

Still looking though but it seems to be either a Rotel pre and power combi or an Arcam AVR (I object to Anthem UK price compared to across the pond).

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
Hmmm

Only gets four stars in WTF

Probably rubbish

But hey it is cheap and ignores all the advice in the posts above except mine, difference between me and the other posters is that I know nothing about AV :D

surayne

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you're driving something like Kef Refs then pre/power is the only sensible way to do it, but there are bargains to be had with older multichannel power amps. I've seen Meridian 558s go for under £1K, it would drive pretty much anything. The Emotivas from across the pond are highly rated too.

An alternative option is to use a stereo power amp or monos to drive the front speakers (using the pre-outs of the AVR) and use the inbuilt amps of the receiver for the surround speakers. I did this for a few years and it worked very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawuschel