A Day Out in The Countryside, Coffee and Hifi.

• NEW! Linn Owners Club CLICK HERE and please click join club to have full access.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thought I would give myself a day off yesterday to indulge in the beautiful Sussex countryside and head off to Future audio in the equally lovely, historic town of East Ginstead. I gave Harbeth a wave as I drove past them, through beautiful, Lindfield village, and through the forest onto East Grinstead. I wanted to mention Future Audio. They have a beautiful old building that is very deep and narrow and beautifully set out. I must of counted at least four walls stacked out with vinyl,  both old and new. 

They have a comprehensive range of products, including Rega turntables, amps and CD players. Also a very nice full range of speakers, including Proac, db1 & db3, d20r & d30rs. Totem acoustics, Bowers & Wilkins, Spendor floorstanders & Classic range, Also a nice range of Dali speakers.

The high end electronics come from Sim Moon audio and Naim audio. They are also stockists of Arcam and have a nice AV system in their dem room. Their was a nice selection of cartridges from Dynavector and Project phono stages. The thing I liked about Future Audio is the lovely relaxing and welcoming environment they have created.  I must of spent 2 hours bending the ear of the very personable chap who was in the shop.

He encouraged me to look round, and I duly did, for the next few hours. Plenty of vinyl to flick through whilst asking questions about various streamers and some new speakers from their range to dem, next time I'm up. This lovely laid back approach reminded me of how it used to be when myself and others would spend hours in the local audio dealers talking about music and kit.

East Grinstead high street is full of very old buildings, some dating back to the 13th century and also hosts some lovely cafes and restaurants, not to mention some lovely old pubs in the high street. So a great opportunity to take yourself and the missus out to lunch and enjoy a lovely audio shop and some vinyl in the heart of rural Sussex. 

Ps, not connected in anyway. Other than being a sentimental old guy who loves to drink good coffee in beautiful surroundings, whilst lusting after my next potential piece of audio furniture!  I mean who doesn't!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lovely review,  they sound great!

This would be an excellent place to add that you aren't connected to them in any way, so your good experience doesn't get taken for a shill. Sad but these are cynical times.

MVJ

Henry👆🏼The biggest baddist Boxer! Sadly Missed.
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
Guiseley, Leeds,
AKA
Steve,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, I see what you mean Steve. Other end of the country really I guess. However I know you have some lovely old villages up your way, perhaps with audio shops!
Not that I know of mate☹️

Reactions: hiesteem

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mmmm. The only one I know that I’d bother with is DNA audio in Otley, recently bought a few things from. Nice chap Darren.

The other dealers (in a 20 mile radius) I’ve been to in the last 10 years or so, albeit only 3-4, have been shite.

• Upvote
Reactions: hiesteem and MVJ

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks so much for update , lindfield is indeed a beautiful village . east Grinstead of course made famous for treating the dreadful burns victims in the second world war . Great to see they have proac and moon 

• Upvote

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks so much for update , lindfield is indeed a beautiful village . east Grinstead of course made famous for treating the dreadful burns victims in the second world war . Great to see they have proac and moon 
Yes indeed. I find it difficult to turn down a demo of the moon and Naim streamers with proac and spendor speakers to  compare . What's a guy to do a!

PeteT59

Wammer
Jul 20, 2020
Brighton
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll give Harbeth a wave next July when I play cricket up there... And maybe even get as far as East Grinstead...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• Upvote

Jason P

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2009
Somerset
AKA
Errr...Jason
They are worth checking out, a great little shop with knowledgeable staff. As you say some nice vinyl in there too. Glad they've survived the recent craziness.

• Upvote

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Harbeth are at the bottom of the common next to peter & st james charity shop. Ps. Check out the charity shop In lindfield!, people seem to throw stuff out when it becomes old enough to dust, hoover or polish there furniture!

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They are worth checking out, a great little shop with knowledgeable staff. As you say some nice vinyl in there too. Glad they've survived the recent craziness.
Yes indeed. I enjoyed there vinyl. Plenty of it old and new. I would definitely say they have expanded what they sell. It's beautifully laid out. Felt like a child in a sweet shop really.

Sir_Franc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 10, 2005
East Sussex
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Funny, until reading this thread I thought the shop had closed as I couldn't find it in it's original location on the other side of the road! I even looked for it a few weeks ago when I cycled there from Crowborough via the Forest Way (ex-railway line). I'll have to take a peek through the window on my next ride there. 

• Upvote

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Funny, until reading this thread I thought the shop had closed as I couldn't find it in it's original location on the other side of the road! I even looked for it a few weeks ago when I cycled there from Crowborough via the Forest Way (ex-railway line). I'll have to take a peek through the window on my next ride there. 
It's very easy to miss and walk past without noticing their shop window, because it is so narrow. That's what is so charming about the shop and the old high street. The buildings in the high street are so old that all the shops retain their charm.

I was on foot and and nearly walked past it myself! They have a lovely moving electric train set and ski lift model in the window display. Passes by would stop to watch it, quite captivated by it.

When you walk into the shop they have a small display area, full of Rega turntables and amplifiers and a glass reception table displaying cartridges and phono stages. The shop is deep and narrow, and a lot of fun as you negotiate a few stairs into the vinyl area. As you continue to walk down, it opens up into the speaker display area and finally right at the back of the shop, is the demonstration room. Very charming environment really.

Reactions: Sir_Franc

SCIDB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
, ,
I may have to take a look at this shop. My brother lives in East Grindstead. I'll have to pop down in the new year at some stage.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I may have to take a look at this shop. My brother lives in East Grindstead. I'll have to pop down in the new year at some stage.
Yes, it really is a lovely area. It is close to the beautiful Ashdown forest, which is where "Winnie the pooh," was brought to life, by A A Milne. 

The shop is great, retains it's charm and has a good selection of vinyl, in very nice condition.  I love old buildings and natural environments, so feel blessed to live in the area.

You'll struggle to get a coffee for less than £3 when you visit one of the lovely old cafe's, but then 3 quid  is a sobering thought, after spending time thinking about the next potential audio purchase!

Reactions: SCIDB