Audiolab 6000a and Dynaudio Emit M20

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You must for yourself if possible listen to the speakers you want and deside if there are good enough

Had the M10 a little bright and not to much bass but playing edm there was plenty of bass and most dynaudios can handle alot of power, i think my M20's easily could handle 2x100 watt (rock,pop music), sold my speakers but just before the buyer was here to collect them i wrote to him if it where possible to let me keep them, to late a few min later he was here to collect them

I bought Mission QX-2's they are bass monsters and can handle alot of clean power, even when playing edm, good sensitivity

9Cows

New Wammer
Mar 17, 2020
Thanks @gasolin - I understand, there is nothing like auditioning, however where I live, it is sadly impossible. Hence, need to make a well read and informed decision.

and thanks @mr neds for sharing your experience here about both the speakers. 

So here if I understand correctly, from a purely technical and specification point of view, it will be stressful for 6000a to drive Emit M20s and there will always be a fear of a disaster waiting to happen. However @mr neds and @Nearly bewildered were able to drive them successfully, with similar powered amps, though the suggestion was made in favor of a higher power amp. So, basically Emits are out. 

9Cows

New Wammer
Mar 17, 2020
One last question please - are there any other speakers, that you guys can suggest within the Emit 20s budget, that have a similar sound signature and might complement my music choices and in particular the AMP. 

How I wish I would have waited on the AMP. 

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try to listen to Wharfedale EVO 4.1 if possible and Triangle Borea BR03

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9Cows

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks @gasolin - I understand, there is nothing like auditioning, however where I live, it is sadly impossible. Hence, need to make a well read and informed decision.

and thanks @mr neds for sharing your experience here about both the speakers. 

So here if I understand correctly, from a purely technical and specification point of view, it will be stressful for 6000a to drive Emit M20s and there will always be a fear of a disaster waiting to happen. However @mr neds and @Nearly bewildered were able to drive them successfully, with similar powered amps, though the suggestion was made in favor of a higher power amp. So, basically Emits are out. 
Why? Dynaudio speakers are fab..yes they like power but quite happy with low powered amps too! You wont find a better speaker for the money..wharfdales speakers are excellent..but they cant compare to dynaudio..dynaudio set the bar high with their cheapest speakers..and they retain high resale value ( for obvious reasons)

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi 9cows...

Good evening :)

As is the general wisdom on the wam.  Auditioning is the only way to avoid a heart break. 

Both the concept 20's as well as the Emit 20's might be available on hifimart. Which might be why you are tempted by either . But that is just my wild guess. I've lived with the concept 40's for almost 6 years now. So can't recommend the concept 20's enough. But since I've never heard a dynauido before, I cant suggest one over the other. Can you take the time to travel to your closest city to have a listen to the dyn's.  Might be worth the time and effort. And auditions are lots of fun too. You can carry your amp with you and give them both a spin.

All the best .

emcc_3e

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Morecambe
AKA
Eamon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi 9cows...

Good evening :)

As is the general wisdom on the wam.  Auditioning is the only way to avoid a heart break. 

Both the concept 20's as well as the Emit 20's might be available on hifimart. Which might be why you are tempted by either . But that is just my wild guess. I've lived with the concept 40's for almost 6 years now. So can't recommend the concept 20's enough. But since I've never heard a dynauido before, I cant suggest one over the other. Can you take the time to travel to your closest city to have a listen to the dyn's.  Might be worth the time and effort. And auditions are lots of fun too. You can carry your amp with you and give them both a spin.

All the best .
TBH I don't think anyone will be able to travel to a city in the near future ;-) Though you are spot on with your advice in that demos are the best way to go.

9Cows

New Wammer
Mar 17, 2020
Thanks @newlash09 and @emcc_3e for your advice. However, as mentioned - currently going anywhere is out of question, moreover, where I live anything to demo is not close by and travelling to those cities is expensive to say the least if your only agenda is to audition gear, I do not want to dent my speaker budget :D

I mentioned earlier that I have heard both the Concept 20's and the Emits before, however never together and never with this AMP, both were in known people's houses and if my memory serves me right, Concepts were being driven with something very basic or perhaps a receiver, but Emits were being juiced by something beefy. Also considering the impromptu auditioning was a few months apart, I can just say from my memory both were fantastic, but Emits were better, but I am not sure, cause I never got an A/B.  

I do understand there is no real way to judge except an audition, but my circumstances at the moment do not allow that atleast for the next 4-5 month! 

Thanks again everyone, for giving me your kind advice! @mr neds for patiently feeding my curiosity, @gasolin for his technical advice and @Nearly bewildered for all the encouraging words to go with Dynas :D, if I do however, keeping all my inhibitions aside go with Emits I will thank you forever! 

Cheers! 

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know why no one has metioned it before (luckily im here to the rescue)

Theres a preout on the amp so buy both, if you in half a year or more, when this virus thing hopefully is over, you can go and audition some power amps (if you need more power) there must be some used amps close to where you live.

6000-rear-silver-2.png

Reactions: newlash09 and 9Cows

9Cows

New Wammer
Mar 17, 2020
Brilliant @gasolin, now that is perfect, believe it or not, before I saw your message I was taking a 'formal' approval to put just another box along with the 6000a (not counting the future record player - which somehow is pre-approved because it is aesthetically pleasing) and I got it. I know it has a pre-out but I wasn't sure about when and if I can get a Power Amp as 'aesthetics' is paramount, but this sounds just about perfect! I will wait for the 8300XP to show up in the market, future proof me (that's what we all say), and in the mean time, just hope no-body blows up the 6000a or the Emit 20s. 

Thanks again you all! This has been great help. 

mykeldg

New Wammer
Apr 28, 2021
Dynaudios requiring megawatts are a myth. I've been driving Dyn x18 (higher tier than the m20) with a 30-watt amp and it sounds fine and nothing broke, sounds incredible. What matters is if the amp is competently designed with decent power supply. Lots of integrateds can easily handle a 4 ohm load. It is only in the context of budget HT amps is were you need to be cautious of their power ratings.

The Audiolab 6000a, despite 50W has a decent power supply & has 60,000uf caps with dual rails, most of the 1000-1500$ amps don't even have the same amount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.