Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Evening all,

Got my set up sounding great and to be honest there's not much reason to fiddle but I got an itch to buy some more kit, you know how it is!! So as the last thing I bought was a quantum line conditioner ( I doubted it but it works!) only thing I can think of is how about a Dac and it would help the streaming. The Astin Trew CD is a pretty decent bit of kit and I'm happy with it so wondering is there a dac that can bring a bit more out of it as well as from the streaming. Needs to have a USB and coaxial, Budget is anything under £1500 and happy to go second hand. The one dac that's stood out for me is the Jolida Glass but is it one set of valves too many? Maybe a used AN ?

Looking to get more soundstage...any suggestions much appreciated.

cheers

68rednose

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2013
Mainland Europe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd like to suggest a Metrum DAC, the Octave is now in MkII version, with (optional) USB.

Totals EUR 1074,58, that is approx GBP950.

Had the MKI, was very delighted with that one. Is now improved with better power supply and 192 kHz capability.

Not affiliated, just enjoying their gear.

Happy hunting,

Rudy

Edit: some notes here and some reactions/comments/suggestions that might interest you.

Lee Henley

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 10, 2010
Dudley, UK
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Ive had quite a few dacs ( CA Dacmagic, M2Tech Young, EE Minimax, Naim dac, Northstar Essentio, Audiolab CDQ, Metrum Octave) in my system over the past couple of years, I finally came across the Jolida Glass FX dac whilst doing a bit of internet surfing looking for a tube dac one sunday afternoon.

I managed to get hold of one for a home demo and brought it the next day. Several wammers who have heard my dac also brought one. The Jolida is a fantastic dac for the money and definatley one to try in your system, you may like it or you may not.

Lee

B

BD Audio

There was a Dac 2.1 for around £1500 recently in the classifieds here. Steal for the money!

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There was a Dac 2.1 for around £1500 recently in the classifieds here. Steal for the money!
Yeah please buy that so that I can stop thinking it :)

detroyt

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2011
Hi

This may sound a bit biased but I am selling a Weiss Dac 2 on private classified and I think this is a fantastic Dac I am amazed how good this sounds when you get good recordings even some MP3's sound great.

ATB

Barry

misterpete

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2007
N Yorks
AKA
Have a guess!
Heard the new Bushmaster is a piece of work, although dont think t has a usb..
just got one today, absolutely outstanding and ridiculous value, but you are right, no USB

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Fellas,

Thanks for all your suggestions I'll have a read on all of them. Didn't know the Metrum DAC so will have a look. Bushmaster looks very good value but no USB.

I saw that AN 2.1 and it was calling me but no USB although I presume I could add a port.

Hi Lee I think we might have pm'd about the Jolida before, where did you buy yours from? I can't seem to find a UK retailer.

Cheers

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Fellas,Thanks for all your suggestions I'll have a read on all of them. Didn't know the Metrum DAC so will have a look. Bushmaster looks very good value but no USB.

I saw that AN 2.1 and it was calling me but no USB although I presume I could add a port.

Hi Lee I think we might have pm'd about the Jolida before, where did you buy yours from? I can't seem to find a UK retailer.

Cheers
We have a Jolida dealer on here, Robert user name Open Door . Very good to deal with IME.

ThELiZ

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2010
Stroud
AKA
Adam
just got one today, absolutely outstanding and ridiculous value, but you are right, no USB
Agreed! I got mine yesterday. I can't see the need for anything else. Great price as well.

theadmans

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2007
Hertford, , United K
AKA
Adam
Yes I got my Bushmaster MKII about a week ago - it is very, very good indeed. A step beyound what was a very decent DAC the Bushmaster MKI (which I also own).

Folks over at the Art of Sound forum are saying the MKII betters both the Rega DAC and the MDAC. Stanley meanwhile has tested both a £3K Weiss and £1.6K Benchmark against the £200 Bushmaster and says "I have nothing to worry about out there on the market".

Shame about the missing USB but I believe Stanley is working on this for the future.

rockabillybass

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Folks over at the Art of Sound forum are saying the MKII betters both the Rega DAC and the MDAC. Stanley meanwhile has tested both a £3K Weiss and £1.6K Benchmark against the £200 Bushmaster and says "I have nothing to worry about out there on the market".
To paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies:

"Well he would say that, wouldn't he"..

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Indeed. Let's not bring the shill-fest from the Arse(lickers) of Sound here, please. :x

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
I have owned most of the ones mentioned and if squeezed on a budget the bushmaster is a star, above £1200 and things start to get a fair bit better from what I heard, I tried antelope AN wadia even a used Weiss but settled on the wadia, they do this digital game better than most. Give Donald at Musicarch a call think he has an ex dem one, all the connections you need remote and sounds as good as anything I have heard so far bar the £5 k Vaughan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles