• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

A new physical format is being introduced (or marketed)

wizons

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 19, 2009
Bucks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The format is not entirely new as such. It's Blu Ray, but audio only high def blu ray discs are being introduced. To be fair, this seems to be aimed at classical music listeners, but the likes of Universal are planning about 50 discs over the coming year and other classical labels are joining in, eg, Naxos, Gimmell, 2L. This is interesting and presumably intended to replace SACD, which has had far more success with classical than with rock. Presumably, the record companies are also taking notice of the number of blu ray players people have, which will play the audio only discs perfectly well. I assume and hope it's also a nod to older listeners, who are perhaps a little resistant to downloads.

This means that some releases will be available in CD, SACD, blu ray and various resolutions of download. Of course, most of us here know the debates surrounding (no pun intended) high resolution formats etc, but I wonder if this time a decent niche can be established in the market for a hi res physical format, given the technology to play these discs is widespread ( :upgrade: ).

Pros and cons of high def were discussed this morning on Radio 3's CD Review and the following link should take you straight to the discussion. If it doesn't, go to 1 hour 18mins and 50secs into CD Review on the iPlayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03nc1wn/CD_Review_Building_a_Library_Schumann_Symphony_No_1/

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another way of trawling their massive back catalogue and selling a few scraps of 'remastered' stuff over again, or a route out of the SACD dead-end. Discuss... They have shown little interest in the Hi-Res side of their catalogue, but maybe if 1st release material comes through on blu-ray it will sell a bit; I assume it might hold back the piracy boys since the download size of these files is likely to be huge isn't it?

wizons

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 19, 2009
Bucks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another way of trawling their massive back catalogue and selling a few scraps of 'remastered' stuff over again, or a route out of the SACD dead-end. Discuss... They have shown little interest in the Hi-Res side of their catalogue, but maybe if 1st release material comes through on blu-ray it will sell a bit; I assume it might hold back the piracy boys since the download size of these files is likely to be huge isn't it?
No bigger than a 'studio quality' surround sound download. I suppose it's cheaper for the labels to issue back releases first of all as a means of ascertaining the level of interest. What is interesting about the discussion on Radio 3 is that with regards to surround sound, opinion seems to be quite clear that the advantages over stereo (including hi res) are considerable. I can imagine that a surround sound system based on what wammers might call 'mid fi' components would sound much better then a top quality 2 channel system, simply because the surround sound (if mixed properly and in a manner that attempts to recreate the acoustic of the recording venue) offers a much closer approximation of the live sound. Any slight deficiencies in speaker quality etc would perhaps be more than compensated for by the surround sound element.

Anyway, it's pure speculation as I don't have the space to accommodate the numerous speakers required.

uncl_nigel

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2008
SE France
AKA
Nigel
The two I bought some time back are neither multi-channel nor back catalogue - the 2013 new albums by French pop artists Zazie and Mylène Farmer.

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Stockfich records has introduced dmm CD /sacd format which takes a signal direct from the copper cutting lathe , not sure about all technology but I do know there std CD pressings are the best produced CD s I've heard so these dmm discs look to be something a little special

wizons

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 19, 2009
Bucks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Stockfich records has introduced dmm CD /sacd format which takes a signal direct from the copper cutting lathe , not sure about all technology but I do know there std CD pressings are the best produced CD s I've heard so these dmm discs look to be something a little special
Doesn't that limit the sound quality as the cutting lathe is essentially a tool for cutting vinyl?

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No idea probably best you take a look at there website for a more detailed explanation of the process they use

silencio

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
AKA
Chris
Another way of trawling their massive back catalogue and selling a few scraps of 'remastered' stuff over again, or a route out of the SACD dead-end. Discuss...
Just another way to sell us the same "precious" digital rights once again... Kind of sick, really... How about they start producing top quality, well mastered records first?

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
, , at home
AKA
happy enough
not a hope of being any better than the average stuff we get already , I know I sound all hum bug , but you got the same sods at the same companys, with the same attitudes, etc, and the same guys sorting the masters ,

more chance of a Cornish ice cream helping this the diet plan ,

lowendall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zymaze