• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

A cheap amplifier!

SCIDB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
3,330
261
128
, ,
Hi,

A mere snip at £329,000

sh833.jpeg


It's the Wavac SH-833. a 150 Watt Single Ended triode mono blockamplifier.

Interesting looking piece of kit. I wonder what it sounds like. Has anyone heard any Wavac stuff. It's now got UK distribution.

http://www.audioacoustics.co.uk/wavac/power%20amp/wavacsh-833.html

SCIDB

 

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
6,710
1,208
158
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This amp got reviewed in Stereophile about 18 months ago. I know it weighs something stupid and they had trouble sending it off for the technical measurements as the guys car suspension was in a bit of bother.

The bulk of those boxes are the power supplies from what I can remember of the review, and although it sounded good, as it should for the money, there weren't that many superlatives being thrown around.

 

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
18,069
717
173
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd rather have a house, a Ducati on the drive and a pair of audionote monoblocks in the living room for the same money.
smile.png


 

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
4,258
115
108
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think I read about it a couple of years ago, and its distortion measurements were unbelievably bad and very strong doubts were cast on its claimed power output.

 

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
9,718
441
128
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Come on, fellas, they may be expensive but they are a bargain. Stereophile said so...

"Yes, $350,000 is a great deal of money to pay for a pair of amplifiers. In fact, it's a great deal of money to pay for a luxury car: you could buy an Aston-Martin Vanquish and pocket around 100 grand. It's a fair price for a small summer home, but it won't buy you much, if anything, painted by Picasso

[...]

Yet people pay millions for a Picasso. From that perspective, these $350,000 amplifiers are a bargain"

See? It stands to reason. Anything that costs less than a Picasso painting is a bargain.

 

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
6,710
1,208
158
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
notaclue wrote:

Come on, fellas, they may be expensive but they are a bargain. Stereophile said so..."Yes, $350,000 is a great deal of money to pay for a pair of amplifiers. In fact, it's a great deal of money to pay for a luxury car: you could buy an Aston-Martin Vanquish and pocket around 100 grand. It's a fair price for a small summer home, but it won't buy you much, if anything, painted by Picasso

[...]

Yet people pay millions for a Picasso. From that perspective, these $350,000 amplifiers are a bargain"

See? It stands to reason. Anything that costs less than a Picasso painting is a bargain.
In relative terms like that he does have a point. People do spend money on those things - although an Aston Martin Vanquish WITH a Linn hifi in it and a few thousand in the pocket does sound tempting....

I have no problems with dumb ass priced objects like this amp - someone must want one, otherwise they wouldn't have made it, and I suppose if they sell 5 of them they'll think it was worth the effort.

We need people to do things like this and if any of the thinking trickles down and improves more affordable gear than it's a good thing.

 
M

murray johnson

Guest
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif
Couldn't agree more.

I'll bet there are several beneficial features in many of our cars that were originally tried out in very expensive F1 or similar racing cars. I don't begrudge Ferrari or Renault making those. They'd probably make one for me if I gave them enough money!

I'd just be interested to hearhow good (or not) these are.

There will be customers for them. There are people around for whom a price tag like that is irrelevant. Why they'd buy them is more interesting, for their sound, kudos of ownership, for the looks who knows?

 

JonR

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2005
1,475
5
0
Herts
AKA
Unknown
griffo104 wrote:

We need people to do things like this and if any of the thinking trickles down and improves more affordable gear than it's a good thing.
Yep, Naim have got something similar going on with the 555 CDP and their new Naimnet range of products. Irrespective of how successful these high-end products are themselves, the knowledge they have gained in designing them should trickle down into their more affordable ranges, making it good news for traditional and budget customers alike.

*** Ducks frantically and runs for cover ***

 
M

murray johnson

Guest
Hi Jon,

I think Naim do it the other way round. They start with their basic CD player and then just throw big transformers, caps and a few extra regulated supplies into it. There isn't any new technologyper se. (unless you know differently) I can't see Ferrari incorporating many of the design features of the Fiat Punto into one of their F1 cars butI suppose it might happen.

 
E

earl of sodbury

Guest
SCIDB wrote:

Hi,A mere snip at £329,000
notaclue wrote:

...."Yes, $350,000 is a great deal of money...
I note that the Exclusive To HiFi 1:1 dollar to pound conversion rate has, as usual, been employed
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif
:grrr:
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif
:grrr:
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif
38786-6.gif.132cf51c49b8cd26f08985f56fa67647.gif
gun_bandana.gif.34a70e258c8f5d8165134eb5137071e8.gif


 

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
24,222
1,354
208
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
earl of sodbury wrote:

SCIDB wrote:
Hi,A mere snip at £329,000
notaclue wrote:

...."Yes, $350,000 is a great deal of money...
I note that the Exclusive To HiFi 1:1 dollar to pound conversion rate has, as usual, been employed 
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif
:grrr:
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif
:grrr:
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif
 
38786-6.gif.132cf51c49b8cd26f08985f56fa67647.gif
 
gun_bandana.gif.34a70e258c8f5d8165134eb5137071e8.gif
Yeah, bastards! If they used a fair exchange rate and charged £195,000 I'd have a set like a shot. £329,000 is just a bit too expensive.
wub.png


 

Forum statistics

Threads
108,079
Messages
2,288,253
Members
69,154
Latest member
kawuschel