• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Adding Bypass Capacitors?

robbie010

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 24, 2016
Manchester
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just looking for a little education here, I bought a recap kit for a Revox reveiver and it has been supplied with capacitors that are to be used as bypass caps, mainly little 100nf box caps.

The instructions are in broken english (the kit is from Germany) but it basically says that the caps are to be soldered in parallel on the solder side of the PCB’s. It does say that the units have survived this far without them and that they don’t need to be installed but they wouldn’t be without them.

Can someone educate me on the benefits of installing these bypass caps as apposed to not?

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
with values like 100nf are they likely to be letting RF leak to ground?
Could be.

I always thought the main virtue of bypass caps was speed. They may not hold much charge but they can give it up faster than a bigger cap thereby having benefits for transient response.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Could be.

I always thought the main virtue of bypass caps was speed. They may not hold much charge but they can give it up faster than a bigger cap thereby having benefits for transient response.
Depends on the 'what and where'.

The jury is out, basically. IMO and IME they can sometimes be beneficial in power supplies, but I would never use them across signal coupling capacitors. I don't buy the 'speed' argument and the corollary of it anyway is that it could cause 'smearing' because frequencies would be differently affected in terms of timing.

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Proof is in the pudding fit them run for a couple of months then take them out and evaluate without them.

I've used Russian surplus teflons to good effect in the past as well as silver foil Duelunds their JDM bypass cap on the output capacitors and it made one of the most noticeable changes I've yet experienced of any high end foil capacitor tried so far. For £31 each for the silver foils compared to fuses foo speaker cables nos tubes etc it's performance for peanuts imo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdak02