are any of you're mates in to hifi.

• NEW! Linn Owners Club CLICK HERE and please click join club to have full access.
G

What do you reckon John:D. My best mate passed out when i told him i'd bought the Wadia. When i told him about the Kharma's he wanted me sectioned.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I managed to convince and help a friend buy a new hifi last year (denon dvd2900/Orelle EVo amp/PMC DB1+) which was great fun, he wanted a nice system to do everything and asked me to help him out.

But sadly he isn't really into hifi and I get the 'fuckin muppet' look all the time from pretty much everybody, and they think I'm a geek when I talk about tonearms
wub.png
. some of these people are just plain weird.

bommer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
STEVENAGE
AKA
JOHN
Duvet wrote:

What do you reckon John:D. My best mate passed out when i told him i'd bought the Wadia. When i told him about the Kharma's he wanted me sectioned.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
you're mate seems like a reasonable bloke Danny:p:D:raoflmfao:

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Nottingham, United K
AKA
Craig
Years ago, my best mate introduced me to the delights of big American hifi, Mccintosh, Phase Linear, Bose, Amcron etc, and got me hooked, now, until i sold him my Marantz av amp , mission 73's and tosh 330 (which he uses as a cd spinner too) he was using a 5 cd Aiwa all in one job, and thinks im a total prat spending what i have, and says bell wire is more than adequate for speaker cable!!!:Not Sure:

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I told my cycling mates I couldn't decide wether to spend £600 on a new power amp or a pair of Mavic Carbon Cosmics, they gave me a funny look!

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
None of my m8s are properly into hifi...

They're always impressed when they hear mine, and ask my advice if they're buying anything but none will spend more than about £2-300 on a component.. Most expect the entire hifi for that, though they'll think nowt of blowing £30-40k on a car!

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Not really: most are heavily into music, but not so fussed about what it's played on.

Brother-in-law would be if wife & kid didn't spend all his money (he's had an old NAD 3130 off me & is still running my old Mission 762s).

Mate Pete nearly is (sort of), but he can't /won't set his sub up properly & won't listen to me when I tell him it's horribly boomy.

If we had mates who were into hi-fi would we spend so much time in places like this?????

Boxer

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My mates are more into sport - certainly none of them bought a system like mine - in fact i think they sadly only tend to listen to music in the car. But it's when friends generally come round I lose it - they come in see the CD collection and it's "have you got the latest by Robbie Williams - it's ever so good" - get out go away - I'm choosing our friends more carefully from here on!

PS: No offence meant to those of you who are inclined to listen to young Bobbo.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After hearing one of my previous setups 3 of my mates got into Hi-Fi.

One owns an expensive Meridian 500-series setup with MA Studio 60s

The other two own Naim Nait 5 kit.

E

earl of sodbury

Bizarrely, most of my closest friends are female, so you can guess the rest...

A

adam

I've been suprised by the amount of poeple who do like hifi,or AV and LCDs etc,I get alot of intrest,and I don't think people find it wierd or odd at all,a few women that walk by look in to,I think that whatputs off most people is the price,quality hifi costs,plasmas LCD screens cost.

I think when you talk about cables directionality and other bizzare topics,that's when you get the,he escaped from the lunitic asylum look on peoples faces,if you can mix AV into your hifi I don't think people have any problems with this at all.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My mates are OK. I got some very strange looks from work colleagues when they found out how much I'd paid for an elderly, second-hand JVC CD player that didn't even run off UK mains voltage...
biggrin.png

They are also a bit baffled by the numerouslarge boxes that keep coming and going to and from my office via DHL. They probably think I'm an arms dealer.

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have a colleague who has a Marantz CD63Ki, Rega Brio, AE109's. Convinced him to upgrade his speakers to Dynaudio's.

Another mate has a big AV system.

Another mate has a NAD C370, Arcam Alpha 7SE and some Mission speakers

Another mate has the same system as above but with Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers

Another mate has a Rega P3, Rega Planet 2000 and Rega Mira with Audio Physic speakers

Another mate has an Arcam Alpha 9 cd player with an Arcam amp with JBL speakers

Another mate has a 100 disc Sony cd changer with a Sony dvd player and a Sony a/v amp with JBL 3-way towers.

Another mate has an all-Technics hi-fi system with Cerwin Vega speakers....

My cousin has a Sony ES cd player, Carver amplification and Yamaha NS1000M's

So quitea few mates with hi-fi's.