• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Amp under-sized?? Marantz PM-47 (40w) amplifier + JPW P1 (70w) speakers.

Fatmarley

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 12, 2008
Gloucestershire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My speakers are JPW P1, 8 ohms, 8" woofer.

I am curious to know:
What are the best speakers out there which are 8 ohms and 8" woofer (and less than US$700/pair)?

You could bring them up to the later spec of the JPW AP2 by lining the insides with Dynamat. There are cheaper alternatives that are just as good (Noico is a lot cheaper in the UK). You could also experiment with stuffing. Fibreglass is by far the best, but obviously not nice to work with. I know there's a certain spec of rigid fibreglass that's supposed to be the best, but I can't remember what it is. Rockwool is probably second best.

Add a good, sealed subwoofer, and I'd imagine you'd have to spend a fortune to beat the JPW P1. I've owned and heard enough speakers to know that they punch well above their price class.

mrlawrencelam

Wammer
Mar 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My amp is Marantz PM-47. I think it's 40W. How do I wire it to speakers with 4 terminals? I watched some Youtube videos but I don't think I understand well. Forgive this newbie for asking this dumb question.

Attachments

• A54D2BD7-B68C-415C-B349-5880A8D38304.jpeg
    A54D2BD7-B68C-415C-B349-5880A8D38304.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 2

Lawrence001

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The best way is to join the two red and two black sockets at the speaker (red to red and black to black) with jumpers and just use "single wire" cables to connect the red amp socket to the top HF red speaker socket and amp black to bottom LF speaker black. For some reason doing it this way sounds better.

Regarding the bass speaker size, I find that small speakers tuned to go low but be inefficient tend to have "one note" bass that doesn't bring out the texture of bass notes that a larger woofer in a larger cabinet does.

When makers measure their speakers I think they send varying low sine waves into the speaker and see how low they can measure an output at -3db and/or -5/6db. Some also use "in room response" which allows reflections to increase the amount measured bass (ie get a lower note at a given dB level).

Some like Kef do (or at least did) use anechoic chambers to measure them (ie treated rooms with no reflections) which are technically better as it removes the variable of the particular room used, but give them an apparent disadvantage when naive buyers compare the numbers.

Reactions: mrlawrencelam

Lawrence001

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I should have added, the best way to make jumpers is to cut off about 6cm of your cable (depending how close the HF/LF sockets are, and split it into 2 seperate runs if it's joined) allowing 1cm bare at each end. Then just feed it through the holes under the screws at the back and tighten the sockets. This then allows you to use banana plugs into the sockets.

Some prefer to use a banana at one end and spade at the other on their jumpers, the spade frees up a socket for a banana on the main speaker cable. I prefer to use bare and leave them in.

This is also an upgrade to the usual brass plate jumpers many manufacturers supply with their speakers.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Regarding the bass speaker size, I find that small speakers tuned to go low but be inefficient tend to have "one note" bass that doesn't bring out the texture of bass notes that a larger woofer in a larger cabinet does.
Which small speakers? Not true in my experience at all. 'One note bass' is one of those hackneyed hifi phrases.

Lawrence001

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which small speakers? Not true in my experience at all. 'One note bass' is one of those hackneyed hifi phrases.
From memory I'd say most of the small ported speakers I've heard with efficiency at or below 86-87db and quoted bass response of say 48-45hz or below.

To put it the other way, when I was younger and saw Castle standmounts like the Durham and Trent IIRC I used to think why have they put those ridiculously small woofers in those big boxes and where's the bass. I've heard some more recently and the sound they produced was much more natural to my ears than a little box trying to go lower.

Interestingly I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a Naim amp using Castle speakers. I suspect Naim afficianados don't prioritise the sound I'm describing over punch/speed/dynamics etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothy To