B&W Speakers - what are your thoughts on the CDM-1NT's

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
When I first got my MF gear many moons ago a friend of mine recommended B&W speakers (he had CDM-7Nt's with a load of lozenge x-series gear) but I shied away preferring the Monitor Audio sound at the time
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

I've often thought about getting some B&W speakers to try with the MF gear but never got round to it. I've read snippets that people like the original CDM-1NT's - could anyone expand on whether this is a good speaker (what was its RRP) and how it compares with todays speakers (Proac etc.).

Are these things bass light or up there with the GB1's?

How would you describe the sound compared to what you've heard?

All thoughts gratefully received
smile.png

A

Alex A

Hi gsrai,

About six years back, I used to use the MF A3 CDP, X-A2 amp, and a pair of Monitor Audio Studio 2SE (RRP £700 but got them for £500). The CDM 1NT came out at about the same time as the MA GR10, and I had a bit of money so thought an upgrade might be in order. I auditioned a few speakers in that bracket, but not the PMC, so I can't comment on how they compare.

For me the CDM 1NTs sounded special straight away, whereas the rest were very good competent speakers but not really any better than my Studio 2s. The original RRP for the CDM 1NT was £750, and they were replaced 2-3 years back by the 705 which I thought was a worse speaker in most ways. Anyway, what eventually made me sell the CDMs was the offer of a mint 2nd hand pair of Nautilus 805s at a great price. The 805 and 1NTs used the exact same drivers I believe, and the £650 price difference accounted for the Nautilus cabinet, exposed tweeter and crossover.

In some ways, however, the CDMs were the more fun speaker. The bass was slightly less extended but tighter, and they really sang well. Having the Nautilus spec tweeter, I also found their treble not at all harsh (unlike some metal tweeters), and extremely detailed and well projected (The treble at least I think will trump the more ordinary PMC unit). I rather regret selling them, as I think they made a classic combo with the MF kit.

As for the bass, it was rather deep and powerful in my smallish room, but I don't know what you'd get in a large room side by side with the PMC TL speakers. Either way I'd say it's certainly worth a listen. These were very popular sub £1000 speakers for two years, and the fact that they rarely come up on the 2nd hand market says rather a lot. Even if you don't like them, you'll get a decent price for them (£400+ at least) if you decided to sell on again.

B&W have always excelled with standmounters and their statement speakers, but I've always been dubious about their larger speakers lower down the ranges. The bass always seems somewhat detached from the rest of the range, clearly the case from the 600 series still, and I think to a lesser extent it was true of the CDM NT range. As such, I'd probably choose the 1's over the 7's or 9's, purely for the sake of driver integration. Which makes them rather a bargain.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I owned the CDM9NTs for over four years - they were superb floorstanders and very underrated imo. Only sold them because of room interaction issues when i moved to a smaller house (relationship break-up etc). The 1NTs i heard once at Sevenoaks in Bedford. A lovely little speaker and i would say fairly close to the 805. Well worth a look.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
gsrai wrote:

When I first got my MF gear many moons ago a friend of mine recommended B&W speakers (he had CDM-7Nt's with a load of lozenge x-series gear) but I shied away preferring the Monitor Audio sound at the time
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
I've often thought about getting some B&W speakers to try with the MF gear but never got round to it. I've read snippets that people like the original CDM-1NT's - could anyone expand on whether this is a good speaker (what was its RRP) and how it compares with todays speakers (Proac etc.).

Are these things bass light or up there with the GB1's?

How would you describe the sound compared to what you've heard?

All thoughts gratefully received
smile.png
They are a great speaker I had a pair
smile.png

U

Umberto

Papa Lazarou wrote:

I owned the CDM9NTs for over four years - they were superb floorstanders and very underrated imo. Only sold them because of room interaction issues when i moved to a smaller house (relationship break-up etc). The 1NTs i heard once at Sevenoaks in Bedford. A lovely little speaker and i would say fairly close to the 805. Well worth a look.
Is Sevenoaks still the only hifi dealer in Bedford Phil? Went there a few years ago while visiting my sis.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes i think so. Haven't visited in a few years, they're heavily into AV these days. Last time i went they'd lost the Naim franchise and had little of interest in stock tbh. Not many good dealers in these parts, i usually have to travel a fair way.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The First proper HiFi I ever heard was a pair of B&W speakers (early 90's DMxxx) with MF amplification.

There was a definite synergy to the sound. If that continues today, could well be worth a try.

A

A.N.

in my personal oppinion, B&W's standmounts are far better than the floorstanding models. the CDM1 are a great sounding speaker, and go well with Arcam as well as MF. you wont go far wrong with them.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Papa Lazarou wrote:

goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif
and in this case close to the 804 too
26.gif.8017d59dcd366c78cba0db9463c65b0f.gif

rack_three.jpg

804 and valves for cold days and 909 and CDM 1NT for hot days
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif

A

Alex A

I love the way the light reflects off the Kevlar cones. Probably the biggest thing I miss about my CDM1s and 805s

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Papa Lazarou wrote:

Lovely photo Dave - i've gotta admit the old B&Ws really are handsome-looking transducers.
thats about 4 systems ago next came

carpet2.jpg

then these two systems

000_0475.JPG

then
rack.jpg

then

the quad 99 909 sony

then ?

then the DK :raoflmfao:

also at some time mf and ? something else

but now

000_0552.jpg

Denon SACD Magnum DAC and a DK and of course the tannoys
party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Gents

Thanks for the advice, I was a tad nervous about them as I often hear of B&W speakers not being cohesive but this doesn't sound like a problem.

Does anyone have a comparison with one of their speakers for the CDM1's (Alex your comments were really helpful)

A

Alex A

I've been watching this pair of 805s on eBay recently.

Yes they are in black, but if they go for what they look to be going for (and are genuine) they could be a great buy!

Unfortunately the listing does look very dodgy (no feedback, odd description). And how can metal stands not weigh much? Along with the speakers (11KG each) and a big box postage will be at least £50-60. And when I asked about the possibility of cash on collection I got a bit of a snooty response:

No, local pick up, since this option wasn't posted in my auction, is not available. Best regards, Jane Davis
Could of course be someone's partner who got these out of a break up wanting to just get rid.

A

Alex A

Just got this reply when I asked about shipping.

Hello,It depends how fast would you like to be delivered. For instance, if you

want to use the eBay treuhand service, I'll pay the some of the fees, so the

transport cost will be only £ 20.00.

If you wish an 1X1 transaction, then the shipping cost is £ 30.00.

Best regards.

Jane Davis
May well be genuine.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Bourney wrote:

not thinking of changing the proacs are you mate?
Not changing fella' but I have a second system that comprises an X-A200R and X-Ray CD player and was searching for a good pair of speakers for that.

Alex - I agree with your initial sentiment, I wouldn't bid on that auction for fear of what might happen. It sounds like you really loved the 1NT's I'd love to try some 805s but a tad too much for what I want.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thought you were flogging kit off to pay for building work? then you go off buying more speakers! Typical accountant i reckon, crafty as a fox and richer than they let on !
biggrin.png
How are you anyway old chum?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles