• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Auditioning speakers

Musicraft

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Jun 18, 2008
Derby
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the F1 analogy could be applied to the carbon fibre PMC cones. Super light, stiff, responsive, accurate, fast.

I do not see how that can be applied to an old car audio subwoofer. As said, I've demo'd them when they very first came out.

What mega vmax heavy subs do very well is... cannon fire, explosions, spaceship rumbles, mega SPL. ie... Quantity.

You've come charging in with your direct and indirect pops at JL Audio.

Firstly "I have some experience with the drivers used in those JL Gotham subs." Then in your subsequent post in response to my post you wrote that you've heard the Gotham's. You then deleted this and replaced with "As said, I've demo'd them when they very first came out." I believe you :D

Now you're back to PMC's with their "carbon fibre PMC cones. Super light, stiff, responsive, accurate, fast." And yet JL Audio's Fathom f112's drivers use just good old mineral filled polypropylene skins and can go on to show the PMC's/IB2'S/IB2SE's the true quality of low end performance.

As good as the current Formula 1 safety cars Mercedes and Aston Martin (PMC's) are in their own right however even when they're at their vmax :D in front of the Formula 1 cars (JL Audio subs), the safety cars are in comparison just plodding along :)

jl audio fathom f112 v2 1.jpg

Unfathomable sub bass by JL Audio.

jl audio dual fathom f112 v2's pmc ib2se.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mac72

AndyCC72

Wammer
Mar 4, 2021
Bexley, Kent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would be without my 2 subs, but I’ll caveat that by saying it wasn’t until I got an amp with room correction that seamlessly integrates them did I release how good they can be. I don’t even know they’re there.

I listen to a lot of electronic music and reggae so good bass (and I don’t mean overblown) is important to me.

Reactions: mac72

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You've come charging in with your direct and indirect pops at JL Audio.

Firstly "I have some experience with the drivers used in those JL Gotham subs." Then in your subsequent post in response to my post you wrote that you've heard the Gotham's. You then deleted this and replaced with "As said, I've demo'd them when they very first came out." I believe you :D

Now you're back to PMC's with their "carbon fibre PMC cones. Super light, stiff, responsive, accurate, fast." And yet JL Audio's Fathom f112's drivers use just good old mineral filled polypropylene skins and can go on to show the PMC's/IB2'S/IB2SE's the true quality of low end performance.

As good as the current Formula 1 safety cars Mercedes and Aston Martin (PMC's) are in their own right however even when they're at their vmax :D in front of the Formula 1 cars (JL Audio subs), the safety cars are in comparison just plodding along :)

jl audio fathom f112 v2 1.jpg

Unfathomable sub bass by JL Audio.

jl audio dual fathom f112 v2's pmc ib2se.jpg's pmc ib2se.jpg
Hi bud, can I ask, is your site in the process of being updated? I for some reason can’t see your product list..

Reactions: Musicraft

Musicraft

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Jun 18, 2008
Derby
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi bud, can I ask, is your site in the process of being updated? I for some reason can’t see your product list..

Yes, our site is being worked on -

In the meantime please accept my apology for any inconvenience this might cause. If you need advise on a product then please email me or preferably call me on my mobile.

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's set up!
Home demo of an ex-dem pair of Proac D30RS in black ash starting 30th September.
Not my preferred colour, but being able to take the step up to the 30's feels nice.

If the home-demo is good and the GF approves, I might have new speakers very soon!

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I've had the Proacs here for a week now and am amazed at the way these speakers elevate the whole experience of listening to music.
I've already had some clichés confirmed (hearing new things on familiar music for instance) and really like the improvement particular in the bass. Not surprising seeing the move from standmount to floorstander.
I'm quite surprised in hearing most of the benefit in playing CD's compared to vinyl records, must have something to do with the CD-format having a wider frequency spectrum. Is that correct?

Thanks everyone for helping out and giving your opinions!

Reactions: Lurch and DomT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
night_tripper