Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For quite a few years I have been visiting an independent clothes shop with my wife and we know the owner quite well. She has just started using a turntable in the shop and was playing some Booker T. I asked if she had some Curtis Mayfield and she said that she may have an album where her husband was covering him. “An album” I say. And she says yes didnt you know he was a singer? I didn’t know.

He passed away last year and it was difficult for her to talk about him but she recounted a number of stories and she showed me some of his albums for example he used to be in a band with Andy Summers from the Police and he worked with a number of well known artists. It’s a shame that I never got to meet him. His name was Paul Williams. How well do we really know people and how many missed opportunities pass us by without us knowing? 

During his early career he joined Zoot Money's Big Roll Band on bass and vocals, alongside the guitarist Andy Summers.[3]He then replaced John McVie in John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, while also recording with Aynsley Dunbar and Dick Heckstall-Smith. In 1970 he joined the band Juicy Lucy as lead vocalist and recorded the album Lie Back and Enjoy It. This band included future Whitesnakeguitarist Micky Moody and featured in the 1971 film Bread.[4] Williams later collaborated with Moody on the album Smokestacks, Broomdusters and Hoochie Coochie Men in 2002.

In 1973 he joined the progressive rock group Tempest, led by Jon Hiseman on drums with Mark Clarke on bass and Allan Holdsworth on guitar. After relocating to the United States, he joined Holdsworth in the group known as I.O.U. and recorded the three critically acclaimed albums I.O.U.Road Games and Metal Fatigue.

His most recent touring band had been Blue Thunder, with release in collaboration with David Hentschel in 2018 of Blue Thunder 2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Williams_(British_singer)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles