Auditioning Products

antonbhoy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2005
Glasgow, , United Ki
AKA
Anthony
Does anyone here demo units at a hifi store with the intention of not buying anything, because thereareproducts I would like to demo, (but not buy), but I feel it would be wrong to waste there time
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
. Should I just ask if they are holding a bake off, and is that what the stores call it?

U

Umberto

I demoed some Naim stuff at a dealers without the intention of buying and the dealer seemed ok with it but i wouldn't do it too often at the same dealer.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you are able to build a relationship with a good local dealer, who you do buy from, they will very often let you hear (demo) stuff that you may not buy. They work on the idea that if they are fair and helpful with you, then they will benefit from your purchases when you make them.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Dealers often hold open days (their version of a bakeoff) and thats probably the best way to start. Good dealers will let you listen to stuff on occasions because they know that when you are eventually in a postion to buy something they will be on your radar. Just be open and honest with them, and be flexible.... ie be prepared to listen on a quieter day rather than on their busiest etc etc

KT66

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 15, 2005
, , United Kingdom
AKA
Barry Wom
some dealers won't mind as they think it'll plant an idea in your head and they may be able to talk you into it

why not just lie?

Nick

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
I would just be straight up and ask to have a listen. I would imagne that as long a you dont turn up with 50 cds and your lunch for an eight hour session every day most dealers would be happy to let you hear the kit.

12Bore

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 1, 2005
Pub
AKA
Joe
Just be honest and tell the dealer the truth, most will be happy to play stuff when it's quiet, try this Sat when the football's on! Just be careful that you don't fall in love with something you can't afford
tongue.png

CTank

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Pinner, , United Kin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I work Saturday's in a branch of Sevenoaks, and would say that, like most things in life, you just need to avoid taking the P**S. We know that people need to visit different shops to hear different products, and that therefore you may end up spending the money somewhere else altogether. But as long as you're polite and genuinely interested, I take the view that if we give a good impression, we'll at least be in the running for any future purchases. Also, people are more likely to buy the 'subsidary' products, such as cables, banana plugs, stylus balances etc, etc, from the dealer nearest to them. So if a punter doesn't buy those speakers, they may be back for a cheaper (and better margined!!) item later anyway.

On the other hand, if you ask us to set up a complicated dem, turn up late, give attitude, and then ask us to price-match an internet dealer based in North Korea, it's unlikely we'll be overjoyed.

You'd be suprised how many people come into the shop to tell us what they could afford if they wanted to. It's very hard to be impressed.

A

adam

Actually some of the public can really p*** a dealer of aswell.I had some guy,asked me to visit his home,of I went,made suggestions,gave him ideas,then didn't hear from him in two months,I get a call from him,"Can you pop round my house my electrician is here,it would be agood idea to have a chat.So being the fool,of I go again,another half a day.

I get to the chaps house,he looks in a bad mood,then says to me,have you got the gear I wanted,I said no,he said why not,I said,I haven't heard from you in two months,you've left no deposit or confirmation,so of he goes in the hump,I go home..more wasted time.

I then get an email,I was charging him 3 € per metre for Chord leyline install,he said he found it in the UK for 2€,I told him,I can't go around matching everysingle price you find on the net,like i tried with him before,I suggested he found someone else to do his install and the guy,who had a massive house,three mercs,wanted it for free.

The next few weeks the guy emails me everyday,for advice on kit,connections etc,saying he would still buy from me,he then proceeds to fly to France and buy it all from there...Amazing,and people wonder why dealers get the huff or arn't helpful sometimes.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
adam wrote:

Actually some of the public can really p*** a dealer of aswell.I had some guy,asked me to visit his home,of I went,made suggestions,gave him ideas,then didn't hear from him in two months,I get a call from him,"Can you pop round my house my electrician is here,it would be agood idea to have a chat.So being the fool,of I go again,another half a day.I get to the chaps house,he looks in a bad mood,then says to me,have you got the gear I wanted,I said no,he said why not,I said,I haven't heard from you in two months,you've left no deposit or confirmation,so of he goes in the hump,I go home..more wasted time.

I then get an email,I was charging him 3 € per metre for Chord leyline install,he said he found it in the UK for 2€,I told him,I can't go around matching everysingle price you find on the net,like i tried with him before,I suggested he found someone else to do his install and the guy,who had a massive house,three mercs,wanted it for free.

The next few weeks the guy emails me everyday,for advice on kit,connections etc,saying he would still buy from me,he then proceeds to fly to France and buy it all from there...Amazing,and people wonder why dealers get the huff or arn't helpful sometimes.
i believe there is an industry term for this type of customer. It starts with a 'w' and ends with 'anker'.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to hear that story Adam. It sounds like you had a right
knobhead.gif.1aeed4448a75af39cdfcbc1c618d08b5.gif
there. Funny thing is, it's always the biggest
knobhead.gif.1aeed4448a75af39cdfcbc1c618d08b5.gif
with all the money. I guess as 'the customer is always right' you have to tread a thin line between trying to be amicable and resisting calling him a prat!

Hopefully you don't get too many of that type?

A

adam

turnitup! wrote:

you have to tread a thin line between trying to be amicable and resisting calling him a prat!
Yes,but I learn't my lesson from it,because he had money,he thought he had power to get people to do things at a wim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles