• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

American Football - Superbowl LV (2021)

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The American football season is about to get under way and will be available, free-to-air, on Channel 5 who are broadcasting live the Monday night game every week.

Much to look forward to..

I will be taking an interest in the Arizona Cardinals and the Baltimore Ravens.

Jack NSM

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not really followed this for many years but I was an avid fan in the 80's 49ers were always my team so might well watch the channel 5 coverage if they feature . They have been years away from being the team I followed but I think I am a luddite and find it very difficult to contemplate switching much as I would find it impossible to switch my football teams . Hopefully they can get at least to the play offs and keep my interest.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Watched the Ravens at home to the Raiders on Channel 5.

The Ravens are currently weakened by injuries, though their QB looks as good, if not better. It was a good game marred by some truly infantile and loud linkpersonship in the Channel 5 studio. (The commentary team at the game was exemplary, by contrast.)

I knew Baltimore, one of the top 6 sides in the NFL last season, would take a nosedive in the betting for the Superbowl after losing their opening game, so I availed myself of the 27 available on betfair to win £200 to win the whole shebang. (This after hearing their injured players would be back in weeks 4-5.)

Jack

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Luckily for me, Baltimore got a result against the Chiefs to go 1 - 1 and not 0 and 2. What a tremendous game!

Ose and Jason have taken over the NFL Show on the Beeb as Matt Chapman bows out. I'm not sure that's a good thing. But the result is still better than Channel 5's highlights show which is puerile and disastrous.

Jack

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bills redeemed themselves by thrashiing the Miami Dolphins 😀

Also not sure about Osi and Jason's presentation style but hey! at least we are getting coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rams beat the Superbowl holders Tampa bay in convincing style. The acquisition Of Matthew Stafford at QB seems to have worked and they have an excellent coach in Sean McVay (McVey?).

My Cardinals are going well with their fit and well pint-sized QB throwing bombs. I regret not having a few quid on to win their division (like I did last season). However also in their div are the Rams so they have to play them twice..ooer!

Exciting season so far with many games going to the wire..

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Week 4

Cards sole remaining unbeaten team, having beaten the Rams as underdogs. Kyler Murray in top form.

Ravens unbeaten since I backed them for the Superbowl. Their injury weakened team will be reinforced soon - hopeful of them making the play offs at least.

Bucks sneak a win over the Patriots - QB Brady's old team.

Jack

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jets versus the Falcons at Tottenham stadium today: who wins it?

Watching Ose's analysis of the Jets and his interview with coach Sala(h?), I was forced to bet the Jets as underdogs. I buy into their defence having watched the way they took apart the offensive line of the Titans in a recent matchup.

On offense they have a rookie QB who looks talented and can throw accurately and deep.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs are 2-2 - what's the american for 'who would have thunk it!'?

Go Ravens! - that's all I can say!

Hope the Bills deliver for you mr.me.

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
WEEK 5

Bills beat the Chiefs handsomely - the latter bottom of their division;

Arizona go top of their division by beating rivals San Francisco. They remain unbeaten.

Baltimore were beaten in their opening game but have since gone unbeaten and so are 4 - 1. This latest victory over the Colts was a humdinger, with the Ravens coming from behind. They are learning how to win. I must check if they are back to full strength. My bet for them to win the whole shooting match @ 27/1 looking good (for now!).

Bills promoted to Superbowl favourites in an open year.

Jack

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
WEEK 6

Bills lose to the Titans in an upset. A feature was Derek Henry's 143 yards of carry and 3 TDs. What an exceptional talent (and a costly one in terms of wages)!

Good game to watch, though I am restricted to highlights programmes in the main.

Cards march on and remain unbeaten. They are as short as 10/1 to win the Superbowl but they will come up short at some point - but which point? You'd be a fool to back against them winning their division.

The demise of the Chiefs (only temporarily relieved by a win over Washington (no big deal)) has left the way open for the Baltimore Ravens to win that Conference and conceivably fulfill their promise of last year. (I have backed them at 26/1 to win the whole competition. That bet is looking good at the prevailing odds (10/1) after a 5 game winning streak.)

Elsewhere, Baker Mayfield for the Browns has done a shoulder, the Stealers get a victory for Tomlin, who, according to Osi 'two-time' Umenyiora, is the league's best coach, and the Dallas Cowboys, edged a win against the Patriots - QB Zak Prescott throwing for a huge 445 yds!

Boiling up into a great season with lots of exciting games, overtime, and tight finishes.

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Right now, as of this moment, the big news is INJURIES..

We've had the Dallas QB, the Cards QB, and the latest is the Titans RB, Derrick Henry, touted as this season's MVP. Oh dear!

More tomorrow..

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
WEEK 9   Bills, Cowboys and the Rams got turned over when favourites to win their games.

Cards win without their starting QB, with James Connor starring as receiver.

Ravens win a close game coming from behind (again!).

Titans overcame the loss of their running back Derrick Henry through injury to win.

Looks a wide open season - and an exciting one.

Pre season favourites - Kansas City - continue to frustrate their fans, but they have scraped a couple of recent wins. They are not in Superbowl winning form.

Ravens play the Dolphins on Friday. They have a few relatively easy games ahead of them which should see them stretch their lead in their division and shorten in the betting for the big prize. They are capable of going all the way if staying healthy.

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Ravens couldn't overcome the busy Miami defence and paid the penalty - but 6-3 isnt too shabby and they lead their division (and the demise of the Bengals has helped them).

If you look at the division leaders the Cream has come to the top: Dallas, Kansas, Green Bay, Tennessee, Baltimore etc.

Thoroughly enjoying Ose and Jaybell on the BBC - what a great pairing! Probably the best sports presenters currently on tv. They have much greater communication skills and personality than their soccer equivalents, of that I am sure.

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
WEEK 11 (OF 17)

Significantly the Chiefs beat the Dallas Cowboys.

The Packers got beat, the Ravens had another late comeback win with the backup QB to go 7-3 and the Titans lose in an upset to the Texans. Bills disappointed again.

Cards QB is still out injured joined this week by Deandre Hopkins (hamstring) - yet they still won.

Colts doing well - team to watch out for.

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
WEEK 14

Focussing on my Superbowl Hopefuls - the Ravens - I have to say what a great game in WK 14 against division rivals The Browns. Nick Chubb for the Browns was unstoppable and standout player on my side was QB Lamarr Jackson who was incredible both in skill set and guts. (Also from the highlights there has been a staunching of the interceptions and sacks.) 45 to 42, having been tied twice in the game and latterly on 42 to 42.

Wow! What an advert for the Game!

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sticking with the Ravens, they are 0 and 2 without their star QB Lamarr Jackson and have thus fallen back in the race for the Superbowl. However, on the bright side, they went close against the Packers, who were predicted to brush them aside. Stand-in QB, Huntley doing a great job - you can see Jackson's influence on him (i.e., he has a good running game himself).

The Chiefs attack has got going at last, the Bills have faltered, the Patriots are sound and Tampa Bay looking goodish.

The Rams beat the Cardinals in an important divisional game - reigniting their play off aspirations. They have gambled 'all-in' this season, sacrificing their picks of new talent next year.

Its still open and interesting.

Jack