• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Best way to get Spotify and HDD music to hifi. Computers given up :(

Borats Baby

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2006
Boredsville, , Unite
For many years I've enjoyed the simplicity of a PC tower stood next to the hifi bits and bobs with an upgraded sound card (M-Audio 2496) connected to my DAC via coaxial cable. The TV sits inbetween the speakers and acts as the monitor and a keyboard and mouse control the PC.

My PC is now dead, after being fixed MANY times by some very nice wammers !

There's obviously many solutions available, but here's the catch.. It must cost next to nothing. £40 is prolly MAX !

2nd hand stuff is obviously the way, but whats the simplist solution to this ? Would it be to simply buy another tower PC and crack on as I have been, or is there something else I could look at ?

Space is limited, the tower currently sits on the lounge floor next to the left speaker and is wired to the modem. The dac and amp sit in a tv unit with the tv on top. If theres a space saving idea that is cheap then all the better. Ultimately aswell I wouldn't want to loose any sound quality as I'm happy with it at the mo. I have a smart phone if that's a way forward as a controller or something.

Any help appreciated !

BB...

rockabillybass

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here's a cheap mini tower that will do it and give you 10 pence change out of your budget. :)

The only issue I can think of is that the Spotify software is slow and resource hungry. This machine should cope though. One other thing, silent PCs are better when sat with your hifi but will be beyond your budget I guess.

Ebay link

Borats Baby

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2006
Boredsville, , Unite
Hi Martin, Nice CD player !! I've had one of those along with many of the other variants. Belting machines, especially for the money !

I take on board your suggestion, but think I will prolly get more for my money 2nd hand. I guess the only solution to this is another tower pc and with that in mind I searched for stuff within 10 miles of me on eBay. I found THIS. Any good ?

rockabillybass

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it goes for less than 40 quid then it'll do fine. I doubt it would be quiet though, with four hard discs and the processor/gpu fans but if that doesn't bother you, it's got to be worth a punt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawuschel