Linn Owners

Adieu Kinsky IOS

CounterTenor

Wammer
Mar 3, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After updating my iPhone to iOS 16.1.2, Kinsky no longer works. While the app opens, it finds not a room, nor connects to the system. I have not updated the iPad and it functions well there.
Many will not notice this loss, but there were many things I liked about it: crisp album art, speed, ease of use.

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes still working on iPadOS 16.1.1. I suspect (hope) Linn will fix this as Kinsky has still been getting occasional updates.

Correction: Sorry I misread the original comment as referring to Kazoo not Kinsky! Kinsky stopped working on my MAC sometime ago and haven't had it on my iPad for ages...

Last edited:

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes still working on iPadOS 16.1.1. I suspect (hope) Linn will fix this as Kinsky has still been getting occasional updates.
Kinsky is/was one of the best sounding control point on iOS. Unfortunately Kinsky isn‘t available in the App Store, so I guess there will be no more updates. It‘s very unlikely that Linn supports three control points for iOS.

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you really mean to say that? How can a control point influence the sound at all?

‘troll
We have discussed this several times. Open Home vs. UPnP etc. etc.

If you don‘t hear the difference, you can be happy because you can use the Control Point with the best user experience.

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I use Kazoo/Kinsky then my ADSM says Playlist, if I use JRiver Panel then my ADSM says UPnP. So something is different, but if these differences change the sound. I cannot hear sonic differences, but perhaps another listener could. As I’ve posted previously, I can’t hear differences from different network configurations or protocol changes and logically can’t understand why they should exist. However, as I can’t borrow somebody else’s ears …

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nestor, can you play gapless using this? I thought one of the main reasons for 'Playlist' was to achieve gapless - though I am sure it is perfectly possible to achieve this using UPNP.
There may be a small gap, but I found it hard to be definitive. I have JRiver set to no gap before and after - so try to play everything gapless. I compared Linn App and JR Panel and there may be a fraction of a second more silence with JR Panel. I'll rip and give the CD below a go tomorrow; if it doesn't play gapless it's unlistenable (as it was when I made the mistake of playing it in my car), but it sounds fantastic my home CDP.

1670454283556.png

CounterTenor

Wammer
Mar 3, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Problem solved. When I migrated from an iPhone 11 to a 13, Apple turned off the “access to local networks” 🤬
Anywho, Kinsky rises like Lazarus, and lives again.

• Thanks
Reactions: 90sLinn and uk030

VinylHabit

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2016
The fact that this discussion is on how to use Kinsky speaks volumes!

Kazoo is absolutely terrible, the weakest link in the Linn system. I just don't understand why they haven't brought out the Linn app on android. It has been years since it was released on Apple.

Or even better a new app altogether?

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Maybe if you like Kinsky, petition Linn to open-source it so community could maintain it.

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just don't understand why they haven't brought out the Linn app on android. It has been years since it was released on Apple.
They have (well nearly). There is a thread on here inviting people to download a Beta version from Play Store. For a beta it works well (mostly) - or as well as the IOS version which I think is fine but YMMV. As warned a couple of buttons don't work and the alphabetic side bar is missing.

Imseti

Menmaatre Seti I
Wammer Plus
Feb 16, 2022
Gloucestershire
AKA
Seti I
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe if you like Kinsky, petition Linn to open-source it so community could maintain it.
Luckily I use a few decent computers for music and Kinsky/Kazoo - Kinsky being my fave by far, so don't have to deal with this iPad/Mobile phone type technology thank God.

I agree with you, Kinsky is just too good to neglect in the sort of tech you're using.

VinylHabit

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2016
They have (well nearly). There is a thread on here inviting people to download a Beta version from Play Store. For a beta it works well (mostly) - or as well as the IOS version which I think is fine but YMMV. As warned a couple of buttons don't work and the alphabetic side bar is missing.
Cheers for the heads up.

That is good news, and I wasn't aware they had finally gotten around to doing this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles