AE Evo3 or my Kans?

a91gti

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2014
Peterborough
AKA
Andrew
There is a geezer near me flogging a pair of evo3.

I've never heard these or any other Acoustic Energy speakers so I'm torn. Do I knock the Kans out and grab these?

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They couldn't be more different to the Kans, so the only way to find out is to listen to them in your system.

You can always move them on if you get them at a good price.

a91gti

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2014
Peterborough
AKA
Andrew
Cheers guys.

Having had a read up on the evo I shall watch them and see but I'm not feeling that buzz.

I've got the Kans singing so am reluctant to lose their wonder.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And should have said I would have thought they would have been a far better match for the rest of your system IMO.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And should have said I would have thought they would have been a far better match for the rest of your system IMO.
I share Lindsay's opinion. AE have made, and are still making, some really brilliant speakers. I loved my Kans too, several versions of them, but I figured out after a while that I was more in love with what the little box could do, rather than how it sounded. I understand if you cant get your head round that btw. :D

a91gti

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2014
Peterborough
AKA
Andrew
I get that actually and until I got the Kans sited properly and sounding soooooo good I'd have leapt.

The other thing of course is that the ae are just one of a crowd while my hair shirt heart knows the Kans have something about them.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I get that actually and until I got the Kans sited properly and sounding soooooo good I'd have leapt.The other thing of course is that the ae are just one of a crowd while my hair shirt heart knows the Kans have something about them.
Not knocking the Kans mate. They are magic little things, or can be when sited and partnered correctly. If you are happy, don't fix that which isn't broken.

But on the other hand............

How will you know if you're missing something if you don't try it? There is no law that says you cant get something to try, and move it on if it doesn't float your boat.

My entire system is made up from happy accidents, and I intend to have a few more.

a91gti

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2014
Peterborough
AKA
Andrew
I've already talked myself out of them pal.

Cheaply mass produced floorstanders or the second most precise speaker of the many I've owned?

I'd have the 3090's back and the APM22es (best ever owned) any day but as you say, "if it ain't broke...".

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
How will you know if you're missing something if you don't try it? There is no law that says you cant get something to try, and move it on if it doesn't float your boat.
My thoughts too.

I owned for Kans for 25 years and loved them all that time. This was before Hi Fi was a hobby. They just happened to be the speakers that I listened to music on. Great little things.

A few years ago I found myself with a new hobby of Hi Fi. I quickly realsed that for me there were better speakers out there, so I sold them. No regrets.

Ricks approach is mine too. Try it and see, it may work for you too.

a91gti

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2014
Peterborough
AKA
Andrew
I do understand guys and appreciate the input.

I have however owned many different speakers (I dread to think how many, at least 100) ranging from crap (fender cabs) to legendary (Leak 3090) so have a fair idea of what I'm up to.

Fatmarley

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 12, 2008
Gloucestershire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A sub? Loads of bass here pal, I reckon I could give my old 3090's a fair fight.
I had mk2 Kans and when set-up tight against a solid wall, on Kan stands, with a Naim Nap 250 and modified pre-amp/CDP I could get some very good punch from Kans, but depth was always missing. I added a good quality sub (Rel Strata 5) and it made a HUGE improvement.

You'll get better bass than a lot of three way floor standers with a sub, for a number of reasons - The Allison Effect, the fact that it's active and has adjustable phase and level, the fact that the driver is designed to produce sub-bass and has a very high xmax. The fact that the box is as solid as a rock and away from the midbass and tweeter and the fact that you can move the sub to suite your room acoustics.

Some people think that a sub wont keep up with their speakers but this is a myth. The Bk sub that I linked is sealed with a box q of 0.5. A box q of 0.5 will be very fast and accurate. Some subs are designed for av use and have a high q and as a result, slow bass.

a91gti

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2014
Peterborough
AKA
Andrew
Just happens I'm in the process of kicking a twenty year weed habit so am a trifle tetchy.

While I appreciate the advice given by folk above I really do know a little bit about speakers et al.

The Kans on modded stands with three spikes on top, placed 2/3 inches off the back wall and 18 from the sides really do give a boom in the right place.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just happens I'm in the process of kicking a twenty year weed habit so am a trifle tetchy.While I appreciate the advice given by folk above I really do know a little bit about speakers et al.

The Kans on modded stands with three spikes on top, placed 2/3 inches off the back wall and 18 from the sides really do give a boom in the right place.
Good move son (ditching the habit).

I've had Kans in the past and they are capable of great things. Highly musical and involving.

They certainly do bass, but the point of adding a sub is not necessarily to add extra bass, but to clean it up and fill out the ragged bits. You might be surprised...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles