• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Bought some valves - have no idea what to do with them...

budgetblown

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2009
Cardiff, UK
AKA
Leigh
Hi all.

I bought a box of mixed stuff at a car boot sale - mainly for one collectible toy that I spotted. Going through the box, I found valves!

What I've ended up with as a bonus is:

6 x Chatham Electronics 5R4WGA

1 x E-1006 OK Electronics Nutley, NJ E-1006

1 x Quad G.Z34

If anyone can give me any idea of whether these have any audio applications (I know the quad valve is used in the Quad II Classic), but past that, I have no idea. I'm trying to build a stake to start a business, so advice on where to sell these valves and for how much would be appreciated. Please don't post offers - if I do sell here (and I'd rather sell here than anywhere else) I'll do it by posting a for sale ad in accordance with forum rules. For now, I just need some help and advice from more experienced heads than mine.

Valvebloke

Wammer
Dec 3, 2009
Didcot, Oxon
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can check out what type of valves these are by looking up the datasheets here http://frank.pocnet.net/. Then you can find out what they're worth by checking Completed Listings on eBay (unless they're particularly unusual). Their value will be strongly affected by condition. The more good news you can give the buyer, the more you'll raise. So if you can find out whether they work, and if they do how well, and if there's any evidence that they're unused then you'll add value. In this case the 5R4WGAs are rather nice rectifiers, but not very sexy looking, which depresses their value I'm afraid. The GZ34 is a nice valve but I'm assuming it's a re-branded relatively modern Russian or Chinese 5AR4, in which case it won't be worth a great deal. If by any chance it's somehow a Philips/Mullard one (see if you can see two rows of small characters apparently etched into the glass, the second row starting with a capital B) then it'll be worth more.

I've never heard of an E-1006 I'm afraid, and nor has Google. I suspect that that isn't the valve type but some other coding (maybe for the production date or the factory/batch number). Sadly the printing on valves easily rubs off. Can you post a pic of it ?

EDIT Actually if it looks a bit like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Pcs-THERMAL-RELAY-EC-2104-OK-ELECTRONICS-NUTLEY-N-J-TUBES-/200840733195 then it's probably not a valve at all but a thermal relay in a glass tube. I'm afraid these aren't precious things.

VB

budgetblown

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2009
Cardiff, UK
AKA
Leigh
Thank you for the advice, VB. So if I was to put these up for sale in the forum for £10 the lot plus post - and that last item IS a thermal relay, by the way - do you think this would be reasonable? The rectifiers normally cost £6-8 each. Information on value of the Quad valve eluded me last night (but I was terribly, terribly... tired).

Valvebloke

Wammer
Dec 3, 2009
Didcot, Oxon
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hard to advise on price since condition is unknown. But 6 working 5R4WGAs would be worth a fair bit more than that. It'll boil down to the risk people are prepared to take.

VB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kinchitshaw