answers in english please

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am looking into computer audio. I am considering something like a LIV Zen or Juke, but to start may use my laptop, usb out into an adaptor then coaxial digital into my pre amp ( DEQX ) that seems straight forward. Now put simply please, can I control the laptop from my ipad with an app but without internet as my main kit is in France and we don't have internet there and tbh its nice to be away from the internet whilst there.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All of the best with your choice.

IMO laptops ok for conveniently-playing stuff almost portably. I advise not spending too many francs/temps on sound more cheaply achieved alternately.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
All of the best with your choice.IMO laptops ok for conveniently-playing stuff almost portably. I advise not spending too many francs/temps on sound more cheaply achieved alternately.
He said English :doh:

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
please read my original post, answers relating to that would be much appreciated. r.e. ipad controlling laptop, or Liv Zen without internet

I am looking into computer audio. I am considering something like a LIV Zen or Juke, but to start may use my laptop, usb out into an adaptor then coaxial digital into my pre amp ( DEQX ) that seems straight forward. Now put simply please, can I control the laptop from my ipad with an app but without internet as my main kit is in France and we don't have internet there and tbh its nice to be away from the internet whilst there.

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok thanks Jim, so with the iPad having wi fi and Bluetooth how would I connect to a laptop and see the same on iPad and monitor

Yes you can, there's no reason you can't network your computers locally even without the internet.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
See HERE for some free software options.

To network the iPad and the PC you'll need a wifi hub or router - but it doesn't need an internet connection.

frielj

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2007
Argyll
AKA
John
I bought a Live Zen last week and am absolutely delighted with the product and the excellent support from Nuno at Liv Zen, including a computer/telephone link where he will take you through the entire set up, if required. With 3TB of storage, controls via an ipad or android and USB link to my T+A dac, it is a simple and effective solution for digital music. (happy to explain by PM if you want to know more)

John

brystonian

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2012
Bedfordshire
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok thanks Jim, so with the iPad having wi fi and Bluetooth how would I connect to a laptop and see the same on iPad and monitor
What MiB said. :)

I think JRiver has a Ipad control app, if you're after a media player. I've not used it myself but I think several people on the forum have.

gjm

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 6, 2007
NZ & loving it!
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm not an iPerson, but I would expect the same principles to apply.

I can remotely control my laptop using Gmote - a small application is installed on the laptop and my (Android) phone, and I can control the laptop from my phone. I'll see if I can check if a wireless router is required - it may be that the phone can talk directly to the laptop without any other kit.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a near-identical solution for the Apple.

In this situation I appreciate you are using kit you already have, but I'd look at something like the Najda to help reduce box count.

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Najda does what graham?

I'm not an iPerson, but I would expect the same principles to apply.I can remotely control my laptop using Gmote - a small application is installed on the laptop and my (Android) phone, and I can control the laptop from my phone. I'll see if I can check if a wireless router is required - it may be that the phone can talk directly to the laptop without any other kit.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a near-identical solution for the Apple.

In this situation I appreciate you are using kit you already have, but I'd look at something like the Najda to help reduce box count.

gjm

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 6, 2007
NZ & loving it!
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The Najda does what graham?
http://www.waf-audio.com/

It's a DIY type thing (so not suitable for everyone) but would allow you to connect your laptop directly to it (USB in) and take the output to a power amp. There are people on here who know much more about it but I think it is possible to do a lot of the DSP work the DEQX does, too.

I've been procrastinating (although finances are the biggest issue at the moment) over getting one as it'll offer opportunities with multi-amping and active crossover. (As well.)

If you feel the inclination, it'll give you the opportunity for endless tweaking. :D It's good on a basic level, but offers a lot of in-depth stuff, too. (Technical 'stuff', of course.)

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The deqx does the same, although only 3 way, that's all I need. A USB to s/pdif adaptor and then to the coaxial digital in.i am looking at the musical fidelity v link.

http://www.waf-audio.com/It's a DIY type thing (so not suitable for everyone) but would allow you to connect your laptop directly to it (USB in) and take the output to a power amp. There are people on here who know much more about it but I think it is possible to do a lot of the DSP work the DEQX does, too.

I've been procrastinating (although finances are the biggest issue at the moment) over getting one as it'll offer opportunities with multi-amping and active crossover. (As well.)

If you feel the inclination, it'll give you the opportunity for endless tweaking. :D It's good on a basic level, but offers a lot of in-depth stuff, too. (Technical 'stuff', of course.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online