A Huge DPD Nightmare Begins..

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A few have noticed I have ordered a Hana Umami cartridge from my favourite dealer up there in bonnie Scotland.

They did me a great PX , and organised the collect of the PX and delivery of the Hana, all to happen yesterday.

My other half was in all day to handle such matters of this magnitude.

The collection, early morning, by one DPD driver went as one would expect, doorbell rang, parcel taken, scanned, receipt.

The delivery, by another DPD driver, well.

I came out of meeting at 5ish and noticed an email saying it had been delivered. Called home, no delivery and a very grumpy girl annoyed that she has been in ALL day waiting. Checked email, and saw it said 'left in porch' - now, we don't have a porch, more just a landing on top of stairs open to the eyes of the world, and a picture of the box just left on the doorstep in full view.

She goes down, and there is no parcel there. Hunts around with me being somewhat animated on the phone, and no parcel anywhere.

Called in to the DPD to report what had happened. They were understanding and immediately gave DPD a call.

DPD came back this morning with the response that I had ticked the 'leave in the safe place' option on the delivery options, which surprised me, as I did not do this, and would never do this considering centralish London is not the place to be having expensive parcels left on doorsteps. So, the red mist descended.

Dealer asked them to evidence their claim (easily done as they will have IP address and times etc when this supposed delivery option was 'ticked') so we are awaiting further response from them.

I can see this becoming a complete nightmare.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Strider and Bazzer

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use the DPD app which links with any item being sent by someone including your dealer in Scotland. As it’s live, I can see minute by minute where they are to ensure I’m in.
Like you, I’ve never selected a safe place option so it should never happen.
I had something from UPS the other day and I did select text message updates but they never happened. The item was dropped at the doorstep, bell rang and they got back in van without checking it was in safe hands.
This is more common since Covid and continues to be used as an excuse for no interaction with recipient. Thinking a photo of item on doorstep isn’t acceptable and an excuse just to deliver more parcels in the day.
Photos should be with a shot of recipients feet and item in an open door.
If it’s the dealer I think it is, they do have an insurance and seeing a photo on a doorstep without evidence of recipient won’t be good enough for them either.

Good luck

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to hear that and hope that it works out for you. London is a terrible place to leave any package anywhere outside of a property. Here in Nottingham it's a completely different story.

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I always say: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself.

Never, ever, trust a courier.

Very true on used goods as its just not practical to be driving round the country buying new goods.

I am more annoyed at the blatant lying by DPD tbh.

I use the DPD app which links with any item being sent by someone including your dealer in Scotland. As it’s live, I can see minute by minute where they are to ensure I’m in.
Like you, I’ve never selected a safe place option so it should never happen.
I had something from UPS the other day and I did select text message updates but they never happened. The item was dropped at the doorstep, bell rang and they got back in van without checking it was in safe hands.
This is more common since Covid and continues to be used as an excuse for no interaction with recipient. Thinking a photo of item on doorstep isn’t acceptable and an excuse just to deliver more parcels in the day.
Photos should be with a shot of recipients feet and item in an open door.
If it’s the dealer I think it is, they do have an insurance and seeing a photo on a doorstep without evidence of recipient won’t be good enough for them either.

Good luck

Yeah, I am covered by my CC whatever happens, I have the photo of the parcel sitting on the step, as while DPD may hide behind 'data protection' by not supplying their evidence to the dealer, it won't wash with the bank - but this is then putting the dealer in the shizzle which is unfair as it wasn't there fault, but sadly, that's the way it works. It just gets a little tricky with the PX, but Section 75 does cover to full value, so it should be ok if I have to go that route.

At first I thought the driver was probably backed up, over-worked etc and was basically rushing, and thought a tiny, lightweight parcel probably wasn't anything significant, yet then I realised it would have taken five seconds to the ring the bell and deliver it properly.

The App is useful if you are in a place where your phone is on, which at the time it wasn't, hence why we have a door-bell/intercom lol :) DPD dont often put out delivery notifications my area till 11am.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I always say: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself.

Never, ever, trust a courier.
From Scotland? A cartridge? Really?
I’m not sure this is realistic.

Like @Rockchild , I use the DPD app and find that is a great part of a great service. I’d personally recommend DPD (along with Parcelforce) over any courier.

Reactions: StingRay and DomT

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Like @Rockchild , I use the DPD app and find that is a great part of a great service. I’d personally recommend DPD (along with Parcelforce) over any courier.

I have in the past, but not anymore. £3.5K item left on a doorstep in a city and then a bundle of lies to cover up their incompetence.

Can't say how they are recommendable, but ya know, we only live by our own experiences so until it happens to yourself (hopefully never) I can understand why you would.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

If it's not "realistic" to drive to Scotland for a cartridge, then (i) don't do so (ii) don't trust a courier to do so for you. Wait for the same item closer to home and drive there yourself.

I waited some time to find the s/h item of my desire, then took a day off work to do a 400 mile round trip to collect it, paying cash. NO WAY would I trust a courier to deliver it!

Reactions: smithy27

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it's not "realistic" to drive to Scotland for a cartridge, then (i) don't do so (ii) don't trust a courier to do so for you. Wait for the same item closer to home and drive there yourself.

I waited some time to find the s/h item of my desire, then took a day off work to do a 400 mile round trip to collect it, paying cash. NO WAY would I trust a courier to deliver it!

Could you imagine everyone who buys new stuff on the internet (everyone) taking to their cars to go and pick up things around the country? Meaning they would need to take days off, use the car, burn fuel for single purposes...it would be bedlam lol

As I said, second hand items are different and understandable.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sometimes, there are no options.

Quite apart from the fact that it may be unrealistic or unwarranted to travel the necessary distance, on other times collection is impossible. I buy and use a reasonable selection of parts, some of which are relatively costly. A few of the suppliers I use simply do not have any facilities to collect, and other things may be delivered direct from the USA or Europe.

Much as I would prefer not to use couriers, popping over to California to pick up £500 worth of transformers poses a few small problems.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think it depends on the "stuff". Suppliers of new stuff usually package it properly, but if you think no amount of packaging would protect it from a courier or you think the item is highly nickable you'll deffo fetch it yourself. And you'll factor in the time & travel so you may end up buying from somewhere closer at a higher price than the people with the biggest discount at the other end of the country.

• Upvote
Reactions: Le Baron

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think it depends on the "stuff". Suppliers of new stuff usually package it properly, but if you think no amount of packaging would protect it from a courier or you think the item is highly nickable you'll deffo fetch it yourself. And you'll factor in the time & travel so you may end up buying from somewhere closer at a higher price than the people with the biggest discount at the other end of the country.
There is no mention of a discount on the product, people buy from a distance for many reasons, not just price. I use a dealer in Scotland because the closest one to me can’t be bothered to communicate.
The point is, the delivery was irresponsible. Where purchased is irrelevant.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is no mention of a discount on the product, people buy from a distance for many reasons, not just price. I use a dealer in Scotland because the closest one to me can’t be bothered to communicate.
The point is, the delivery was irresponsible. Where purchased is irrelevant.
And I bought two pairs of Harbeths from the same dealer as Jon for the same reasons. They also have the best trade-in deal.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can’t remember which courier has the depot in Northampton servicing us but they have similarly blatantly lied on numerous occasions. Once I was waiting for a secure work laptop and mobile. Desk facing window, van didn’t even enter village, next thing they’d failed to deliver it because no-one was home. Challenged the driver when he brought it the next day; he’d “run out of time”. Another time “left in porch” we don’t have. Appalling and stressful. I wouldn’t generalise from one dreadful experience/rogue driver to dissing a whole company… except the Northampton folk as their back office is in on it!

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Well let’s just say that on the spectrum of opinions on use of couriers, you’re at one extreme end of it.

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have in the past, but not anymore. £3.5K item left on a doorstep in a city and then a bundle of lies to cover up their incompetence.

Can't say how they are recommendable, but ya know, we only live by our own experiences so until it happens to yourself (hopefully never) I can understand why you would.
It’s one-off. Who would you use instead? UPS? DHL? I’ve had repeated issues with both, but still have no choice sometimes as the seller decides.

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A little update..

DPD told dealer I requested 'Leave in front porch' (didnt). Dealer asked me to call DPD CS.

I called DPD Customer Services, and he told me the sender has put 'ok to leave in safe place' on the consignment. While this does not excuse the driver of not ringing the bell, it may explain why he did what he did. However, it could just be more smoke and mirrors from DPD.

I did get a recording of this conversation and Ive sent this to the dealer (and yes before anyone starts I know its not legal and cant be used in court blah blah no interest myself, I just want to ensure I have my evidence).

I will keep y'all posted.

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a recent, similar experience, two HDDs being delivered by Yodel. Delivery would require "a photo in your open front door" so no delivery options available.

App said it had been delivered, it hadn't, contacted CS on chat who said its a technical mistake.

Next day, it was out for delivery again, scheduled towards the end. Van passed my street early on and by the time mine was due, he was miles away. Then tracking said there had been a failed delivery, I should contact CS. Did that, they asked for more info on where I lived. On a main road!!

Third day, out for delivery again. With about 40 deliveries still in front of mine, app said it had been delivered to my neighbour! No photo. Opened front door to collect it, and there it was. I reckon the driver just wanted to do his deliveries in the quickest time with least hassle.

I've found DPD to be pretty good but Yodel is another matter.

Last edited:

Trizza

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 29, 2008
Crediton, Devon, UK
AKA
Tristan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have had DPD leave things on my doorstep several times usually boxes of wine. I had UPS leave a £3.5k Esoteric player left on my doorstep, just rang the bell and walked off. Worst are definitely Hermes or what ever they are called now, bought some Grade GS1000 headphones and they basically ran back to their car after leaving it on the doorstep, didn't even ring the bell. The box looked as if someone had pushed a knife through it several times. Luckily only damage was to the headband. They only allow the sender to raise a claim as well which poses a problem.
I would always collect (and demo) if possible but sometime it is not possible due to some things being rare or too desirable to come up often.
I hope this gets sorted with minimum of fuss, sounds like DPD don't have a leg to stand on to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles