Amp Upgrade

konig

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2005
Brentwood, Essex, ,
I have a Cyrus 8vs, PSX-R and 2 Smartpowers that I use in mono. Looking for a new amp, probably a single box.

How much do you think I will get for these and what would be a'upgrade'

I am thinking maybe bryston or Sugden or valve although I am not sure a hot amp would work for me as it will end up in a closed door cabinet

femail vocals, accoustic are my thing

alexg

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2006
, ,
roll_with_it wrote:

konig wrote:
what would be a'upgrade'
My Exposure 23/28 Pre/Power:D
Also my Dynavector L200/HX75
biggrin.png

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
You'll get 500 for the 8vs, 250 for the PSXR, and 350 for each Smart.

And with that money on the second hand market get a better amp and some change.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
for that money I'd buy a puresound valve amp and spend 400 on music, or add another 400ish and get the belles Pre with the puresound. Female vocals wont sound better than that until you go over 3000 squid IMO. Try talking to Mr C.
smile.png

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
konig wrote:

I have a Cyrus 8vs, PSX-R and 2 Smartpowers that I use in mono. Looking for a new amp, probably a single box.How much do you think I will get for these and what would be a'upgrade'

I am thinking maybe bryston or Sugden or valve although I am not sure a hot amp would work for me as it will end up in a closed door cabinet

female vocals, accoustic are my thing
IFyou can get round the closed door cabinet issue (perhaps open the cabinet up at the back or leave front open when in use), and given your taste in music,then I'd seriously considerdemoing a decent valve amp.

new valveintegrateds that can be hadaround the £1k mark include Icon 40i (I think), PrimaLuna One or Two, pure sound A30 , World Designs KT88 one (they can build for you), others?. Having owned both I prefered the pure sound A30 to the PrimaLuna Two but it's all about personal preference.

The beauty of buying new is that you can demo to your heart's content and find just the right thing. You can also then checkthat the amp works well with your speakers (what are they by the way?).

second hand? lots out there. What about enjoy_the_music's leben amp in the dealer classifieds? Biccy's Pioneer in the privateclassifiedsis also supposed to be very, verynice and a great price - given how many wammers have heard it and said how good it was I'm suprised it hasn't sold yet. Can't demo though with second hand unless you find an amenableseller/dealer

good luck

konig

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2005
Brentwood, Essex, ,
The beauty of buying new is that you can demo to your heart's content and find just the right thing. You can also then checkthat the amp works well with your speakers (what are they by the way?).
Dali Ikon 6 speakers and MF A5 front end. Ultimately I suspect I will go back to standmounts but that's more dependant to finding ones that the wife like the look of..

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
^ Even so, I'd consider RWI's Expos, as they do possess a smooth, not typically SS, highly musical sound, and that is a seriously good price.

Boxer (ex-Expo owner)

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If your speakers are reasonably sensitive, Biscuit's Pioneer A-09 would be a major step up in sound quality and you'd have cash left over for some music.
smile.png

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
meninblack wrote:

If your speakers are reasonably sensitive, Biscuit's Pioneer A-09 would be a major step up in sound quality and you'd have cash left over for some music.
smile.png
Tis where I would be looking (if it were me) quite a stunning amplifier.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
konig wrote:

thks everyone I will chew this over..I have always suspected that valves maybe the way to but never demo'd any.
Given your preferred music once you step out on the valve path you will never go back.

I couldn't, and I have no regrets, you get to learn a whole new buzzword vocabulary too!
biggrin.png

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
konig wrote:

is there a london dealer where I can demo Primaluna, Puresound etc.cheers?
I think Walrus in London have the pure sound (according to the pure sound website http://www.puresound.info/id1.html ) :

http://www.walrus.co.uk/main/main.htm

[align=left]Walrus Systems

11 New Quebec St, London W1H 7RW[/align]

[align=left]Tel: (+44)(0)20 7724 7224

Fax: (+44)(0)20 7724 4347[/align]

[align=left]contact@walrus.co.uk[/align]

[align=left]Noteworthy Audio in Aylesbury may also be convenient if you live in west or north London. http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/Integrated_amplifiers.html They have the pure sound and the Icon 40i

Pistol Music distributors should be able to tell you about PL dealers in and around London http://www.pistolmusic.co.uk

Address:

58 Durham Road

London

SW20 0TW

Contact Details:

Phone: 020 8971 3909

Fax: 020 8879 7962

E-mail: info@pistolmusic.co.uk

[/align]

[align=left]Not sure if there is a dealer that stocks both.

[/align]

konig

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2005
Brentwood, Essex, ,
Anthony wrote:

new valveintegrateds that can be hadaround the £1k mark include Icon 40i (I think), PrimaLuna One or Two, pure sound A30 , World Designs KT88 one (they can build for you), others?. Having owned both I prefered the pure sound A30 to the PrimaLuna Two but it's all about personal preference.
I have an expectation of how valve sound will differ from solid state - how will valve contenders differ from each other at this price point - will they sound distictly different - is it about power?

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
I'm really sad and would just get the matching A5 integrated to go with the CD player - unless you plan to change that as well.

Just a thought but in the classifieds someone is selling a Pathos Logos at a keen price - have a look at that (I loved the classic)

konig

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2005
Brentwood, Essex, ,
gsrai wrote:

Just a thought but in the classifieds someone is selling a Pathos Logos at a keen price - have a look at that (I loved the classic)
ah - selling because exposed valves and little fingers don't mix. I had overlooked that in my case.....

I note that the Prologue models come with a metal grille to cover the valves - I presume the valves themselves would actually burn your fingers if touched and that a metal grille would merely get 'warm'
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
konig wrote:

Anthony wrote:
I have an expectation of how valve sound will differ from solid state - how will valve contenders differ from each other at this price point - will they sound distictly different - is it about power?
No It isn't all about power, I have heard 15wpc valve ampssounf fantastic and havevolume.
YourDali's have quite a high sensitivity and you should ber able to run them off anything!
i don't know what your expectations of valves are, but you won't getloose floppy bass from the Amps mentioned, what you should get are wonderful mid range and highs. especially with acoustic and female vocal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles