• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Amps to suit Proac Response D2

elwood p dowd

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2009
Glasgow, , United Ki
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love these speakers and expect to have them in my system for a while, however reading about suitable amps to bring out the best in them sounds like they need a bit of wellie to do that. Bought an Audio Analogue Crescendo at the same time as the speakers and the system sounds good, however wondering if more power would bring a further improvement? Budget is up to 2K for a new amp, interested in your thoughts.

V

Voice_Coil

Im going to sugest sugden masterclass, either integrated or maybe a 2nd hand power amp ?

Do you like valve flavour ?

V

Voice_Coil

its a shame you are so far away id offer you a listen to mine, i don't think you would be terribly unhappy if you got a powerful enough valve amp, the puresound a20 is popular and they come up reasonably often, but if not valves, certainly a powerful class A amp for sure.

elwood p dowd

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2009
Glasgow, , United Ki
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the offer, good info to go on, couple of decent dealers within the area for me to follow up your recommendations, might go down the power amp route.

hermit

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2013
Glasgow
AKA
Paul
I think you should add Croft to your list and if you fancy a trip to Edinburgh you're welcome to listen to my kit.

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Croft. I've 'downsized' to croft and proac and it doesn't feel like a down size at all. There's an obvious synergy with this pairing to my ears that punches waaaay above it's weight. Twin vol knobs are a quirk though.

mikedefacto

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Liverpool
AKA
Mike
Mike that could be a good shout, as I have the GO6 .
That's why I said it :) I used to have a 200 series system myself. I like the togetherness of a system like that, which is the way it's designed to work.

joleyami

Warmer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2014
Cornwall
AKA
Mike
I have previously had great results Bi amping Proac's with Roksan Caspian integrated + Power amp.

Henk

Wammer
New Wammer
Nov 28, 2013
Herefordshire
The new Roksan Caspian mark 2 has a

350VA unit for the power amplifier section which would keep tight control of the bass on your Proacs

. Also it's under budget

V

Voice_Coil

As it happens ive also used a roksan kandy on mine, it was the mk3 i think, the one that doesn't have stupid gain on the volume [ gets too loud too early ]

another good amp.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Im going to sugest sugden masterclass, either integrated or maybe a 2nd hand power amp ? Do you like valve flavour ?
the sugden will sound beautiful with the d2 , lovely natural speaker and it takes a lot to beat the sugden

Neilb

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2007
Selhurst, Croydon,
AKA
Neil
Would love to try a master class with my d15's. I'm not sure though my gut tells me they may need and like a bit more driving than that. I used to have a krell ksa80b class a monster. I think they would love love something like that. Your wife or partner probably less so though.....

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
ah just tell them it keeps you happy and out of mischief !!! my mrs gave me 2 years with my logans and its just coming up to that now !!! [oh and they are not going yet hopefully]

V

Voice_Coil

and as hard as they are to locate, the symetra monos are excellent too ;)

banjoman

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2012
SW London
AKA
Deba
I've tried a bunch of different amps with my Proac D28s and my current Croft 25R/7R combo is by far the best.

It sounds surprisingly good at the end of a £300 Sony 770ES as well.

Another amp (borrowed from Andreweast) that worked well, despite its low power is the Sonneteer Orton. If you are looking for an integrated, definitely get a demo of the Sonneteer.

I've also had a Sugden A21SE and A21 (vintage) and both were good but with very different sounds. The A21SE was more detailed and clear but a bit clinical. The A21 was nice and smooth and warm but just a wee bit flabby in the bass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawuschel