• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Bottlehead Paramour II

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Picked up a parcel today and paid the import duty, VAT and fees and inside was -

ParaII_p1.jpg

So tonight I'll glue together the bases, do the itemised check off/measure/sortof all the parts and start polishing the tops. Then print off and settle down with the manual for some bed time reading.

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
kennyk wrote:

looks nice.will you be doing building blog thread?
smile.png

just had a look at their site. have to say, I rather liked some of the pictures...
wink.png

http://www.bottlehead.com/
Yes, I'll put something together over the build

As for their site, would that be the kits or Eileen you're referring to?

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bases are now glued and sanding these will start tomorrow evening. The use of the cheap frame clamps ensures pressure is applied evenly and the laser cut top plate is used to check that the base is square.

IMG_6038.jpg

Now I'm going to start the rather long job of polishing the top plates as I quite fancy trying for a near mirror finish this time. Now the only question is whether or not to go for mirror handed pair. This needs to be decided before I start polishing the second plate as effectively it means building (and interpreting the instructions) for one unit in reverse.

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So that's the start of the process and as guide this is what they should look like by the end of the process (photo from the Bottlehead site)

paramourII.jpg

At present still just polishing the first top plate - unfortunately, unlike the previous kits these plate exhibit quite a bit of machining marks. This wouldn't be a problem if they were to be painted, but I like the plain alloy finish. So I guess it just going to be lots of elbow grease for a few days. I do have a bench grinder with polishing mops mounted, but even the fine mops are too aggressive for soft alloy, so only get used after the initial course wet & dry (120 grade) rub down. Then its successively 240, 400, 600 and 1000 grade. But it looks as thoughgetting a really deep shine is not going to be on the cards, as I don't think I've got the patience:(

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Looks great! If it was me, I would never have the patience to do it so systematically well like you... it'll be all over in 2-3 days
tongue.png

I'm still hoping to go into SETs proper one of these days when I stop having to move around so much... hope to hear these at the bake-off
wink.png

JJ

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Polishing the top plates is taking far more effort than initially anticipated. About a third done so far. Bases have now had mounting points added to secure the top plate as opposed to the usual 'gravity hold down' method usually favoured!

plate_base.jpg

Had to install various bit of hardware to ensure nothing would foul the brackets. These will be drilled and tapped later, when I decide on which type of bolt to use. I usually favour stainless allen headed bolts. if I go with the supplied bolts then I'll probably just use self-tapping screws.

Setting Son

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 10, 2006
W Yorks.
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll be watching this with much interest, Paul, as I'm sure you knew I would be!

Are you going with the mirror imaged pair?

Rgds,

Lee

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Setting Son wrote:

I'll be watching this with much interest, Paul, as I'm sure you knew I would be!Are you going with the mirror imaged pair?

Rgds,

Lee
No, I decided against it in the end - I'm easily confused, so thought I'd keep it as simple as possible
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Setting Son wrote:

Sounds wise to me.Finished 'em yet?
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif
No still polishing :(these plates really are bad and I'm thinking of putting the job on hold as Eileen has offered replacements, just emailed to ask how long it might take. To try and give an idea of the condition;

TP_top.jpg

the one behind has had about 7 hours manual labour
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

On a positive note, I've cleaned and sprayed the transformer bell ends, but won't be able to judge the finish until tomorrow night as its a slow cure paint. Also visited the local nut and bolt shop and bought a complete replacement set of stainless steel allen head bolts for the kit, as I feel these always look much better.

Setting Son

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 10, 2006
W Yorks.
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bead blasting would produce an excellent finish, if you can find anyone to do it locally, but I'd say you're due replacements looking at that one!! I hope the one I get for the Seduction is better quality. I have to agree about the bolts. Never understood why manufacturers use pozi head screws when they are on show.

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
enjoy_the_music wrote:

Always been interested by the Bottlehead equipment, seems really nice VFM. Whats the output on those 2A3's?huh huh huh...you said 'bell ends'
3 to 3-1/2 watts of music!

By bell ends I mean the transformer covers, most kits give you chrome of course, but with a Bottlehead kit you decide - or rust is of course an option.

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Setting Son wrote:

Bead blasting would produce an excellent finish, if you can find anyone to do it locally, but I'd say you're due replacements looking at that one!! I hope the one I get for the Seduction is better quality. I have to agree about the bolts. Never understood why manufacturers use pozi head screws when they are on show.
Yes,I can get the plates beaded, polished, chromed, anodized, powder coated...the options locally are almost endless - but I would like to do everything myself if at all possible, pride in 'I did all that'(and keep the cost to a minimum of course). If I was going to go for a factored finish it would probablybe chrome plated. Easiest option would be some good old Hammerite - charcoal looks good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx