Anyone know of a courier for large floor standing speakers?

d_a_n1979

Bigger than you
Wammer
Nov 10, 2007
Lost; in Lancashire
AKA
Dan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've never had issues with UPS or Parcelforce via Interparcel.com or Parcelmonkey

I'd recommend them or as above, see if you can sort a 'wam taxi'

m@tty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 20, 2015
Leeds
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As above but with UPS as have had a number of issues with Parcelforce..

turnipfarmer

Wammer
New Wammer
Nov 12, 2015
North Yorkshire
AKA
Aaron
Cheers guys. I'm not sure where they'll be going yet as I haven't sold them yet, just trying to get a price.

The weight doesn't seem an issue with parcelmonkey but the length seems to be. When you've used parcelmonkey have you just put in weight?

Thanks for suggestion on wam taxi, I'll bare that in mind.

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I've never had issues with UPS or Parcelforce via Interparcel.com or ParcelmonkeyI'd recommend them or as above, see if you can sort a 'wam taxi'
I sent a pair of Linn Ninka's with these, original box's help too .

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can use one of the parcel carriers but they all cock up at some point, people saying they have never had a problem with a parcel carrier is a bit like people saying they don't bother backing up data because they have never had a hard drive failure.

They forget to add the word 'yet'.

If you want to use a proper end to end courier where your speakers won't get dropped off the back of a tail lift then try these guys.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?88695-Courier-Delivery&highlight=Courier

It will be more expensive than a parcel carrier but you get the service you pay for.

seasidersrock

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2009
Blackpool
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
InterParcel or Pharos. If it goes Pete Tong there customer service is excellent. Don't bother with Parcel Farce. I have used UPS exclusively for about 5 years. CDP to Italy, Pre to Spain. Etc. So far all items have arrived on time and importantly undamaged.

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I always use UPS booked through ParcelBroker or InterParcel. Max size I have sent so far is about 4ft long. They have a pallet service if you are into seriously big or heavy.

Sometimes if sending two parcels of identical weight and size at the same time I have got it for very little more than the cost of one parcel.

L

lostintranslation

Most of those companies wont take floorstanders bought through third party sites, plus the costs are astronomical with insurance.

Use Direct Courier Solutions, Twin box deal around £20, they use Interlink, which is who Q Acoustics, Tannoy etc use.

Job Done.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just make sure what you send is well packed
This is probably the best bit of advice here so far. Personally I would only consider shipping large speakers if they were double boxed.

htm_1968

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2012
Liverpool
AKA
Olan
You can use one of the parcel carriers but they all cock up at some point, people saying they have never had a problem with a parcel carrier is a bit like people saying they don't bother backing up data because they have never had a hard drive failure.They forget to add the word 'yet'.

If you want to use a proper end to end courier where your speakers won't get dropped off the back of a tail lift then try these guys.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?88695-Courier-Delivery&highlight=Courier

It will be more expensive than a parcel carrier but you get the service you pay for.
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif
This.

I sold an absolutely mint pair of Naim SL2s in maple a few years back. Very difficult to pack even with the original boxes and incredibly easy to damage if not treated with a lot of respect. Lint picked them up from me in Liverpool himself IIRC and delivered them to my buyer down south later that day. Brilliant service, lovely chap, and worth the minimal extra ££ to know the job will get done with all due care and attention. Extremely highly recommended.

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
I work in the distribution industry.

I would not ship floor standing speakers through any parcel carrier - pick your packed speaker up and drop it from waist height - this is what is going to happen during sorting at parcel hubs. Millions of parcels are being sorted on a nightly basis and do not imagine that your precious speakers are being handled with kid gloves.

A dedicated end to end courier or a pallet service are the way to go to ensure safe transit, then again if you want to save money use a parcel carrier and pray.

d_a_n1979

Bigger than you
Wammer
Nov 10, 2007
Lost; in Lancashire
AKA
Dan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
^^^

You may have first hand knowledge of those issues with who you work with

But I've used UPS to send floorstanders many times and never had any issues, they've always been well packed and boxed and sent with the right amount of insurance, and delivered next day with decent tracking!

Ive sent Rega RS3s and 5s, Neat Motive 2s, AE109s and 120s, Monitor Audio RS6s and 8s and RX6s etc... No issues with any of them!

The only thing I changed is that I packed all the empty space in the boxes with lots of bubble wrap! Used their original boxes and cartons/packing materials, but that added extra bubble wrap gives peace of mind!

I bought a roll of this a year or so ago: https://www.amazon.co.uk/750mm-Bubblewrap-Bubble-Pluto-Packaging/dp/B01A94D3MI/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1465725514&sr=8-17&keywords=Bubble+wrap

Its still going now and I've used it to wrap alloy wheels and all sorts. For £10 it's worth it and you'll always find a use for it
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just had my first disappointment with Pharos/UPS. The packaging for a pair of standmounts must have been dropped or bashed so hard, one of the magnet assemblies came away from the driver cone. It was rattling about inside the cab and dislodged a component on the crossover board. Luckily it was repairable. Pharos said a claim can only be made if there was a minimum of 6 cm of padding all round. The seller didn't do that so I have no case.

notevenclose

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 31, 2007
Perth, Scotland
AKA
Miles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I work in the distribution industry.I would not ship floor standing speakers through any parcel carrier - pick your packed speaker up and drop it from waist height - this is what is going to happen during sorting at parcel hubs. Millions of parcels are being sorted on a nightly basis and do not imagine that your precious speakers are being handled with kid gloves.

A dedicated end to end courier or a pallet service are the way to go to ensure safe transit, then again if you want to save money use a parcel carrier and pray.
Good advice. I've had a pair of AudioNotes trashed by a courier, although the box appeared undamaged. Both voice coils damaged.

When I sold my R2s a decade back, boxes were clearly marked 1 of 3, etc (cabinets plus external crossovers). TNT still managed to separate and lose one of the speakers, albeit it turned up 4 days later. Not good for my blood pressure.

When I sold my OBX-RWs recently, I got Definitive to supply the newer double box packaging rather than my original single wall cartons. Even then I paid a mate with a van who had the appropriate level of insurance for third-party goods to deliver them.

With a value of 10 grand new, entrusting them to a bog standard courier delivery for the sake of saving a few quid just seemed nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.