• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Anyone else ever think about this............?

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
2,811
26
93
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
icehockeyboy wrote:

Flogging your expensive kit and getting something rather more basic, mebbe the current Rotel or Marantz low priced stuff, and promising yourself no more upgrades?
With the exception of my turntable I've been buying lower cost stuff (if DIY counts) as I've completely lost interest in most 'commercially manufactured products'. Ten years ago I had and Audio Research Pre-amp, EAR 509 power amps Acoustat panel Hybrids. I've replaced these with a valve integrated (the delicious CR Developments Romulus - review here ). But I did feel I could do with a better pre section so bought the MiniMax - this combination sounds better than the ARC/EAR one, in most areas. The speakers were replaced with the and Revolver R33's (now sold) now just using itty bitty Videotone Minimax speakers. Going down the DIY route, with the Bottleheads (Seduction, Foreplay and Paramours DIY build blog) has delivered a lower cost much more musical experience. So much so that I think the MiniMax Pre and Romulus will soon be in the classifieds as I've not missed either at all.

As to buying a basic Marantz, Rotel,....no probably not, I want more than that.

 

Borats Baby

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2006
7,061
36
0
Boredsville, , Unite
icehockeyboy wrote:

Flogging your expensive kit and getting something rather more basic, mebbe the current Rotel or Marantz low priced stuff, and promising yourself no more upgrades?
I dont have any expensive kit to flog.

(Apart from my WDKEL84 which was £400) and is NOT being flogged.

 

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
4,942
66
93
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suppose you get to a stage where you begin to question how much is being spent on your kit, if anyone had said to me a year or so back that one ic i use would have a price tag on it of £600, id have said they're mad, and that if i spent around £300 on a tweak to my speakers, my thoughts back then would be to spend that amount on a cdp or something else.
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif


 

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
3,343
8
0
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've often said thats it,but it never is,but a good 75% of my stuff is ex dem,nos,2nd hand,b stock.

 

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
11,690
4
0
, ,
icehockeyboy wrote:

Flogging your expensive kit and getting something rather more basic, mebbe the current Rotel or Marantz low priced stuff, and promising yourself no more upgrades?
I am working on that ;)my system is changing from 23k to 12k by the end of July
crazy_pilot.gif.c313d97f4d9ddf9c49c568cf60659106.gif


 

Defiant

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2006
666
0
0
Surrey
I'm a budget wonder/tweaker anyway, I get much more of a buzz out of getting the best from cheaper components than I do from more expensive kit (though I love the looks/sound of it). It's not that I can't afford a £5k system, it's that I choose not to - I've always been the same really
smile.png


 

johnnyesox

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2007
546
0
0
Outside Paisley now,
Yip,been there and done that to!From Cyrus gear to Linn,now using a very modest CA640 amp & cdp,with a Planar3 T/T/Dino+,all well set up on good supports and good cables,truth be told this system is a very good, involving listen,my Cyrus,Primare,Linn owning pals all love this wee system.....another fairly modest system I am REALLY enjoying is my mates Apollo/Mira3/R3 spks,cracking system,really gets to the heart of the music,stunning!

 

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
9,688
967
193
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Been there. Done that. Happy with the results (to an extent because you do lose a fair amount of transparency when downgrading to cheaper components).

 

thommo

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2005
459
0
0
Essex, , United King
Never thought that because I've never had expensive kit in the first place.

Never felt the need, tbh. I've got to my plateau of competence, and it's good enough for me.

 

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
1,639
49
78
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
icehockeyboy wrote:

I suppose you get to a stage where you begin to question how much is being spent on your kit, if anyone had said to me a year or so back that one ic i use would have a price tag on it of £600, id have said they're mad, and that if i spent around £300 on a tweak to my speakers, my thoughts back then would be to spend that amount on a cdp or something else.
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif
I've got 3 systems which, combined, cost well under £600 - and no, I wouldn't trade them for a cable
tongue.png


 

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
11,690
4
0
, ,
jon wrote:

icehockeyboy wrote:
I suppose you get to a stage where you begin to question how much is being spent on your kit, if anyone had said to me a year or so back that one ic i use would have a price tag on it of £600, id have said they're mad, and that if i spent around £300 on a tweak to my speakers, my thoughts back then would be to spend that amount on a cdp or something else.
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif
I've got 3 systems which, combined, cost well under £600 - and no, I wouldn't trade them for a cable
tongue.png
£600 two thirds of an Indigo
wink.png


 
G

Guest

Guest
yep done that many many times. had pretty high end gear and ended up selling it all.

a lot of the time budget gear is better anyway.

i find i enjoy the music more through cheap gear as you don't sit there critisizing the system .

 

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
33,788
21,781
173
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yup.

I know I've just upgraded the CDP, but from now on, it's tweaking and swapping only.

The second system is a pair of oldB&W standmounts without stands, an Audiolab amp and a Pioneer CD bought for about a tenner at a car boot sale. And you know what? There's no way the percentage cost difference between that and the 'proper' system is reflected by the percentage betterment in sound.

Bastard, innit.

 

lower bullens

NSNO Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
2,606
767
158
Wirral
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've spent a lot and promised myself no more upgrades (after I've found my new speakers).

 

Forum statistics

Threads
108,075
Messages
2,288,164
Members
69,153
Latest member
kengxx