A simple method to upgrade Windows 10 to 11 on Unsupported hardware if you want to give it a try.

hermano

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 1, 2013
Just be aware:

"Installing Windows 11 media on a PC that does not meet the Windows 11 minimum system requirements is not recommended and may result in compatibility issues. If you proceed with installing Windows 11 on a PC that does not meet the requirements, that PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. "

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

Dave Brown

Beer, Curry and Cornish Pasty Tester. BBQ Nut.
Wammer
Aug 17, 2018
Didcot
AKA
Dave Brown
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder if there's an upgrade path for my old 486DX50 running Win2000...... 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Strider

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just be aware:

"Installing Windows 11 media on a PC that does not meet the Windows 11 minimum system requirements is not recommended and may result in compatibility issues. If you proceed with installing Windows 11 on a PC that does not meet the requirements, that PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. "
If you use the above ISO method and remove the dll file then Windows 11 will not be able to see that your PC does not meet the standard. As you PC is old Microsoft do not offer any support for your PC with 10 let alone 11 . Anything goes wrong and you will get the standard advice do a new clean install of Windows .

So far Windows Update has worked fine for me and has updated twice now since install . Just checked it now and it has added another update which is downloading as I am typing .

• Upvote
Reactions: hermano and Tony_J

JackoUK

Mr
Wammer
May 31, 2017
Consett, Co. Durham
AKA
John F. Jackson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have concluded Windows 11 continues the 'fine' tradition of $MSFT releases:

XP good (eventually)

Vista crap

W7 good

W8 crap

W10 good

W11 crap

[The 'somewhat luddite' Rabski is thus seen to be right at least 50% of the time ;-)  ]

To qualify as crap you have to achieve at least one, but preferably more, of:

- obsolete a large proportion of the installed base (even though your stated corporate aim is to have the same version running everywhere and a good chunk pf said base is your own new hardware)

- introduce a reduced functionality UI start, resembling OSX

- promote revenue-earning crapware centre-stage

- fail to deliver the most popular enhancements requested by the customer contact programme e.g. tabbed Explorer, ReFS, ... 

- fail to deliver the pre-release features claimed as worthwhile enhancements at launch e.g. Android subsystem, existing app enhancements, ...

The BS reasoning for the necessity of incompatibilities - security - means that it is inadvisable to upgrade a non-confirming device, since $MSFT will unilaterally and arbitrarily halt the delivery of future security updates via Windows Update at some time that suits them. A customer-focussed company would have engineered the product with a simple opt in or out switch, just as one can choose whether a user account has admin. privileges or not for example. This is a pure marketing release aimed to monetise the failed Windows 10X deployment and stimulate the PC market for XMAS.

There is one Windows version I believe would be of interest to hi-fi enthusiasts, Windows 11 on Arm, for then we might be able to install the OS on a Pi SBC.

Hopefully Windows 12 will be with us in 2025, when W10 support expires!

Did I mention yet that I don't like 11?

JTW

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2014
Cheshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've gone to Windows 11 on a newish laptop which I use for non critical stuff and so far so good, I won't be in a rush to upgrade my main desktop though. I have another older laptop which I will try to upgrade using this info when I get a chance.

karlinamillion

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2007
Londinium
AKA
Karl
If your going to do all this;

Step 1. Clone the computers HD*

Step 2. Remove original disc and replace with clone

Step three. Deep breath...go

*I recommend EZ gig