• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Boenicke

Bi Focal

Perpetually changing tuners
Wammer
Jul 2, 2011
West Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d also be interested to know what amplifiers are being used by other Boenicke owners on the forum

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I’d also be interested to know what amplifiers are being used by other Boenicke owners on the forum
I had Meridian 556 when I bought my W8, struggled a bit. Spent 6 months looking for a 557 (that IS a monster), none came up so bought the modded A5 and sold the. 556 and 501V pre.
As is the way - 557s were coming up every other week after that <sigh>

Last edited:

jobseeker

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2010
Madeira Island
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m just thinking of reinstating my W5SE and Mytek Brooklyn Amp as a tv sound system (I boxed them up when I bought Pathos Classic One Mk III and Audio Physic Tempo 35 for the main system). They’d only be four feet apart, just at either side of the screen, but it would be an interesting experiment.

Bi Focal

Wammer
Jul 2, 2011
West Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@jobseeker did you hear any other Boenicke models before buying W5SEs? Have you heard the SEs vs standard models? I’ve wondered how much improvement the SE variant makes across the board (I heard W8SE but not standard W8s, and heard W5 standard but not W5SE!)

Nothingface

Wammer
Jul 13, 2021
West Midlands
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had the W8SE about 4 years ago. Very impressed...even more so considering their size. Unfortunately one developed a buzzing emanating from the tweeter when subjected to low end...really annoying. I would have had them replaced but it dissuaded me & I moved to Audio Physic.

jobseeker

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2010
Madeira Island
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@jobseeker did you hear any other Boenicke models before buying W5SEs? Have you heard the SEs vs standard models? I’ve wondered how much improvement the SE variant makes across the board (I heard W8SE but not standard W8s, and heard W5 standard but not W5SE!)
I bought them completely blind, though with a return option obviously, so I didn’t make any comparisons with other Boenicke. I was going to sell them, but the market here in Madeira is not like the UK. Mind you, they’re small enough to travel as hand luggage :):)

Reactions: Maverick

Duckworp

Duckworp
Wammer
Mar 12, 2017
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You just need to hear a pair in your own home. I know, I know, in some ways that’s the least helpful most predictable thing anyone can say on a hifi forum… but it could also save you from a hugely expensive mistake, so there really is only one way to find out. Would you really consider blowing an extra £4,000+ on the basis of anything we or a reviewer say? I’m calling this out as questionable for that £:
  • Added electromechanical parallel resonator to bass-midrange.
  • Added Bybee Quantum Purifiers.
  • Added proprietary phase linearization network.
If you read between the lines of my earlier post you’ll perhaps work out that, while I qualify as a bona fide Boenicke owner, it was for a record-breaking less-than-one-month. Another wammer is now enjoying mine immensely!
If you really need to scratch the itch, buy used and if they turn out to not be for you then you’ll get all or most of your money back.

I can say with absolute confidence that if you auditioned Boenicke W8 or W8SE, with any integrated or power amp of your choice, vs ATC SCM40A with 6 integral power amps, you’d buy the ATC’s. Prove me wrong!
My friend, literally around the corner, has the ATC SCM40A and I can categorically say that in my room I much prefer the sound of the Boenicke! He brought them around one day and they were good, but in my room nowhere near the Boenicke W13 nor even the W5. Horses for courses.

Duckworp

Duckworp
Wammer
Mar 12, 2017
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Because Boenicke speakers are pretty rare, and even rarer secondhand, I can’t find anyone (apart from dealers who have a vested interest) that has actually heard either:

W5 vs W8 vs W11
or either of these variants as standard version vs SE

anyone out there with first hand experience to share?

I ask because I heard W8SE at the Ascot show and thought they sounded amazing (didn’t check what source and amp they used) but I’ve no idea what drop in sound quality you get with standard W8 (much cheaper)

Then there’s the potential comparison of an SE version of W8 vs a standard version of W11 - which sounds better and in which ways?

Finally it seems impossible to find the frequency responses for each model - the lowest Hz for each. Anyone know where to find this? It’s not on the Boenicke website and I haven’t seen it in reviews
I have some W5 and W5 SE+. They have a similar sound signature to each other but the SE+ offer something more 'special'. It is hard to describe the difference without sounding like a hifi magazine reviewer, but in basic terms they have better timbre, better holographic imaging, a sharper sense of timing, and generally sound better. Having said that, the basic W5 is still amazing and amongst the best speakers I have heard.

Reactions: HouseElf

Duckworp

Duckworp
Wammer
Mar 12, 2017
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve read as many reviews of Boenicke as I can find but not comparisons of one model / variant against another

Something else a bit odd is that most reviews barely mention the music they are playing. You read references to the accuracy of an instrument of a vocal but I’ve not read anything about how they cope with rock/dance/pop. When I heard W8SE at a Hifi show it was fairly MoR music from what I recall…..

So do/can they rock??

I have the W5 and the W13 and demoed the W8. Believe me they all can rock big time. Last night I was playing one of Neil Young's rockier affairs through the W13s (Ragged Glory) and if you closed your eyes you could have been at a live show, it is quite extraordinary.

Duckworp

Duckworp
Wammer
Mar 12, 2017
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have Vitus amplification (200W) for the W13s, Trilogy (125W) for one pair of W5s and Gold Note (150W) for another W5. All cope with ease to run the Boenicke. I did notice a better grip on the music at loud volumes when I moved the W13s from 125W of Vitus amplification up to 200W. However, the 200W amp is known as a real grippy amp so I am not sure if it simply the amp or the Boenicke liking the extra wattage at loud volumes.

TheFlash

Inactive
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My friend, literally around the corner, has the ATC SCM40A and I can categorically say that in my room I much prefer the sound of the Boenicke! He brought them around one day and they were good, but in my room nowhere near the Boenicke W13 nor even the W5. Horses for courses.
We can definitely chalk that one up as another tick for the Wam’s diversity! 😊

Bi Focal

Wammer
Jul 2, 2011
West Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Duckworp that is some collection of Boenicke’s you have!

Interesting comments re the SE version of the W5s. What I don’t get is how an SE version can cost a large % more than the standard version. They can’t be that much better can they? Do the W5 SEs sound better than the W8 (as there isn’t much difference price wise)?

Thanks for all your responses - very informative

HouseElf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Duckworp that is some collection of Boenicke’s you have!

Interesting comments re the SE version of the W5s. What I don’t get is how an SE version can cost a large % more than the standard version. They can’t be that much better can they? Do the W5 SEs sound better than the W8 (as there isn’t much difference price wise)?

Thanks for all your responses - very informative
When I enquired quite a while ago apparently some of the extra cost is taken up by the extra time it takes for the speakers to be built with the upgrades.

Lawrence001

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I enquired quite a while ago apparently some of the extra cost is taken up by the extra time it takes for the speakers to be built with the upgrades.
That wouldn't make sense if it was just using better drive units or crossover components. Do the cabinets have a more complex internal structure?

Bi Focal

Wammer
Jul 2, 2011
West Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm certain they are the same structure. See this weblink https://boenicke-audio.ch/products/loudspeakers/w5/

If you scroll right a few screens you can open a window on the left hand side that describes the enhanced versions (I've copied it below).

Standard Version​

• 5″ long throw (X-max = 9,25mm) bass driver, tuned to 50 Hz, no crossover
  • 3″ widebander made to spec, 1st order high pass filter, unique electromechanical 8-cm parallel spiral resonator installed
  • Internal wiring orientation-optimised silk-wrapped high-frequency stranded litz
  • WBT NextGen binding posts
  • Rear ambient tweeter

SE Version​

• 8-cm spiral resonator installed at widebander and bass driver
  • Mundorf Silver-Gold-Oil capacitor for widebander, added Duelund Tinned Copper Foil 0.01 uF bypass capacitor
  • Harmonisation included

SE+ Version​

• 8-cm spiral / 2 cm straight resonator installed at widebander and bass driver both parallel and in series
  • Mundorf Silver-Gold-Oil capacitor for widebander, added Duelund Tinned Copper Foil 0.01 uF bypass capacitor
  • Harmonix RF-5700 tuning bases at widebander’s magnet
  • Added proprietary acoustic phase linearisation network
  • Harmonisation included

Reactions: hifinutt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdak02