Boxes and things

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Recently, as in this week I have just got a Copland CSA 28 from Flebay.
Prior to that I bought, from this very boutique, an Esoteric CD/DVD player.
My box and wire count is now a very healthy 4 boxes, and only 14 wires.
In my impetuous yoof (30's actually!), the box count was an unfathomable 11 with 31 wires!

What's your worse? At it's worse my amplifier was 7 boxes with 3 of those being PSU's.

Last edited:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha. Hahahahaha.

Currently... Power amp, preamp, power supply for preamp, two phono stages, two power supplies for phono stages, MC step-up transformer, DAC, power supply for DAC, second DAC, turntable, turntable power filter box, second turntable, CD player used as transport, Micromega transport, Bluesound streamer, power supply for Bluesound steamer, and power supply for turntable lamp (no grotty USB power plugs, thank you). And of course, two speakers and a sub. Wire count? Don't even go there.

That's the 'running' system. There's also a few spares of most things, just in case. Not to mention a workshop full of half-finished bits and pieces and a garage overflowing with spares, old amps, and 'get round to it' stuff.

Hobby, or mental issue? Not sure.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha. Hahahahaha.

Currently... Power amp, preamp, power supply for preamp, two phono stages, two power supplies for phono stages, MC step-up transformer, DAC, power supply for DAC, second DAC, turntable, turntable power filter box, second turntable, CD player used as transport, Micromega transport, Bluesound streamer, power supply for Bluesound steamer, and power supply for turntable lamp (no grotty USB power plugs, thank you). And of course, two speakers and a sub. Wire count? Don't even go there.

That's the 'running' system. There's also a few spares of most things, just in case. Not to mention a workshop full of half-finished bits and pieces and a garage overflowing with spares, old amps, and 'get round to it' stuff.

I thought I was mad or bad, but I see now I am not even trying. I have 5 retired things in the garage I'm toying with selling, and my AI 500 that may also be sold. Not a hoarder me!

rab1991

Wammer
Jul 11, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If we class speakers as boxes at the last count i think it was about 20 pairs. my actual set up only uses 3 boxes dac, pre and power amp. how many boxes of electronics i own i actually don't know

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If we class speakers as boxes at the last count i think it was about 20 pairs. my actual set up only uses 3 boxes dac, pre and power amp. how many boxes of electronics i own i actually don't know
wasn't including speakers in my count, just electronics, which then means actives count, never had any, not being purist about it just inquisitive on box count. My many box amp rig drove me nuts, Second Audios and Border Patrol PSU's. I was never sure I actually liked it. Cannot remember what I went to after that, I think it was a Consonance integrated.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha. Hahahahaha.

I think this could have been summed up with the one word "overkill". 🤣

Quite a straightforward setup here - 9 components (including speakers and PSU), 7 cables (singles or pairs) carrying some variety of audio signal and 9 power cables. I'm an amateur at this!

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmm.
17 boxes
14 power cords
2 umbilical
5 pairs IC
2 digital
1 optical
1 SC
2 earth (TT)

Reactions: Nativebon and DomT

Ceko

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
Zuid Holland, NL
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow. 6 boxes here and I actually find that too much. It’s the bare minimum though!

Are you counting network switches etc too?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow. 6 boxes here and I actually find that too much. It’s the bare minimum though!

Nah. My list is just the suff actually on the racks and plumbed in. I really must try harder.

• Haha
Reactions: DomT

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Can't speak for others but I didn't, no. I stopped at boxes that actually make sound and the wires that connect them

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Recently, as in this week I have just got a Copland CSA 28 from Flebay.
Prior to that I bought, from this very boutique, an Esoteric CD/DVD player.
My box and wire count is now a very healthy 4 boxes, and only 14 wires.
In my impetuous yoof (30's actually!), the box count was an unfathomable 11 with 31 wires!

What's your worse? At it's worse my amplifier was 7 boxes with 3 of those being PSU's.

I use an off-the-shelf Mac mini instead of a dedicated streamer for three reasons:

• iTunes/Music - for me the best music browser
• HQPlayer - for me the best upsampling software
• value-for-money - I use Macs professionally so I can regularly earn a laptop or desktop which has been upgraded, and a used computer is a lot cheaper than a decent streamer, has more flexibility and a lot more processing power (a must if you use HQPlayer)

It possible to do internet-streaming over Wi-Fi with just a single streamer-DAC, or just one-box.
Some streamers may even have enough storage for a generously-sized library allowing for one-box local-streaming.

My local-streaming system is comprised of the following boxes 🤦‍♂️:

1. control computer - a laptop which controls the processing computer
2. processing computer - a desktop running iTunes/Music and HQPlayer which upconverts, filters and applies DRC EQ to the files
3. external SSD drive - stores the files (have used a NAS in the past)
4. network bridge - endpoint which buffers the stream and connects to the DAC, and prevents noise/interference from reaching the DAC
5. network bridge power supply
6. DAC
7. switch - helps prevent noise/interference from reaching the DAC
8. router - this one is optional, but I have a wired-only business router which I use for my audio network because I cannot get a wire from the switch to the Vodafone Wi-Fi router which connects to the internet.

Number 8, the router, is soon to be replaced by a Wi-Fi extender which will allow me to connect my system to the internet if I wish to. I am still considering whether or not to allow the family to stream Spotify into the system... 😨

Edit: remaining boxes are

9. integrated amplifier
10. integrated amplifier power supply
11. speakers

plus 3 ethernet cables, 1 USB cable, 1 pair L+R of single-ended IC cables, 1 pair L+R of speaker cables

Last edited:

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At it's "worst" it was

PSU to TT
Phono stage
TT
PSU to pre amp
pre amp
PSU x 2 to power amps
mono power amps
CD player
tuner

It occupied about 1.2x1.3 of a 3.2 x 4m room, about 12 % of the floor space.
Turning it on was so complicated my OH couldn't work it.
Mind you if anything is more complicated than a spoon she is flummoxed.

One morning I took one look at it, thought to myself that is stupid and ripped it all out and sold it.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use an off-the-shelf Mac mini instead of a dedicated streamer for three reasons:

• value-for-money - I use Macs professionally so I can regularly earn a laptop or desktop which has been upgraded, and a used computer is a lot cheaper than a decent streamer, has more flexibility and a lot more processing power (a must if you use HQPlayer)

It possible to do internet-streaming over Wi-Fi with just a single streamer-DAC, or just one-box.
Some streamers may even have enough storage for a generously-sized library allowing for one-box local-streaming.

2. processing computer - a desktop running iTunes/Music and HQPlayer which upconverts, filters and applies DRC EQ to the files
4. network bridge - endpoint which buffers the stream and connects to the DAC, and prevents noise/interference from reaching the DAC
6. DAC
8. router - this one is optional, but I have a wired-only business router which I use for my audio network because I cannot get a wire from the switch to the Vodafone Wi-Fi router which connects to the internet.

Number 8, the router, is soon to be replaced by a Wi-Fi extender which will allow me to connect my system to the internet if I wish to. I am still considering whether or not to allow the family to stream Spotify into the system... 😨

9. integrated amplifier
11. speakers

plus 3 ethernet cables, 1 USB cable, 1 pair L+R of single-ended IC cables, 1 pair L+R of speaker cables
I have to say being a technophobe, and not using anything but vinyl and CD, I don't even know what half of that is!
Are you sure that is hifi and not something controlling Heathrow.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha. Hahahahaha.

With your electronics wizardry I reckon you’re tapped into the next door neighbour’s power supply meter .

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have to say being a technophobe, and not using anything but vinyl and CD, I don't even know what half of that is!
Are you sure that is hifi and not something controlling Heathrow.
I lost the gist of it after line 2

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

6. DAC

9. integrated amplifier
11. speakers

Makes a record player look remarkably simple
;)

(sorry @tuga, just kidding)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles