tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Was just wondering what blue Ray music releases people rate, what’s about and what’s coming out. I’m enjoying the few I have but would like to broaden my library…

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Depends if you want audio only or live gigs with film.

The Home Invasion blu-ray from Steven Wilson is outstandingly good. That one is a live gig from The Royal Albert Hall.

Also the releases with Steven Wilson remixes tend to come out as CD/Blu-ray sets, containing hi-res versions of both the original mix and the Steven Wilson remix. Examples are those from Gentle Giant and Yes.

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depends if you want audio only or live gigs with film.

The Home Invasion blu-ray from Steven Wilson is outstandingly good. That one is a live gig from The Royal Albert Hall.

Also the releases with Steven Wilson remixes tend to come out as CD/Blu-ray sets, containing hi-res versions of both the original mix and the Steven Wilson remix. Examples are those from Gentle Giant and Yes.
Totally agree with the ‘Home Invasion’ recommendation. Talking Heads’ ‘Stop Making Sense’ Blu-ray is another good one, as is Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets Live at the Roundhouse Blu-ray. I can also recommend Muse-Live at Rome, and Rick Wakeman-Live at Hampton Court Palace, both are audio and visual delights on Blu-ray. The Blu-ray of Bob Dylan The 30th Anniversary Concert is a mixed bag, technically OK, but some poor performances from people who should know better, especially Bob Dylan! Don’t forget that some DVDs look and sound better when upscaled with a good Blu-ray player, the R30 dvd by Rush being a good example. Hope that helps 😀

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I mean as a visual as well as musical part.

The reason I started the thread was because I enjoyed stop making sense so much! Also have Hans Zimmer, John Williams, and dire straits. Would like s’more!

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

The reason I started the thread was because I enjoyed stop making sense so much! Also have Hans Zimmer, John Williams, and dire straits. Would like s’more!

Shpongle ‘Live at Red Rocks’ is real audio and visual treat, long in the tooth but Fleetwood Mac’s ‘The Dance’ is still great entertainment. Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart at the Beacon Theatre is very good and Peter Gabriel’s ‘Growing Up’ tour is brilliant.

Others - John Mayer ‘Where The Light Is’, Dave Gilmour ‘Live At Pompeii’, The tribute ‘Concert for George‘ is wonderful featuring both Harrison and Beatles songs. AC/DC ‘Live at The River Plate’ is a blast.

Here’s a link (American) with a whole host of very good recommendations to peruse https://htenthusiasts.com/blogs/news/the-very-best-music-concert-blu-ray-demo-blu-ray-discs

Reactions: tkimages

Linn-LP12

Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
On the Blu-ray Audio front Tears For Fears 'The Tipping Point' and xPropaganda 'The Heart Is Strange' are both highly recommended DTS 5.1 and Dolby Atmos. Both are released by SDE (Super Deluxe Edition). Tears For Fears is no longer available in the SDE shop but xPropaganda is currently.
I was very surprised and impressed with xPropagandas' album, both the Stereo and MC mix. This is currently my most played album, excellent.

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
BOZ SCAGGS Hits,live.

just a taster-the sound quality is better than CD, it seems to me.

Nice list, my Geordie chum! Though my wife threatened to move out if I bought the Quatsi Trilogy!
The Metheny stuff looks good.

Last edited:

glenhb

Glenhb
Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Doncaster
AKA
Glen Buddery
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A few of my favourite Blu-ray audio discs:-

Alan Parsons Project:-
Tales of Mystery & Imagination
Eye In The Sky
Ammonia Avenue

Although included in the Deluxe box sets I think the Blu-ray audio discs are
available separately.

Pink Floyd:-
Endless River

In Concert Blu-ray discs:-

Fleetwood Mac:-
The Dance

The Eagles:-
Farewell Tour 1
Live From the Forum MMXVIII

Lindsay Buckingham:-
Songs From The Small Machine

Billy Joel:-
Live From Shea Stadium

Heart:
Live At THe Royal Albert Hall

Alan Parsons:-
Live In Columbia

Reactions: TheFlash

glenhb

Glenhb
Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Doncaster
AKA
Glen Buddery
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's nothing in the above list I'd choose to listen to!
I agree, if it's not your type of listening pleasure it doesn't matter how it's presented (usually) but I don't understand the exclamation mark at the end of your comment. 😁

dalryc

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 4, 2016
Rahane
AKA
Craig

If you like Stop Making Sense try American Utopia by David Byrne.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles