Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
…… and the first tweak (for aesthetic reasons) has already crossed my mind. I’d like to find longer cables than the stock one that linn issues with the Akubariks. When I spoke to Colin at linn HQ he said they should be standard 1.8/2m power cables but they seem shorter. I made the mistake of not measuring them and now the whole system is in place. Maybe i’ll compare lengths once the speakers have found their sweet position but from the looks of it i’ll have to get longer cables so that they can be pushed that far wide and into the room. 

Has anybody compared their dsm/amp cables to see if they are approximately the same length as the Akubarik cables. I need the demand Akubarik cables to meet at the same distrobox in the Centre of the console so that the power can be pulled out incase of an emergency (lightening strikes etc)

1d428f913e2c57c42ce1755a4b129408.jpg

Linn Basik + Adsm/3 >> Akubariks

Suffolkboy

Wammer
Apr 19, 2020
All mains leads from Linn are the same length.  I don't like akubarik too far out, or too wide, so they may be ok.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Available up to 12 feet in length. This is 14 gauge. Linn standard cable is 18 gauge, which is all that is needed as the Akubariks don't draw more than 5 amps. Most importantly, it carries the UL seal, so it has been certified to work safely.

I use the same for my Akubariks but in 3 foot lengths.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Computer-IEC-320-C13-P007-006/dp/B0027JRMD0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=12BCXJVX5UGLH&keywords=triplite+power+cord&qid=1640630029&sprefix=triplite+power%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-1

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
What do you have them plugged into Zee?

For anything with power amps inside, I find direct to the wall is the best.  Conditioners / distribution units / regnerators best avoided.  They'd be good for the Exakt electronics inside the speaker modules, but not so much for the power amps.  I think the downside on the power amps will over ride any benefits on the DAC stuff.

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What do you have them plugged into Zee?
For anything with power amps inside, I find direct to the wall is the best.  Conditioners / distribution units / regnerators best avoided.  They'd be good for the Exakt electronics inside the speaker modules, but not so much for the power amps.  I think the downside on the power amps will over ride any benefits on the DAC stuff.
No wall outlets to the left and right. Just one outlet behind the tv which I have changed from 2 sockets to 6. Then a Amazon power strip to the left for the lights and the same on the right. Hence the idea of the distribution box (no surge protection or conditioning) so that the source and speakers are all at least at the same distribution box/power strip.

The adsm and the speakers are plugged into this:

https://audiosensibility.com/blog/products-2/power-distribution/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: akamatsu

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No wall outlets to the left and right. Just one outlet behind the tv which I have changed from 2 sockets to 6. Then a Amazon power strip to the left for the lights and the same on the right. Hence the idea of the distribution box (no surge protection or conditioning) so that the source and speakers are all at least at the same distribution box/power strip.

You would do well to have Steven at Audio Sensibilities custom build you a pair of longer power cords for each of your Akubariks, using some quality Furutech components.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Back in the day, the conventional wisdom was to plug one power distribution strip/box into the wall, and plug everything else into the strip. I still do this with my surround system. I'm confident that it doesn't really matter as long as you have power. Dynamik will take good care of things.

• Upvote
Reactions: Moomintroll

petecallaghan

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 4, 2015
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently changed my power set up, inspired by the advice published by Frederik Lejonklou.

My HiFi alcove has 8 wall sockets, so originally I plugged each device into a wall socket.

All components are now connected to a cheap basic 4-way mains distribution block (no light or switches), plugged into a single mains socket, in this order:   1) Hakai (streamer), 2) Axis, 3) Kinki (phono pre), 4) Boazu (integrated amp).

This brought a surprising (to me) and pleasant improvement.

I haven't experimented with the order on the distribution block.

I'd love to know what's going on to cause these differences ...

petecallaghan

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 4, 2015
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back in the day, the conventional wisdom was to plug one power distribution strip/box into the wall, and plug everything else into the strip.
Have you come across an explanation for this? I'm curious as it seems to make a worthwhile positive difference.

HH2010

Linn tune exile
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
... I’ll have to get longer cables so that they can be pushed that far wide and into the room.  ...
Many people think that hearing differences in power cables etc. is nuts.

This is for those who are nuts - including me. :D

+1 for distribution from a central point.

In that philosphy I'm using a music line 'powerigel'. It is build with standard Naim power cords, which are welded, not soldered, together inside the 'powerigel'. Two of them I needed to extend. I choose Naim power cables. Acc. to the dealer, Naim power cables are cloesest to Linn and available e.g. with 5m length. They are not high-end priced, I paid some 20 Euros. Don't know anything about availability in the US.

From our experience over here and following tune dem philosophy standard Linn power chords are best with Linn devices, followed by Naim standard cables. High end special power chords are often interesting but never succeded against Linn standard in the long run.

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@HH2010: can confirm all but not the „powerigel“. I use the cheaper standard musicline. We ask for a small batch (around 50) of these with Linn cables. 
Powerigel: the older versions were „ok“, the newer versions are a no go (from my point of view).

Older Powerigel on the Justin (small TimeTable) is a nice improvement.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have you come across an explanation for this? I'm curious as it seems to make a worthwhile positive difference.
I suspect, that this approach provides two benefits. Firstly, it enables all connected devices to be grounded together on the same bus bar and as close together as possible. Similar to a Naim Hydra. Secondly, it may provide some, small, isolation from noise on the main house circuit.

”Back in the day”, to coin a phrase, we used extension cords in LK aktiv systems. One for the source components and one for the power amps. These would be plugged into the same wall socket, but kept sensitive circuits one step removed from power amp transformers. I spoke to a couple of the engineers at Linn when installing a dedicated mains circuit for my current system.At the time, their recommendation was for separate feeds from the fuse box for source and power components. However, they based that on the installation they had in R&D, which was 10mm2 cable runs, but these were 50 metres in length from the fuse. My connections were much shorter than this and they agreed that a single circuit for the whole system would work just as well.

Like @akamatsu, I don’t regard it it as a big deal these days with SMPS.

YMMV

’troll

Last edited by a moderator:

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Many people think that hearing differences in power cables etc. is nuts.

This is for those who are nuts - including me. :D

+1 for distribution from a central point.

In that philosphy I'm using a music line 'powerigel'. It is build with standard Naim power cords, which are welded, not soldered, together inside the 'powerigel'. Two of them I needed to extend. I choose Naim power cables. Acc. to the dealer, Naim power cables are cloesest to Linn and available e.g. with 5m length. They are not high-end priced, I paid some 20 Euros. Don't know anything about availability in the US.

From our experience over here and following tune dem philosophy standard Linn power chords are best with Linn devices, followed by Naim standard cables. High end special power chords are often interesting but never succeded against Linn standard in the long run.
There are many varieties / combination of Linn power cables, connectors and manufacturers.  As you're happy that there are differences in cables, it doesn't seem reasonable to say that a Linn power cable is always best.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Decades later, no explanation. I think back to doing this and remember having to try rather hard to hear a difference. There is no way I could've told the difference un-sighted. I've had my current system on two circuits, now on one circuit. I couldn't hear any difference. But my expectation bias has me leave everything plugged into the same circuit. Too much conditioning from all the lore of yesteryear. :D

Reactions: Moomintroll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles