• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

An obscure but wonderful conductor

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, this is my 1000th posting
74_74.gif.e35fe9be22561407fdbfee747b876f81.gif
:dude:
74_74.gif.e35fe9be22561407fdbfee747b876f81.gif
- so it's got to be about the music, right?

Not all this audiofool mallarky.

Should be something of real significance to my musical life, but unusual enough that others might look into it and get something new & wonderful out of it as well ........

OK, I know ....

ANTON NANUT. Yugoslav conductor, died just a few years ago. Long term chief of the Ljubljana Symphony Orchestra. A top rank conductor with a 2nd tier orchestra - ah well, you can't have everything!

For me Nanut is one of the truly great conductors of our age.

The following is a list of recordings he made that, in my humble opinion of course
smile.png
, have not been surpassed. Ever. By any one.

- A wonderful Beethoven symphony cycle - except the 9th for some reason - that I have never seen. Just try the 7th symphony - it is simply the most wonderful -dancing - exciting - joyous - taut performance ever. And great sound quality too.

- Bruckner 8th symphony. There is just something about this performance that is so right !! Totally coherent - it just surges and swells with a direct hard-wired link to Anton's synapses. I've got umpteen recordings of the 8th - but this is theone I would keep if I could keep only one.

- Mahler 6th symphony. Strong, powerful, vibrant, poetic. You'll find "different", but not better. And his Mahler 1, 4 & 5 are not exactly chopped liver either! I've not come across any other Mahler by Nanut, sadly.

EDIT - not so - there's a truly raucous Das Lied. I hated it!

Anyway, that's my 2-pennyworth, for this auspicious occasion, my 1000th posting.

Anton Nanut - well worth investigating !!

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
JANDL100 wrote:

ANTON NANUT.
Nope, don't have a single record by this Yugoslav.
biggrin.png
But kudos for the educational writeup.
applause.gif
Will keep this "new" recording star in mind, but your thread has me wanting something else instead.... is the Mork and Mindy series out on DVD yet?

Na-noo! Na-noo!:minikiev:

SS

epca

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Barking
AKA
Ed
Some of the very first CD's that I bought when making the transition from tapes were with Nanut on a label called Stradivarius, conducting the Ljubljana SO.

I think there were some piano concertos by Chopin, Schumann and Grieg. Pianists were similarly obscure; Dubravka Tomsic and Marian Lapsansky if memory serves. I think there was also Handel's water music, big band style.

So actually, Nanut was on the first versions of those pieces on CD for me. I still have them somewhere but haven't listened to them in years.

Cheers

Ed

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another obscure conductor (maybe not quite as obscure as Nanut) was Takashi Asahina. His live recordings of Schubert, Beethoven, Mahler but above all Bruckner are well worth seeking out. He was Japan's equivalent of Gunther Wand, recording a very limited repertoire several times, generally getting better as he got older.

I've found Japanese Radio recordings available for download on the internet (CD quality), but never in shops.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
musicbox wrote:

Another obscure conductor (maybe not quite as obscure as Nanut) was Takashi Asahina. His live recordings of Schubert, Beethoven, Mahler but above all Bruckner are well worth seeking out. I've found Japanese Radio recordings available for download on the internet (CD quality), but never in shops.
And you can get 2 DVDs of him doing the Brahms symphonies on eBay for about a tenner delivered from HK. Marvellous.

His Shostakovich 5th is stunning.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

& How a bout a LINK to those internet downloads then?
wink.png

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They are on the usenet - AFAIK you need a special browser to download them. The one I used had a monthly subscription, just do a search in google to find out more.

kennyk

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
thecrossovernetwork,
SSM wrote:

JANDL100 wrote:
ANTON NANUT.
Nope, don't have a single record by this Yugoslav.
biggrin.png
But kudos for the educational writeup.
applause.gif
Will keep this "new" recording star in mind, but your thread has me wanting something else instead.... is the Mork and Mindy series out on DVD yet?

Na-noo! Na-noo!:minikiev:

SS
I'll keep a lookout for the Beethoven 7th. still haven't found 'the one' yet. My Collegium Aureum LP got lost in the post and I never got to hear it.
sad.png

Shaz-bot.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
kennyk wrote:

I'll keep a lookout for the Nanut Beethoven 7th. still haven't found 'the one' yet. My Collegium Aureum LP got lost in the post and I never got to hear it.
sad.png
Shaz-bot.
My other fave 7th FWIW is Schmidt-Isserstedt / VPO on Decca from the 60s.

Gazoops !! - if you can stay sitting and not dance around the room to this, then I reckon someone's chopped yer legs orf !!
biggrin.png

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And here's the Nanut Bruckner 8th I was ranting on about as being the best of the 37 or so recordings I have of the work.

EBAY_LINK

Bruckner fans really should hear this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx