• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

AVI Neutron vs Dynaudio vs Leema small standmounters

Bi Focal

Perpetually changing tuners
Wammer
Jul 2, 2011
West Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
AVI has now come into the equation for potential small standmounts to go on the end of my Arcam Solo. What is their signature sound compared to Dynaudio 42/52s or Leema Xeros?

lee1975

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2010
Nottingham, England
AKA
Lee
Tough one that all good speakers. I have heard that first two and both are good but I would go for avi's. They are little gems and good all around. Saying that the Leemas may be better.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had the Neutron IVs. Great little minis. Against my Spendor S3/5R, Xeros and Dyn DM 2/6, I'd say on the scale of added warmth , it is '0' i.e., it is pretty neutral but can sound lean with the wrong partners. You're likely to need a powerful and beefy sounding ss amp (>70w) to bring out body in its mids, and efface its 'tight' voicing. This tautness has some similairy to the sealed-box ATC SCM11. Both can sound unyielding and dark with hard-sounding ss amps.

I'm a bit of an Arcam fanboy these days:p, but I not sure the Solo's modest wattage is ideally suited for the Neutrons. I'd prolly prefer to match the Solo with the Xeros or Dyn DM standmount.

IMO, the Xero is more liquid-sounding than the Neutron IV, while an equivalent Dyn mini (DM 2/6 or X12, I last heard) is richer and fuller albeit less neutral.

The Neutron IV offer insightful detail into voices and has an exceptionally clear and detailed treble, the Scanspeak.

YMMV, of course.

SS

Bi Focal

Perpetually changing tuners
Wammer
Jul 2, 2011
West Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very helpful SS. Lots points me towards Xeros - plus they are nicely tiny! They dont come up that often and I dont want to pay the £365 being asked currently on the bay......

To confuse matters I've been offered Naim N-Sats. I know NOTHING about them and they've never been on my radar. How do they compare?

I'm fast recognising that the Solo is a possible weak link but I have consciously downsized my second system and wanted something detailed to bring the Arcam to life...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx