Wammer
Feb 12, 2017
Guernsey
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Phil,

I hope that encourages people to take the Boenicke plunge. Sven is happy to produce special finishes too - my W8s are in black ash to match my Hi Fi Racks stand.

I have had mine around six months now and they are getting better all the time, the bass will never match really big boxes but for imaging and transparency they are spectacular. They need a bit of oomph to sound their best, but the Modwright is not short in that department.

I can’t see me replacing them anytime soon.

And they have a huge WAF too - the W8 is actually smaller than my old Spendor S5e.

Richard

Reactions: hifinutt

Hi-FiOutlaw

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 7, 2014
Portugal - Lisbon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Richard, are we the only ones with this wonderful set of speakers ...? I got a pair of Boenicke W5 in OAK, got them this weekend....

The first time I came across Boenicke speakers was last year in 2017 Lisbon Audio Show, at the time a set of W11 were playing, felt In love right there 😍❤️ 

The built quality is impressive, and the nuances that this speaker can produce is quite remarkable, great sound stage ! 

For now will keep my actual amp as I don’t have the funds for a upgrade, but in a near future will demo a Primaluna Dialogue HP Premium. 

All the best

Richard A

Richard A
Wammer
Feb 12, 2017
Guernsey
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Hi Fi Outlaw,

Sorry no name on your WAMdetails. Glad you like the W5s. There are a couple of other Boenicke owners on the WAM, Maverick/Paul and Anthony/ Electric Cafe. We are all huge fans.

I place great importance on imaging and the Boenickes do this in spades. They like a pretty hefty amp to be at their best, thankfully my Modwright produces lots of current. 

Interesting you are in Lisbon, I will be in Cascais in early July. Any decent hi fi shops in the area?

Richard

Reactions: Hi-FiOutlaw

Hi-FiOutlaw

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 7, 2014
Portugal - Lisbon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Richard, I actually live closer to Cascais, in Carcavelos, a small villa with a great coast line. The only decent HI FI that I know it the area is in my house... lol 

I don’t know if you are into used vinyl, if yes, I can hook you up with two or tree really good stores, but all located in Lisbon. 

My Boenicke W5 are here for a week now, and I wasn’t expecting this kind of performance paired with my system. I can Rest In Peace... lol 

Richard A

Richard A
Wammer
Feb 12, 2017
Guernsey
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I do buy used vinyl. I am not sure I will have much time in Lisbon though. Maybe next time - I come to Estonia/Cascais every year. I love it!

Enjoy those W5!

All the best,

Richard

Hi-FiOutlaw

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 7, 2014
Portugal - Lisbon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Richard, have your self a nice trip, by the looks of it you must know the area really well. If you miss your system give me a call you can come over and have some Boenicke flavor ... 

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hi I 2nd the W8s, I have heard W5s in Elite's showroom and they are impressive indeed

if yours are a week old then there is a LOT more performance to come, give it 14 days initially (playing a lot if possible)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 7, 2014
Portugal - Lisbon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hi I 2nd the W8s, I have heard W5s in Elite's showroom and they are impressive indeed

if yours are a week old then there is a LOT more performance to come, give it 14 days initially (playing a lot if possible)
Hi Maverick, I did bought their demo unit, and I thought they were fully break in, but IMO they weren’t. They are a perfect match with my room and  system. Can’t stop playing music ! 😍🎼😍

Last edited by a moderator:

notevenclose

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 31, 2007
Perth, Scotland
AKA
Miles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pair of W5s here in sunny Scotland. Had mine since February 2016, when after a lot of agonising they replaced 10 grand's worth of Living Voice after a house/system resizing.

In absolute terms they're not as good as the RWs, but close enough that in the smaller room I don't really miss the LVs at all. Agree on the power thing, I've heard them sound very good with 47 Labs Lavardin, but my Job INTegrated is the best combination I've tried to date.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pair of W5s here in sunny Scotland. Had mine since February 2016, when after a lot of agonising they replaced 10 grand's worth of Living Voice after a house/system resizing.

In absolute terms they're not as good as the RWs, but close enough that in the smaller room I don't really miss the LVs at all. Agree on the power thing, I've heard them sound very good with 47 Labs Lavardin, but my Job INTegrated is the best combination I've tried to date.
since Sven says "up to 1000w for the W8s" my Meridian 556 simply wasn't man enough, I now have very upgraded MF A5 (as in 10kg heavier than std),

at the Keggie show we used a mate's monster J.Wood bespoke KT88 push/pull and that went very loud and very very deep, lots of grinning faces in the room

would interested to know if the W5s do that 'impossible' vertical imaging thing . .

notevenclose

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 31, 2007
Perth, Scotland
AKA
Miles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd be inclined to say yes. The Boenickes have overcome my long-held prejudice against small speakers, in that I previously always felt they largely dictated what kind of music could sound good on them, ie. sound brilliant on this, just a compressed mess on that... the W5s cope with pretty much everything.

It's also been quite educational - certainly out of my normal comfort zone - using relatively high powered amplification, since for the last 15 years or so 25w per side has been all that was needed.

The imaging is different to my LVs, but quite spectacular even in the dark when you can temporarily forget you can pick these things up in the palm of your hand. When I added the Job amp, after a few weeks I actually ended up moving the speakers even further apart.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The imaging is different to my LVs, but quite spectacular even in the dark when you can temporarily forget you can pick these things up in the palm of your hand. When I added the Job amp, after a few weeks I actually ended up moving the speakers even further apart.
ideal - as far apart as possible, Mark at Elite has them in a massive space, that's where I heard the W5s (he swapped out the W8s in the picture)

D18_3.jpg

Reactions: Mad4it

Hi-FiOutlaw

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 7, 2014
Portugal - Lisbon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
enjoy! welcome to the club

if Bowie is your thing try Hunky D, it will mess with your head
Hi Maverick, did listen to Bowie and loved it! Although not my everyday listening, so not much to compare it with. All my music library seems like new, it is incredible the abilities that this speakers have to ampliaste everything in the sound stage. Try yourself this ones, of you haven’t listen them already, Led Zepplin - Stairway to Even, Silent Lucidity - Queensrych and DCD full album Spiritchaser.

I love soooo muck this babies, that every time I pass near them I can’t contain myself form petting them.... lol

• Haha
Reactions: bigfool1956

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
 that every time I pass near them I can’t contain myself form petting them.... lol
Lol I know exactly what you mean,  some good choices there mate, tried some real well recorded female vocals? Another Boenicke user punted Tracy Chapman’s Crossroads (stunning), John Mayer’s Paperdoll and some of the recent acoustic recordings produced by Rick Rubin, e.g. Cash’s American Recordings, Neil Diamond etc - be prepared to find guitar players sat all over the place including way outside the speakers, yes I know it’s technically impossible but . . . 

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try this track Paul, a demo of diamonds on the soles of her shoes, a stripped down version with mainly just bass guitar and vocals.

Reactions: Weiss-Man

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1 hour ago, greybeard said:

Try this track Paul, a demo of diamonds on the soles of her shoes, a stripped down version with mainly just bass guitar and vocals.

Sadly I have no way to run YouTube through my system (at present), a quick search on Spotify turned up nowt, however it is on Tidal (I have a full sub) which is interesting - listed as “(Unreleased Version)(Alternate Versionj

try to find a duet of Version of Me with Kimbra & Dawn Richard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online