Best 85" tv ? opinions ?

stevebrown

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2016
Hi all, my plasma screen which i love has finally bit the dust so i need to buy a new tv.

We`ve decided to go big, a large white painted room with small windows, some reflection issues in the day, but we mainly watch at night.

Mostly movies and tv series, some sport.

Sadly we cannot get a fast enough internet connection to watch 4k, ADSL only, so we watch 1080 live and download some 4k and others  to watch via an oppo udp205.

We have a big library of 720/1080 so its important that the tv upscales ok.

Does anyone here have a 75" or 85" tv , preferably 4k , LED or qLED that they would be happy to comment on my ,budget 3k ish, doesn`t stretch to oled and reflections could be an issue,.

i`m thinking sony xh90 or samsung q80t at the moment so specifically any experience of those would be appreciated.

Andyjl65

Wammer
New Wammer
May 17, 2016
Although I don't own one, Sony OLED picture quality stands out as class leading at the moment.

Costco are a good place to observe lots of tell us, free of hassle.

Wasn't keen on the Samsung curved screens. Good if you are bang in the centre but increased distortion  of image  if you are watching at any angle 

Reactions: stevebrown

stevebrown

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2016
Although I don't own one, Sony OLED picture quality stands out as class leading at the moment.

Costco are a good place to observe lots of tell us, free of hassle.

Wasn't keen on the Samsung curved screens. Good if you are bang in the centre but increased distortion  of image  if you are watching at any angle 
sadly the 77" sony is higher than my budget , also because of the way we watch and the reflections in a very light room oled is difficult, but i agree its a great picture

Andyjl65

Wammer
New Wammer
May 17, 2016
Ah so the OLED tellys have the same problem with high reflections that my old Samsung plasma has? 

I didn't know that...but screen image quality and contrast is stunning.

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sadly the 77" sony is higher than my budget , also because of the way we watch and the reflections in a very light room oled is difficult, but i agree its a great picture
Personally, I would find a way of blocking out the light in the daytime for viewing as it sounds as though you'll struggle to get the best out of any TV otherwise. We do the same here sometimes and I believe it's worth doing if it means having the best picture possible. 

We bought a new 65" TV some months ago to replace an older Sony 55" LED. I spent about a week reading reviews and and tried to view some TV's in the shops. In the end, I chose a Panasonic OLED based on reviews,  features and a big factor was that I've always been impressed with Panasonic TV's when I've seen them in people's homes.

I've also been impressed with the picture quality of some Samsung, LG and Sony TV's when viewing in stotes, although I have found colours to be less natural on Sonys.

Something I do think to be important is to make sure a TV has the features you are likely to need for the next few years.  Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HDR, Dolby Atmos, ARC/eARC etc. If you use or intend to use Netflix, a lot of the content is in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos sound is common. Our TV has a Netflix app and Dolby Atmos can be sent out through the the ARC enabled HDMI socket to our Home Cinema for Dolby Atmos sound. Lack of broadband speed would possibly mean some of these features would not be accessible,  however.

I would spend time reading lots of reviews to understand what these various features are, which ones are,  or might be, important for you and which are possible/not possibly with slower internet.

A few review sites to start you off...

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-85-inch-tv

https://www.t3.com/features/best-80-inch-tv-and-bigger

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/80-82-85-inch

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-tv

Regards,

Gary

Reactions: stevebrown

stevebrown

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2016
Thanks all for the advice.

i bought the Sony 85" KD85XH9096, LED 4K and apart from being a bit reflective in the day i really couldn`t be happier, 3 minor tweaks to the setup, perfect picture.

Big Sony, OPPO 205UDP, ATC aslt ACM50s  actives, home cinema paradise and not bad for music either  :D

• Upvote
Reactions: newlash09

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been looking at TVs over the past year in case my 50" Plasma bites the dust.

My first choice is the Sony KDnnXH9505 as above (65" in my case), second choice is the normally more expensive Samsung QEnnQ90T, but now the Samsung as actually cheaper than the Sony.

These are both LED backlit LCD TVs, which I prefer over OLED for my use case. If reflections are a concern, the Samsung is probably the better bet, but the Sony movie picture and motion quality is better and it does have an anti reflection coating.

Two great youtube channels to watch are HDTV Test (Vincent Teoh) and Stop the FOMO.

timmytiger

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2013
Essex costa
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Watch out for the next phase of Gigabit rollout, i think it's coming soon and it subsidises service providers to connect you.

They received £1500 in subsidy for connecting us and we're now running 100x the speed we had from BT for the same subscription.

Streaming Spotify without buffering breaks is a real luxury and no probs on any TV signal yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles