All is not doom and gloom

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I have been at the olde motor show at Excel for the last two days. So last night we went to hear Simple Minds in concert. The band put on a really good show and pleased the audience with some real energy and old and new songs.

BUT the sound quality was awful. The voices were so distorted it was difficult to hear what he was singing. No, he doesn't have the best diction in the business (ooo errr matron) but this made a bad job worse. When we got back we played the album and it was possible to hear everything he sung. Better than live; nearly??

However, the bass at the show was big and powerful and I could not get anywhere near it at home. In fact the best bass I have heard recently was with a set of Gresham Black Swan speakers with my Mac CD and an ASR amp. BUT the best of all ever was a rare event involving a set of Air Partner speakers with bass units. God that was good especially for a handful of watts. Getting them into my room would be impossible (even if it is 30'x20').

So let's all go to live shows and recalibrate our hifi listening may not be the best advice ever
wink.png

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
So let's all go to live shows and recalibrate our hifi listening may not be the best advice ever
Spoken like a true audiophile George. I hope you didn’t spend the entire concert listening to how the PA sounds. Then again with simple minds playing it may have been a welcome distraction.

Why do you think the music from your hi-fi system should sound like a stadium PA system anyway?

If that’s what you want just slice the drivers on your loudspeakers for some authentic PA grit. Try the pub next time and you might get a bit closer.

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to use a pair of celestion 18" bass cabs , open backed and loaded into the room corners with 10" mids and Horn cabs.

A big Rotel 1412 amp and a technics paralel tonearm turntable.

I was about 17 or 18 years old, simple minds live album was rather good through this.

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
A simple minds album is best played through a kitchen sink waste disposal unit. I find.

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
No, that messes with the screaming sounds. Playing sting in the microwave is also good. Crank it up.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
George 47 wrote:

Well I have been at the olde motor show at Excel for the last two days. So last night we went to hear Simple Minds in concert. The band put on a really good show and pleased the audience with some real energy and old and new songs. BUT the sound quality was awful. The voices were so distorted it was difficult to hear what he was singing. No, he doesn't have the best diction in the business (ooo errr matron) but this made a bad job worse. When we got back we played the album and it was possible to hear everything he sung. Better than live; nearly??

However, the bass at the show was big and powerful and I could not get anywhere near it at home. In fact the best bass I have heard recently was with a set of Gresham Black Swan speakers with my Mac CD and an ASR amp. BUT the best of all ever was a rare event involving a set of Air Partner speakers with bass units. God that was good especially for a handful of watts. Getting them into my room would be impossible (even if it is 30'x20').

wink.png
These are still the best Ive ever heard!!!
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Was the motor show work or pleasure George?

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hawk: agree about the speakers. The motor show was pleasure (although my feet disagree today
smile.png
). The show was fortunately air conditioned, and if people think that hifi is consumerism gone astray go see it gone mad as there was an Enzo there (yours for 0.45 Megapounds) plus lots of other nice looking cars that leave little change from 0.3 Megapounds.

Clearly there is divergence on musical tastes. But I do like loud rock music and few system seem able to deliver the impact (and no I am not talking about Naim; been there done that.

No I didn't really spend that much time thinking about the sound (too pissed to do that:dude:) Just enjoyed the atmosphere. At least they excluded lounge room lizard jazz that is so laid back it is just short of the excitement of hearing Johny Mathis farting.....................

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Stadium gigs tend to have horrible sound (in most, there'll be some parts of the room where the sound's esp bad), stupidly expensive tix/drinks, long cues for bar/loos, and bands like Simple minds playing... All good reasons not to see bands in stadiums
tongue.png
That said, best bass I heard was dizzee rascal playing outside through a BIG soundsystem - loud enough the concrete was vibrating
party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif

btw, have you tried ear plugs - I find ones like etymotic do actually let me hear more detail of what's playing (when its loud).

Best sound I've heard was at the Sage concert hall: acoustically treated rooms, big yamaha speakers, and nice
drink.gif.6f7d3d6d7cb2343460c5da8ec253b816.gif
Live music can sound wonderful, but simple minds in a stadium:zip: Simple minds in a microwave, though - now that I would pay to see
smile.png

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
jon wrote:

Stadium gigs tend to have horrible sound (in most, there'll be some parts of the room where the sound's esp bad), stupidly expensive tix/drinks, long cues for bar/loos, and bands like Simple minds playing... All good reasons not to see bands in stadiums
tongue.png
That said, best bass I heard was dizzee rascal playing outside through a BIG soundsystem - loud enough the concrete was vibrating
party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif
btw, have you tried ear plugs - I find ones like etymotic do actually let me hear more detail of what's playing (when its loud).

Best sound I've heard was at the Sage concert hall: acoustically treated rooms, big yamaha speakers, and nice
drink.gif.6f7d3d6d7cb2343460c5da8ec253b816.gif
Live music can sound wonderful, but simple minds in a stadium:zip: Simple minds in a microwave, though - now that I would pay to see
smile.png
I agree about stadium sound (although The Floyd a few years ago was good). It is the impact I am trying to achieve not the distorted grungy sound. Rock music is meant to make you dance not anlayse things.

Simple Minds in a microwave; well it was hot enough certainly.

There was band playing at the car opera the next day and the sound was much better. The band was crap but the sound was OK. No thanks.

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Warning: This is very silly and potentially dangerous.

For this experiment you will need:

• Four cans of Stella

• A James Blunt or Dido CD

• One microwave oven
Directions:

1. Drink the four cans of Stella. This will lubricate your neural receptors.

2. Place your James Blunt or Dido CD label side down on a small paper cup or other microwave proof cup in the center of the microwave oven.

The CD should be at least an inch above the bottom of the microwave.

3. Turn out the kitchen lights.

4. Caution! Be ready to stop the oven when the CD starts to smoke. The smoke smells bad, and is probably bad for you. Ventilate the room and do not use the oven for some time afterwards.

5. Set the oven on high for 3 seconds.

6. Watch the light show as Blunt or Dido get vapourised by microwaves.

I have tried this. There was a bit more smoke than I expected!
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

try4bx.gif

cdburns.jpg

Burn baby burn CD Zapping

cd2.jpg

The Science bit

CD ROM’s in the Microwave

Temporal and Spatial Aspects of Microwave Excitation of Compact Disks

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cool. I knew there had to be some use for James Blunt CDs. At least the name's handy for rhyming slang, anyway...

M

murray johnson

Hi Mosfet,

Are you saying that the improvements after treating a disc like this are clearly audible? Does it only work on James Blunt & Dido discs or will Dire Straits music be similarly transformed?
smile.png

I have to admit I'm sceptical.

Is there a special high priced microwave oven I can buy or will a £29.99 one from Morrisons do?

Does it have to be Stella?

rgs

Murray

M

Mr Coherent

Further to your sceptical inquisitions Murray, I wish to further enquire as to weather the Stella had been blind (drunk) tested against 20 similar alcoholic beverages containing- the exact same chemicals & preservatives (which were measured & certified by the ISO inspectorate under supervision of Cambridge Universities chemistry dept by the leading research professor of quantum physics who's main dark matter incursions into parallel universe theories are regarded as 'the in quotient'

If the above criteria is met. Can we safely assume dire straights are still extremely dire?

Can I differentiate between dido and James C**t on a pair of reference transducers (even after 4 cans of wife beater?) answers on a post card please.........................

Don't even get me started on microwave ovens
wub.png

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The trouble with microwave ovens is their transports are too slow. If you whip out the motor and replace it with something faster, the said 'artistes' can actually be heard moaning while the onboard DAC (Destroy Any CD) does its job.

You can also fit an after market power cable? Copper or silver? Hmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles