Blu ray or another DVD player?

goomer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 22, 2007
Suffolk
My Pioneer DV-868Avi seems to have spontaneously given up the ghost, with the buttons no longer causing anything to happen except a slight juddering noise from within. I'm going to have a look inside the Pioneer later today, specifically at the mechanism which is I think the cause of the noise in case it is something simple that even I can fix, but I think I am looking at the possibility of replacing it outright.

So, do I get another DVD player (a s/hand Pioneer 989) or do I plump for one of these new fangled blu ray devices of which I have heard speak? TV is an HDMI equipped Pioneer plasma which is used exclusively for playback of spinning silver discs (no TV aerial connection to worry about), sound is at present provided by a Yamaha 5.1 amp into a mixture of 5 Epos and Acoustic Energy speakers. This system also acts as source of CD playback downstairs so gets used in 2 channel mode for a fair bit of the time and I have been contemplating dumping the surround sound entirely, and just replaying films via a Quad 44/405 that I have sitting idle. The question is therefore what blu ray players offer brilliant multi region DVD playback (I assume that is quite a lot of them) via HDMI, are excellent on CD/DVD/blu ray playback via their RCA phono outputs, and which are ideally silver in colour (to match the TV connection box)? Budget is as low as is realistically possible for comparable (though ideally better - I don't ask much...) performance to the 868Avi?

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
oppo all the way pick them up second hand for reasonable money too I actually sold my Audiolab cd player as I could not distinguish any difference in cd playback

goomer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 22, 2007
Suffolk
Oppo looks good but a bit more than I really want to spend at the moment, to be honest. I was hoping for nearer the £100.00 mark - don't mind s/hand and older but tried/tested technology.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Oppo looks good but a bit more than I really want to spend at the moment, to be honest. I was hoping for nearer the £100.00 mark - don't mind s/hand and older but tried/tested technology.
I picked up a minter Pioneer DV-LX50 here on the Wam over Christmas for £75 - super machine which would replace your model very capably, if you can find one.

:^

goomer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 22, 2007
Suffolk
I picked up a minter Pioneer DV-LX50 here on the Wam over Christmas for £75 - super machine which would replace your model very capably, if you can find one.
Thanks - that looks like the sort of thing, so will add to my search list. My 868 is definitely faulty beyond my limited repair abilities, unfortunately, so will stick a wanted ad up in the classifieds.

hcanning

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 30, 2013
Berkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see no reason not to take this opportunity to upgrade to Bluray, personally. I'd suggest a Panasonic BDT130 for about £75 as it's an excellent device but perhaps the analog 2ch phono outputs won't be quite as "sparkling" as an older high-end DVD unit. In reality with anything less than somewhat high-end hifi, you probably won't be able to detect any negative difference.

highfidelity

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2007
, ,
My Pioneer DV-868Avi seems to have spontaneously given up the ghost, with the buttons no longer causing anything to happen except a slight juddering noise from within. I'm going to have a look inside the Pioneer later today, specifically at the mechanism which is I think the cause of the noise in case it is something simple that even I can fix, but I think I am looking at the possibility of replacing it outright.So, do I get another DVD player (a s/hand Pioneer 989) or do I plump for one of these new fangled blu ray devices of which I have heard speak? TV is an HDMI equipped Pioneer plasma which is used exclusively for playback of spinning silver discs (no TV aerial connection to worry about), sound is at present provided by a Yamaha 5.1 amp into a mixture of 5 Epos and Acoustic Energy speakers. This system also acts as source of CD playback downstairs so gets used in 2 channel mode for a fair bit of the time and I have been contemplating dumping the surround sound entirely, and just replaying films via a Quad 44/405 that I have sitting idle. The question is therefore what blu ray players offer brilliant multi region DVD playback (I assume that is quite a lot of them) via HDMI, are excellent on CD/DVD/blu ray playback via their RCA phono outputs, and which are ideally silver in colour (to match the TV connection box)? Budget is as low as is realistically possible for comparable (though ideally better - I don't ask much...) performance to the 868Avi?
Best Buy IMO is the Sony BDP-S790

goomer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 22, 2007
Suffolk
Thanks, may well be picking one up later in the week. Does anyone know if the multi region DVD hacks for the Sony (where you program a learning remote with some special codes) actually work?

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good luck to all who meaninglessly prefer potentially superior BD to DVD etc.

Great video-film etc is great whatever the format.

Enjoy your choices.

goomer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 22, 2007
Suffolk
Right then. Have now picked up a BDP-S760 for £40.00 and have it connected as follows:

HDMI > TV;

Coaxial dig. out > Yamaha amp DVD input for movies (surround sound 'On' on the amp);

Stereo L/R analogue RCA > Yamaha amp CD input for music (no surround 'On').

Is there anything I need to do/check in the Sony menu to optimise things for stereo sound quality or if things are set to auto, can I assume that all should be okay?

C

Crazytrain

Might be worth checking which dac is better for stereo replay? The one in the sony or the yamaha.

highfidelity

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2007
, ,
Right then. Have now picked up a BDP-S760 for £40.00 and have it connected as follows:HDMI > TV;

Coaxial dig. out > Yamaha amp DVD input for movies (surround sound 'On' on the amp);

Stereo L/R analogue RCA > Yamaha amp CD input for music (no surround 'On').

Is there anything I need to do/check in the Sony menu to optimise things for stereo sound quality or if things are set to auto, can I assume that all should be okay?
Sounds best in mch connected by HDMI

roob

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 22, 2009
stoke-on-trent, ,
AKA
andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Best to connect to an AV amp using coax thats how I have my Sony BR player connected but it is only used for film duties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.