Any nearby wammers willing to give some DAC help.....?

Eddieedwards

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2013
DE6
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening all

Well, a few hours after advertising my Opus 21 and it's sold - it went a lot quicker than expected. This allows me to start my project of getting a cheaper dac, and use the difference plus some savings to put towards a TT at a later date.

As the majority of my music is on cd/ flacs, I've decided to concentrate on getting the dac sorted first and taking more time about the analogue side of things. I've already tried the jolida, rega and metrum octave and the octave is currently my favourite, but I'm not 100% sure and I really don't like having to use a hiface on the side of my laptop as it's spdif only on this one.

I think the maximum I'd like to put towards a dac is circa £600/£700 and for it to be used or exdem with my laptop via usb being the transport. With this in mind, I wondered whether there were any wammers fairly near who wouldn't mind me having a listen to dacs in this price range that they own? I don't want to mess any dealers around by borrowing stuff that I wouldn't buy from them.

From the research I've done, I reckon I should make sure I have a listen to the m2tech young (I have the chance of an exdem one at £510), calyx, bel canto 1.5 (both budget busters), eastern electric minimax, wyred 4 sound. I'd obviously consider others, but doubt I'd like the benchmarks or mdac, as I have a dislike for overly emphasised highs.....but I'm open minded!

Apologies if this seems a cheek, but any help would be appreciated. If not, then Scalford will probably be a good bet to listen to various kit.

Cheers, Eddie.

Eddieedwards

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2013
DE6
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At that price point I think most dealers would be quite amiable if it means a possible ex-dem sale.
Yes, you're right, but I can't manage to source some of them exdem via dealers and would need to buy second hand. Sorry if I was unclear, I meant I wouldn't wish to "use" a dealer to listen to their stock and then buy second hand elsewhere.

My thoughts were that, if someone was near enough, and happy for me to have a quick listen, then it would help the decision making process and then I could source a second hand unit here, fee pay, or wherever.

Fom what I've read, I really should be getting a listen to a young and calyx at least. I saw a dac bake off thread on pfm where they listened to the same single track for 8.5 hours.....! Don't worry, I wouldn't intend that!

Thanks.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interest declared, as I do the website.

However, I do generally speak my mind here ;-)

Jolida Glass FX

A couple of people I know have raved about this, and both are ex Opus owners.

I have an audition coming up. From reports, it has the same sort of presentation. At the price, I'd say definitely worth an audition. And well within the price range too. I had an Opus 21 for a while. The EE Minimax DAC was/is another option, but I have high hopes for the Jolida.

Eddieedwards

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2013
DE6
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
[quote name=

The EE Minimax DAC was/is another option, but I have high hopes for the Jolida.[/quote]

I've tried the jolida, it was excellent in the context of price, but didn't quite do it for me. From research, I notice you had the EE DAC in the past and rather liked it. I also like the idea of being able to switch the SS and valve circuitry.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's well below your budget, but personally I'd give this a go if I was wanting a new DAC http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?101437-F-S-Denon-DVD-A1-Reference-DVD-CD-DAC These were lovely machines for music as well as movies.

I've got a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 2 mk 2 that's out of use for a week or two if you want a play with something older, but buying one of these (not mine) secondhand would cost waaay under your your budget. There'd be postage to cover if you want a loan of mine, unless you fancy a very long drive! Nice machines, though, imo - this is why I've no plans to buy another DAC myself.

wynniaj

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 20, 2013
Sussex
AKA
Jonny
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
disregard the nonsense talked about the benchmark, the treble is neutral,( the whole thing is pretty balanced) I have no idea whether it stacks up against some of the other dacs you have mentioned but it bears no resemblance to the stark screechy unit that I have seen described - it would never have cut it as a pro unit otherwise

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's certainly worth tube rolling with the standard Jolida DAC as well, that can take you a lot further than the stock TungSols. Siemens are a good bet.

The Siemens takes the DAC from Fairly Good to Very Good imo.

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Good to hear the Opus sold quickly Eddie, not a surprise though. :)

Pity I haven't still got the Audio Note DAC 0.1x.

That would accept a USB input and is certainly worth auditioning, albeit second hand at the price targetted.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Opus 21 has a smooth relaxed sound with a slight bass roll-off, which suits valve amps.

My choice would be;

- Audio Synthesis DAX (not a Decade as they are more expensive) either 1 or 2. Lovely vinyl type sound and really well made, use it with a SPDIF converter if you want USB input.

I am not a fan of the Young, it's detail over music to my ears.

The Benchmark I heard was truly dreadful.

Perhaps hold a DAC bake-off with some locals?

Eddieedwards

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2013
DE6
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the suggestions all.

The Opus sold, the money burnt a whole in my pocket and bought a gyrodec, with orbe platter!

I'll have to come back to dacs..... Perhaps post Scalford.

Tenson

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2006
You really don't need to spend that much to get a cracking DAC. The Cambridge DacMagic+ is superb. Or go a little DIY and get something like this, a small transformer and a pretty box - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Assembled-AK4399-PCM2706-WM8805-OPA627AU-Audio-DAC-Boad-include-USB-card-/111093134725?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Amplifier_Parts&hash=item19ddaab585 There are few ready built DACs in your price range that use parts as good as those. Then again you could get something with room correction built in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles