Eddie RU Kidding
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Oz
AKA
Eddie R U Kidding p:
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thinking of buying one and wondered what other thought of it. the Obvious comparisons included............... ;)

The RD11 shared many features with the LP12 Sondek of the period, so much so that many of the upgrades for the LP12 (Valhalla power supply, Nirvana springs etc) will also fit the Ariston. The main differences include the armboard shape (the Ariston's is round) and the main bearing design.

As with all good things, the Ariston RD11 is very simple in concept - and in turntable design, simplicity is the essence of perfection.

A 24 pole synchronous motor, specially designed by Ariston engineers for the RD11 minimises wow and flutter.

Its smooth running, combined with the high mass platter, have contributed to unquestionably excellent specifications.

The main bearing elements consist of a precision ground mirror-finished shaft resting on a perfectly spherical ball-bearing, giving a single point of contact - and reducing friction to a bare minimum.

The tone arm and platter are mounted on a shock absorber to achieve isolation from external vibrations, and two external concentric rubber rings provide positive record support with minimum surface contact, thus eliminating electrostatic build-up.

A slip-clutch mechanism on the belt drive prevents belt stretching and, aided by the high torque motor, ensures a swift and smooth build up to playing speed.

Ariston Audio RD11 - Brilliantly designed, precision engineered to bring you just one quality. Sound perfection.

The similarities between the Linn and the Ariston turntables are truly
amazing – so much so that many upgrades for the Linn LP12 Sondek (like
the Valahalla electronics package, Nirvana springs upgrade, etc) also
will fit almost all Ariston RD-11 turntables.

Few people today know about these Ariston turntables, or their
meteoric rise and fall in the mid 1970’s.  Fewer still know the very
intriguing history that the Ariston RD-11 was in fact the predecessor
to the world famous and enduring Linn LP12 Sondek turntable, and that
the Linn was based upon this prior Ariston design.  Both turntables
were machined in the same Castle Engineering factory in Scotland, with
the Ariston preceding the Linn by three years.

There are many variations of this story, but what is undisputed is
that Hamish Robertson, the founder of Ariston, designed the Ariston
RD11 in 1971, and contracted Castle Precision Engineering to machine
the critical tight tolerance tapered shaft and bearing assembly that
is key to the superb results of both the Ariston and the Linn.  In
1973, just 2 years after it had begun, Hamish Robertson left the
company he founded after it was taken over by Dunlop. Within a year,
Ivor Tiefenbrun (the son of the owner of Castle Engineering) debuted a
new company and a new turntable design that looked – interior part for
part – like an exact replica of the Ariston RD-11 turntable with a few
cosmetic changes.  That new company was Linn, and the turntable was
the Linn Sondek LP12, which would go on to become perhaps the most
enduring turntable of all time.

In those early years for Linn, the Sondek LP12 was not only
essentially identical to the Ariston RD-11, it was at first even
marketed that way.  In Vol. 6, issue No. 2 of the February 1973 Hi-Fi
News & Record Review, Linn announced the release of their new LP12
turntable with the following text: "The turntable previously available
under the name Ariston RD11 is now available under the name Linn
LP12”.

ariston_rd11.jpg

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To all intents and purposes Ivor stole the design from Ariston. The supply of parts from Castle Engineering, owned by Ivors dad, dried up and the rest is history.

EddieRUKidding

Eddie RU Kidding
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Oz
AKA
Eddie R U Kidding p:
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How long have you had it- an RD11 is on my shopping list - keen to hear more about them from users

shawnwes

New Wammer
Feb 16, 2019
The table pictured above is not the original RD 11. The one above is the E model. The original versions had the rectangular armboard and is the design that Linn copied to begin making their own version, the rest of course is history.

Reactions: EddieRUKidding

SimonH

New Wammer
Mar 12, 2019
Hello. I have an RD11S that has been in storage in a loft for many a year. It s in generally good condition, but the spindle will not slide easily into the central bearing shaft. It feels very tight and not how it should; it will not spin freely.

Does anyone know of someone who might be able to effect a repair on this? i don't know whether the sleeve inner can be "bored out" or something similar. There was a guy in Leigh near Manchester who apparently used to fix vintage hifi like this, but I can't seem to get a number or email address for him.

All suggestions gratefully received.

noshamish

New Wammer
Feb 17, 2019
hi, I have a couple or so RD11 models, I right like 'em. they do the business. I don't think you can go wrong.

Got two (Two button) RD 11 and a RD 11 with rocker switch, some 11S' and a Superieur. they are all extremely pleasant.

noshamish

New Wammer
Feb 17, 2019
Hello. I have an RD11S that has been in storage in a loft for many a year. It s in generally good condition, but the spindle will not slide easily into the central bearing shaft. It feels very tight and not how it should; it will not spin freely.

Does anyone know of someone who might be able to effect a repair on this? i don't know whether the sleeve inner can be "bored out" or something similar. There was a guy in Leigh near Manchester who apparently used to fix vintage hifi like this, but I can't seem to get a number or email address for him.

All suggestions gratefully received.
if the oil is ok, then maybe it has a tight tolerance. how long does it take to go down?

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How long have you had it- an RD11 is on my shopping list - keen to hear more about them from users
Might be on my sell list if you're still interested. Early-ish model with SME3009. Just need to make sure I can live with the downgrade to a Sony DD first.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The original Ariston RD 11 had two switches on the left one for on one for off.  The first Linns were identical (with the orange lable having the Ariston name cut off).  The guts were the same (minor differences in plinths) and the lid was sourced from Goldring Leno for both (being the lid of a GL75).  Linn then changed to on off switch to a Rocker and later a push button.

Peter Dunlop (later Systemdek) bought the company from Hamish and the mark two was identical with the exception that they had a ball bearing (instead of a single point) and a single switch rocker for on off.  Later mods included a polished platter with two rubber O rings for the record support (rather than a felt mat) and Hamish left to do his Fons thing.  Other than the bearing tip (which makes sod all difference to the sound IMO) the only real difference between the two being the fluted plinth on the Linn.

Ariston was bought by a Scottish dealer (the name escapes me) and then over time the top plate and arm mounting changed (for the better) and a number of derivatives arrived the RD 80 90 and 110 etc.

I have a number of photos of an original taken from one I bought for friend some years back on eBay for the princely sum of £68 (which I understand is now residing with Hamish's daughter).

If you have one of the originals (or the Dunlop) soundwise there is little to no difference to an LP12 and enjoy it knowing that yours is far rarer :)  

arston rd11.jpg

noshamish

New Wammer
Feb 17, 2019
The original Ariston RD 11 had two switches on the left one for on one for off.  The first Linns were identical (with the orange lable having the Ariston name cut off).  The guts were the same (minor differences in plinths) and the lid was sourced from Goldring Leno for both (being the lid of a GL75).  Linn then changed to on off switch to a Rocker and later a push button.

Peter Dunlop (later Systemdek) bought the company from Hamish and the mark two was identical with the exception that they had a ball bearing (instead of a single point) and a single switch rocker for on off.  Later mods included a polished platter with two rubber O rings for the record support (rather than a felt mat) and Hamish left to do his Fons thing.  Other than the bearing tip (which makes sod all difference to the sound IMO) the only real difference between the two being the fluted plinth on the Linn.

Ariston was bought by a Scottish dealer (the name escapes me) and then over time the top plate and arm mounting changed (for the better) and a number of derivatives arrived the RD 80 90 and 110 etc.

I have a number of photos of an original taken from one I bought for friend some years back on eBay for the princely sum of £68 (which I understand is now residing with Hamish's daughter).

If you have one of the originals (or the Dunlop) soundwise there is little to no difference to an LP12 and enjoy it knowing that yours is far rarer :)  

IMG_2444.JPG
I like that record player, it's the zstereo photo. Does that one belong to the daughter of Hamish? 

oldtech64

New Wammer
Sep 27, 2019
Hi all, I have an Ariston 11 Superieur, which I loved, unfortunately during a house move the power supply got lost. I have spent many hours trying to get information that would help me locate a replacement, but no luck. Does anyone have any advice, or even knowledge of exact spec? I am unsure if it is ac or dc, or the voltage. Many thanks, Andy.

noshamish

New Wammer
Feb 17, 2019
Hi all, I have an Ariston 11 Superieur, which I loved, unfortunately during a house move the power supply got lost. I have spent many hours trying to get information that would help me locate a replacement, but no luck. Does anyone have any advice, or even knowledge of exact spec? I am unsure if it is ac or dc, or the voltage. Many thanks, Andy.
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=39511

See if you can glean some info from here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles