Bel Canto

Mcribbons

Mystic Mac
Wammer
Mar 22, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That’s really good to know. Are you using the internal DAC? What did the C6i replace. Sorry for all the questions!!

Cheers BB

Ask away mate !

I use the internal dac via coax from a Bluesound Node 2i for daily streaming duties, and it sounds fab. The line in also sounds great, it is fed by Rega Saturn R cd player.

it replaces a Cayin CS88a, which was great. But I think this beats it for clarity with a tighter and more nuanced bass. I was hesitant about it having a sketchy/thin top end with it being class d, but it has exceeded my expectations. Top end is lovely, controlled and smooth.

the previous year or so I listened to a few amps including Rega Elicit R, Naim Star, Primare i35, Hegel H120, Roksan Kandy K3, Rega Elex R. Admittedly most were all at different times with different speakers. I liked the Hegel, and was very surprised by the Roksan but I am very happy with this C6i.

Reactions: Brown Bottle

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Ask away mate !

I use the internal dac via coax from a Bluesound Node 2i for daily streaming duties, and it sounds fab. The line in also sounds great, it is fed by Rega Saturn R cd player.

it replaces a Cayin CS88a, which was great. But I think this beats it for clarity with a tighter and more nuanced bass. I was hesitant about it having a sketchy/thin top end with it being class d, but it has exceeded my expectations. Top end is lovely, controlled and smooth.

the previous year or so I listened to a few amps including Rega Elicit R, Naim Star, Primare i35, Hegel H120, Roksan Kandy K3, Rega Elex R. Admittedly most were all at different times with different speakers. I liked the Hegel, and was very surprised by the Roksan but I am very happy with this C6i.
Thanks mate, really useful information. I heard class D amps about 10 years ago, it seems like implementation has really improved with development. I’ll certainly have the C6i on my audition list. Thanks again.

Cheers BB

Reactions: Mcribbons

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes bel canto make superb class D amps . I have to be honest and say i have not found one single class D amp i am hapy with my horns yet including bel canto . very live sound , almost too much sometimes and so far class AB have been better . now with the tannoys its a different story . Its a case of suck it and see . Thats why i use the c5i with a arcam power amp with the horns and it has all the finesse and bite and musicality you could want

Reactions: Brown Bottle

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does anyone here have a Bel Canto E1X? If so, I'd like to pick your brains as I have it on my short list of amps with built-in DAC. Thanks. Peter

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you look in 2 channel you will see about 7 topics down some thoughts about the e1x . Pondered it a few times to replace my bc pre amps but I don't need another dac. I did get a review of it off bel canto but can't link it on my tablet. I was unsuccessful in Tring to get demo of pre 5 so gave up and can't afford it now things have gone mental with mortgages !

Strangely I put a thread on audioshark that I know you are on but no takers even though it's a USA site and us made amp

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you look in 2 channel you will see about 7 topics down some thoughts about the e1x . Pondered it a few times to replace my bc pre amps but I don't need another dac. I did get a review of it off bel canto but can't link it on my tablet. I was unsuccessful in Tring to get demo of pre 5 so gave up and can't afford it now things have gone mental with mortgages !

Strangely I put a thread on audioshark that I know you are on but no takers even though it's a USA site and us made amp
Thanks. The E1X seems to be a ridiculour price here in UK, so would only be a consideration if it was MUCH better than say the Mark Levinson 5802 at over £2K less. Peter

Reactions: hifinutt

longplayer

Wammer
Sep 6, 2021
Bath
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd like to tap the experience with Bel Canto here for any views on the REF500S. I'm eyeing one as a potential power amp for some Argon 3s. I'm not sure exactly the age of the one on offer and although Bel Canto's website has legacy user manuals, there is a general lack of detail about which products with which tech were made when. The backplate lacks the e.One prefix, but it seems likely it is that series because there does not seem to be a legacy model just called REF500S, but there's nothing to indicate what the amp technology might be; ICEpower? Of course, views on the BC/Amphion combo also welcome, as well as alternatives (I also have several other possibilities in mind...).

For context my set up is a Mytek 192 -> dynaudio 18S -> power amp -> Argons

Thanks. Julian.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Julian . yes the 500s is the icepower version. they are superb . the ref 600m is the hypex version . extremely reliable amp . having got amphion argon one here i reckon the 500s would be superb . there are a brilliant pair of 500 monoblocks on eBay too

They are e-one models . I had the 500s here and was very impressed . keep your eye out for well priced ones as some are overpriced

few marks on this one but its great VFM
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254952065583?
https://www.audioshark.org/bel-canto-183/bel-canto-ref-s500-18070.html
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/power-amplifier/bel-canto-s500-power-amplifier/

longplayer

Wammer
Sep 6, 2021
Bath
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Julian . yes the 500s is the icepower version. they are superb . the ref 600m is the hypex version . extremely reliable amp . having got amphion argon one here i reckon the 500s would be superb . there are a brilliant pair of 500 monoblocks on eBay too

They are e-one models . I had the 500s here and was very impressed . keep your eye out for well priced ones as some are overpriced

few marks on this one but its great VFM
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254952065583?
https://www.audioshark.org/bel-canto-183/bel-canto-ref-s500-18070.html
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/power-amplifier/bel-canto-s500-power-amplifier/
thanks for digging out the other links. The audioshark thread is helpful because of recency. The one at nintronics is what I'm looking at. It's been up on eBay for some time and was previously at something like £1300, which seemed a bit steep. £900 is a fair bit better. It looks to have the bevelled faceplate: is that the earlier or later production? Trying to get a sense of the age. The monoblocks (too expensive for me anyway) appear to have the square faceplate. A couple of dealers are notionally offering "new" REF500S at £2500, which is a little odd given it's discontinued. Reviews are pretty thin on the ground, at least for this precise model, there might be some for the equivalent integrated - would that be like your C5i? - but I've not yet looked because of the work involved in establishing which integrateds might be relevant.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes stupid price on an used c5i from well known dealer . 700 quid
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275478841922? for that money its a cracking integrated for someone or as an excellent pre amp

there will be plenty of dealers selling off ref500sbecause the new 501s in stock now but 2.5k would not be a good price imho . better that one at nintronics at 899

the square shape is the old type
i just bought a round bevel type for my pre 3 which cost 200 quid !! they are fairly easy to fit

bcpr3 vbs by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

this is my c5i used as a pre
P1070890 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

the nintronics one at 899 looks fairly recent with its round bevel finish

Reactions: Jezzer

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah, I’ve got one. How can I help?
Hi CdR - Thanks for responding about the E1X. Since my post, I've read a couple of reviews that have answered some of my questions. However it's only the E1X Integrated I'm interested in - I'm not sure whether you have this or the power amp, as neither is listed in your profile.

Assuming you have the Integrated, do you use its streaming facility and if so, do you use its own control app or do you have a Roon device and subscription? I rather hope you don't use Roon as I'd prefer to buy an all-in-one that has a control app that can offer easy intuitive control without resorting to the extra cost of Roon hardware and subscription. I'm currently using the NAD M33 with its excellent BluOS control app that's as good as Roon in most respects apart from Roon's "radio" feature. Do you know if BC’s SEEK app is available for iPad and also for Windows and how good is it?

I presume a chosen album's artwork is not displayed on the BC's front panel screen. Can it find its way onto a connected TV screen - I don't think so? That's a pity as I like to be able to see what I'm listening to.

The BC uses a Class D amp. Have you compared this with any amp that uses the 200 watt Purifi Eligentakt Class D amp? That's what my M33 uses and I was under the impression this was as good as Class D gets.

I take it from your profile that you use analogue sources. I don't, so there are features in the BC that I would be paying for but don't need. How would you rate the BC's value for money (now £8000) if used for digital sources alone? The Mark Levinson 5802 offers only digital, is Class AB, but has no streaming facility. This is an alternative on my list of possible upgrade items. Which other digital amps did you look at or home demo before choosing the BC?

Any other information, opinions or suggestions greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Peter

cotes-du-rhone

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2014
West Yorks
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi CdR - Thanks for responding about the E1X. Since my post, I've read a couple of reviews that have answered some of my questions. However it's only the E1X Integrated I'm interested in - I'm not sure whether you have this or the power amp, as neither is listed in your profile.

Assuming you have the Integrated, do you use its streaming facility and if so, do you use its own control app or do you have a Roon device and subscription? I rather hope you don't use Roon as I'd prefer to buy an all-in-one that has a control app that can offer easy intuitive control without resorting to the extra cost of Roon hardware and subscription. I'm currently using the NAD M33 with its excellent BluOS control app that's as good as Roon in most respects apart from Roon's "radio" feature. Do you know if BC’s SEEK app is available for iPad and also for Windows and how good is it?

I presume a chosen album's artwork is not displayed on the BC's front panel screen. Can it find its way onto a connected TV screen - I don't think so? That's a pity as I like to be able to see what I'm listening to.

The BC uses a Class D amp. Have you compared this with any amp that uses the 200 watt Purifi Eligentakt Class D amp? That's what my M33 uses and I was under the impression this was as good as Class D gets.

I take it from your profile that you use analogue sources. I don't, so there are features in the BC that I would be paying for but don't need. How would you rate the BC's value for money (now £8000) if used for digital sources alone? The Mark Levinson 5802 offers only digital, is Class AB, but has no streaming facility. This is an alternative on my list of possible upgrade items. Which other digital amps did you look at or home demo before choosing the BC?

Any other information, opinions or suggestions greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Peter
I’m probably your worst correspondant!😀
It is the integrated, but I do use Roon. I have loaded Seek onto my Roon iPad and it does see the E1x. The app actually looks nice and would probably meet all my streaming needs, but I bought a lifetime subscription to Roon years ago.
My only experience with class ‘d’ is Bel Canto. I also have a 500s. I’m not sure I can definitively tell them apart, but my impression is that the E1x has more texture in the bass. The loudspeakers I use don’t really suit either power amplifier and I use the E1x as a 200wpc pre-amp to my 2wpc power amp! In this application, it is a wonderfully flexible product with, as you say, a configurable phono stage. It has provided a one box solution, replacing 6 boxes earlier. It is perfect for my needs and I probably won’t change it in the future.
Whether it’s worth the purchase price is an individual decision. For me, an unreserved yes.
I bought it on recommendation, and was happy to do so. My 2.5 / 500s served me well for a decade or longer…

cotes-du-rhone

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2014
West Yorks
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is the integrated, but I do use Roon. I have loaded Seek onto my Roon iPad and it does see the E1x. The app actually looks nice and would probably meet all my streaming needs, but I bought a lifetime subscription to Roon years ago.
My only experience with class ‘d’ is Bel Canto. I also have a 500s. I’m not sure I can definitively tell them apart, but my impression is that the E1x has more texture in the bass. The loudspeakers I use don’t really suit either power amplifier and I use the E1x as a 200wpc pre-amp to my 2wpc power amp! In this application, it is a wonderfully flexible product with, as you say, a configurable phono stage. It has provided a one box solution, replacing 6 boxes earlier. It is perfect for my needs and I probably won’t change it in the future.
Whether it’s worth the purchase price is an individual decision. For me, an unreserved yes.
I bought it on recommendation, and was happy to do so. My 2.5 / 500s served me well for a decade or longer…
As to the display, it does not display artwork and, I think, will not talk to a tv. There is no hdmi interface.

Reactions: hearhere

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many thanks. I only need a couple of watts for my 107 dB speakers too, but I moved away from valve amps 3 years ago and have no intention of going back! I don't need Roon at present as BluOS offers almost all that Roon des, so moving to Bel Canto may be more costly than the price of the unit as I doubt the Seek software can be used on a PC and perhaps (almost certainly) it won't have the extensive features and simplicity of BluOS. I think I'll have to find a dealer with a demo unit and try it first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles