Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For Sale: Acoustic Energy AE2 mk 1 (According to AE they were built in 1996)

Price: £802801800 plus p&p at cost or pick up or WAM taxi or pick up at Lurch's bakeoff.

Purchased from boardsofcanada in Feb 2019 after having heard a pair at a Wam Show and took the opportunity to buy these when they came available.

I was not disappointed and have enjoyed my time with them, but now I have the Posselt Albatross speakers, the AE2's are sitting there not getting used.

I have successfully driven them with a SET valve amp with approximately 10watts output and a solid state class A amplifier with 100wats output.

Since being purchased they have been resprayed, as when I bought them they had a number of scratches which were needed to be addressed.

The resprayer was asked to match as close as possible the original finish and in my opinion he did a very good job. The visual condition is now 9 maybe even 9.5 out of 10.

No damage to any of the drive units or grills.

Stands not included in this sale.

Dimensions: 15.15" (385mm) H by 9.25" (235mm) W by 11.8" (300mm) D.

Weight: 37.5lb (17kg) each.

Description: Two-way, reflex-loaded, stand-mounted loudspeaker.

Drive-units: 1" (25mm) metal-dome tweeter, two 4.5" (110mm) metal-cone woofers.

Crossover frequency: 3kHz. Crossover slopes: 4th-order, 24dB/octave.

Frequency response: 65Hz–18kHz ±2.5dB, 50Hz–22kHz ±4dB.

Sensitivity: 91dB/W/m (2.83V).

Nominal impedance: 8 ohms (5.5 ohms minimum at 50Hz and 250Hz, 16 ohms maximum at 27Hz).

Power Handling: Amplifier requirements: up to 250W.

1635848387881.jpg

1635848387900.jpg

1635848387872.jpg

1635848449066.jpg

Last edited:

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can remember two Wam Show moments involving AE2s.

First the sisters Flak Monkey had a pair driven by their DIY amps (inspired by Rod Elliot, the Oz hifi 'guru', one year; and the second occasion was even more memorable when the 'cogniscenti' were gathered in a room on the first floor, late on having set up that day. There was myself and Martin Ware, my helper, Bandit Pilot, Batterredhaggis and Rabski who were copiloting some Wilson Puppies and LV Auditoriums on the first floor and a few others. Maverick was DJing to great effect and the vino was flowing. Great times!

Really enjoyed the AE2s both times.

Dont forget my Wam Taxi to the Midlands and a bit further on the weekend of the 5/6 Febuary.

Jack

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great times indeed, Jack.  I still have my mk1s as in this thread, and latterly a minty pair of mk2 in rosewood. No intentions of parting with either any time soon. They are a special speaker!
I remember that weekend well. Or, as was the custom for Scalford, I remember parts of it. Notably you taking the p*ss out of me trying to lug 40 kilos of 845 amp up the stairs after having made the usual error of hitting the bar immediately on arrival 🤣

Anyway, the AEs are cracking things. I've had the pleasure of extended listening on a number of occasions.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember that weekend well. Or, as was the custom for Scalford, I remember parts of it. Notably you taking the p*ss out of me trying to lug 40 kilos of 845 amp up the stairs after having made the usual error of hitting the bar immediately on arrival 🤣

Anyway, the AEs are cracking things. I've had the pleasure of extended listening on a number of occasions.
Iirc it was a Plinius you were lugging up those stairs, until I foolishly took your place. You actually looked close to death me ole mate.  

Anyway, these AE2s are good and somebody should buy them. If for no other reason than to stop me attempting to run 3 pairs stacked 😆

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Iirc it was a Plinius you were lugging up those stairs, until I foolishly took your place. You actually looked close to death me ole mate.  

Anyway, these AE2s are good and somebody should buy them. If for no other reason than to stop me attempting to run 3 pairs stacked 😆
Nah, it was the 845. You don't think Jamie would have trusted me with the Plinius do you 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: bandit pilot

flak monkey

Weirdo Mosher Freak
Wammer Plus
Dec 24, 2010
Norfolk, UK
AKA
Sera
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can remember two Wam Show moments involving AE2s.

First the sisters Flak Monkey had a pair driven by their DIY amps (inspired by Rod Elliot, the Oz hifi 'guru', one year; and the second occasion was even more memorable when the 'cogniscenti' were gathered in a room on the first floor, late on having set up that day. There was myself and Martin Ware, my helper, Bandit Pilot, Batterredhaggis and Rabski who were copiloting some Wilson Puppies and LV Auditoriums on the first floor and a few others. Maverick was DJing to great effect and the vino was flowing. Great times!

Really enjoyed the AE2s both times.

Dont forget my Wam Taxi to the Midlands and a bit further on the weekend of the 5/6 Febuary.

Jack
Ahh yes good times!

These are a bargain for someone!

• Upvote
Reactions: chrisph

batteredhaggis

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 29, 2013
East Sussex
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well Chris is a good friend and I feel I ought to add somewhat to his thread...

First, I know AE2s rather well, not only having been in the room at what was a very special Scalford moment in 2017 🤣 

Still (just) as a teenager, I worked at Doug Brady Hifi on Monmouth Street in Covent Garden (sadly that particular shop is long gone). AE1s were remarkably popular then and were often sold with a fabulous Krell KSA50 to power them. IIRC the AE2s were twice the price, and competed, at least laterally, with SD Acoustics SD1s and more directly with early Sonus Faber Electa Amator IIs. Heady days.

Inevitably we sold AE2s less frequently than AE1s, but they certainly sold. One of the most memorable pairings was with an early, wafer-thin, gold-anodised, two-box Jeff Rowland preamp (only hifi can bring out the tricolon of hyphenation). I only wish I could remember what the hell it was called. 'Concentripated' probably. Coupled with a Musical Fidelity A370 power amp it was simply gorgeous. I didn't know valves much back then, but in a way, perhaps I did...

Wishing Chris well with his sale, and may I suggest to the lucky new owner they play as a matter of urgency (on vinyl of course), Fast Car by Tracy Chapman. With a proper Class A amp and to hell with the volume.

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many thanks from all those who have commented so positively on these speakers.

I take my hat off to the linguistic mastery of the comment from @batteredhaggis "wafer-thin, gold-anodised, two-box Jeff Rowland preamp (only hifi can bring out the tricolon of hyphenation)."  Good to hear from you Jamie.

Someone will come to their senses soon and grab this opportunity I am sure.

In reality it is no hardship for me to keep them for swapping in and out of my system.  Secretly, I probably do not want anyone to buy them, so may increase the price soon :)

Reactions: MVJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.