Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the thread called hifi muppetry, the writer mentions his friend buying a TT because 2nd hand vinyl is so cheap....WHOA !!!!!! anyone noticed how certain charity shops, especially the one with ox in its name have suddenly jumped on the "rare vinyl" or "collectable vinyl" bandwagon?

Once a bargain hunters paradise, these places have become what i can only describe as rip off outfits ,with a "pricer" whose so called expertise sets the amount on the ticket, which, as a collector, and dj/ radio jockwith a fair amount of knowledge re the value, i can only think that this person thinks of a price, doubles it....doubles it again...then again, then adds 50% for good measure!

A recent visit had an Abba album in its "collectable" section, upon inspection it was basically crap, covered in scratches and surface marks, torn inner and outer sleeves, yet was priced at £8.50, yet in the next rack was an almost mint version at 99p!!!! and what makes me smile/grimace even more, was when i asked who in their right mind would go for the dearer ,crap condition one, the reply was " well....a collector would!!!!even after pointing out the other great nick, cheaper copy, the sales person was adamant their "pricer" knew his stuff, and despite me being in the music game for more years than i care to admit, what did i know by comparison????????
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

I left the shop bewldered, thinking im all for charity, but not being ripped off by something they had donated free in the first place!

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Charity shops are good for 80's records or Perry Como.

I think having a pricer has hurt the charity shops more than helped.

Saying that I never shop in Oxfam. A couple of the other shops here price their stuff fairly, and I'm happy to pay it.

I generally only go to a dealer I trust now and mostly that means audiophileusa

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't buy vinyl so can't comment on that, but have noticed their CD prices (especially in Oxfam music shops) are not the bargains they used to be. I now view them more as a way of choosing to give to charity when buying 2nd hand music rather than as a chance to pick up some music on the cheap. Presumably they know what they're doing and their revenue from music is increasing rather than being on the wane...

Dynamic Turtle

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 23, 2005
HADOOOOKEN!!!!, ,
machineman wrote:

These "charady" shops piss me off. They are staffed generally by fat, greedy , middle aged women who get first pickings.Charady "my arse"
Agreed, but they merely reflect the ills of society at large with regards to "charidy" and all the costs, greed and innefficiencies that go with it.

My mother used to work in one and she furnished me with some unbelievable bargains on a regular basis. Recently acquired a rare-ish DG Kleiber recording worth £25, for 25p!

Of course, someone in the town has cottoned on to this and opened his own record store which sources the vast majority of its content from the (ver large) number of charidy stors in the town. Oh, and I needn't tell how healthy his profit margins are!!

DT

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't bother with Oxfam any more but we have plenty of other charity shops round here and I check them out regularly for CDs. It's surprising what sometimes turns up. This morning I got two mint CDs for £3 each. I think one of them may have even been new. Under the shop price sticker it had a Virgin £11.99 sticker.

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
If as Dynamic Turtle suggested if shop dealers buy off all the cheap LPs from Oxfam so that could resale them in their shops or eBay to collectors and music lovers then that would really be sad indeed. So what's wrong if they put up the prices to reflect the real market value of these stuffs. If you don't agrees with the prices then buy them from secondhand record shops.

Having said that, this have always been the case for things that really have a market value like furnitures. Dealers have always been queuing to pick up all the best stuff only to be resale for profits. That is capitalism for you.

G

wolfgang wrote:

If as Dynamic Turtle suggested if shop dealers buy off all the cheap LPs from Oxfam so that could resale them in their shops or eBay to collectors and music lovers then that would really be sad indeed. So what's wrong if they put up the prices to reflect the real market value of these stuffs. If you don't agrees with the prices then buy them from secondhand record shops.Having said that, this have always been the case for things that really have a market value like furnitures. Dealers have always been queuing to pick up all the best stuff only to be resale for profits. That is capitalism for you.
I personally don't have a problem with the high prices of these records, but they don't reflect the condition. I have seen some high priced ones, with dreadfull covers no inners, and a disc that looks like torvil and dean have practised on, and they were asking over £20, now if it had been mint, then that would be different, but most s/h shops wouldn't even display this kinda stuff, the proiices in record collector are for the good stuff, not garage tatt

machineman

Wammer
New Wammer
Nov 5, 2005
, ,
After reading my post in the cold light of day, I must agree it was out of line and as such would urge Polar Bear or any other mods to delete it and edit any furtherreferences to it.

I apologise for any offence, I think it may have been the Stella talking.

Sir_Franc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 10, 2005
East Sussex
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It seems to me the staff at the shops beginning with "O", have no idea what they are selling when it comes to music. If you have a rumage through you'll often see 12" singles mixed in with albums marked up at the same price, also the same with CD's. That to me suggest there's a policy from above or someone who likes to think they know about music and puts a price on in the back room.

That being said, you can't blame them for trying to get as much as possible for them. Even if most of the albums they're trying to sell are The Sound of Music!!!!! I was once tempted to see how many different pressing's of the album I could get, but fortuneately I'm not quite that sad.
sos.gif.b46fa5e4a1b4ea9bb8774a15a6092288.gif

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
AK,

I think you are right. At the end of the day they need to clear the shelves and anythings that take forever to shift will come down in proce eventually. BTW do you guys really expect most grans to know what are the lastest fair prices of LPs for our kind of music? Having said that the Byres Road branch seems to have a shop dedicated to LPs and I have no idea what are the prices now. I bought a Mahler 5 LP for less then a pound from them 2 years back but never got around to buy a record player.

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
icehockeyboy wrote:

In the thread called hifi muppetry, the writer mentions his friend buying a TT because 2nd hand vinyl is so cheap....WHOA !!!!!! anyone noticed how certain charity shops, especially the one with ox in its name have suddenly jumped on the "rare vinyl" or "collectable vinyl" bandwagon?Once a bargain hunters paradise, these places have become what i can only describe as rip off outfits ,with a "pricer" whose so called expertise sets the amount on the ticket, which, as a collector, and dj/ radio jockwith a fair amount of knowledge re the value, i can only think that this person thinks of a price, doubles it....doubles it again...then again, then adds 50% for good measure!

A recent visit had an Abba album in its "collectable" section, upon inspection it was basically crap, covered in scratches and surface marks, torn inner and outer sleeves, yet was priced at £8.50, yet in the next rack was an almost mint version at 99p!!!! and what makes me smile/grimace even more, was when i asked who in their right mind would go for the dearer ,crap condition one, the reply was " well....a collector would!!!!even after pointing out the other great nick, cheaper copy, the sales person was adamant their "pricer" knew his stuff, and despite me being in the music game for more years than i care to admit, what did i know by comparison????????
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

I left the shop bewldered, thinking im all for charity, but not being ripped off by something they had donated free in the first place!
I mentioned this months back , the afore mentioned shop is useing someone or a collectors magazine on the pricing of vinyl.

Saw The Beatles ;Help they wanted £70 for it .

Still some bargains tho.

chezi.

Gaffer

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2005
South Blighty
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bought my TT for exactly that reason.     Local ChavConvertors has stacks of LP's at 50p each, some of them in really good nick
biggrin.png

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
it one of the reasons I hang on to mine, we have so many great record shops in Brighton, that I would sorely miss trawling them for gems.

Flicking through boxes of LP's is one of lifes great pleasures IMO.

Gaffer

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2005
South Blighty
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
James..my local Chavtastico-nvertors is on St James St (I live lower rock gdns)......where do you shop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles