Bryston BP25+ 4B SST

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
Hi guys, how would this compare to the Tri Vista? I am not looking at it as an upgrade as such but just fancy trying a different brand and achieving better synergy...

I have had a very mixed first 3 days with the Tri Vista so far which has made it very difficult to decide whether to keep it or not. There are some aspects of it that are really top notch but i find myself analysing the hifi rather than enjoy the music. I don't think they are a good match for my B&W's which do enjoy a warm and smooth amp.

What does impress me is the bass and how controlled it is, with dance music it sounds incredible. Switch to rcok that requires plenty of thwack and it delivers the mid bass in a superb crisp manner but the really deep kick drum sounds too lean-this is where an amp with a slight bass bloom fares better and creates a more organic feel. Plucked double bass in blue's tracks sound nice and controlledas does acoustic stuff which is so open you can hear each string resonating from the guitar. The top end is hyperdetailed but never harsh. However i think this is an amp for bigger rooms;i can tell my room is holding the soundstage back and the imaging will be far more accurate if i sat further back(if the wall wasn't there...)i find that i can't play it too loud as theres too much detail and i am not enjoying the music...

Obviously you can't expect any hifi componant to just fit into a system, with an amp like this you need to build a system around it. I think with some neutral speakers and a better cd player this amp would sing but i am not in the position at the moment to cater for that financially.

That brings me back to my original question, how does the Bryston combo sound?

What other amp combo's are there around the £2k mark that will suit the balance of the B&W's.

I need something that is fairly open but not so much so that it highlights all the shortcomings of my cd's! I want sweet unfatiging highs, clear vocals and tight bass with some colouration to it which i enjoy:)Abit like my old a308 integrated actually! However i would like a slightly tauter bass performance-i felt that it couldn't quite grab hold of the really deep bass lines. So something inbetweent eh Tri Vista's ultra tight bass and the 308's slightly too loose if that makes sense:?

Cheers

Ultra

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
ultrasonic wrote:

Hi guys, how would this compare to the Tri Vista? I am not looking at it as an upgrade as such but just fancy trying a different brand and achieving better synergy...I have had a very mixed first 3 days with the Tri Vista so far which has made it very difficult to decide whether to keep it or not. There are some aspects of it that are really top notch but i find myself analysing the hifi rather than enjoy the music. I don't think they are a good match for my B&W's which do enjoy a warm and smooth amp.

What does impress me is the bass and how controlled it is, with dance music it sounds incredible. Switch to rcok that requires plenty of thwack and it delivers the mid bass in a superb crisp manner but the really deep kick drum sounds too lean-this is where an amp with a slight bass bloom fares better and creates a more organic feel. Plucked double bass in blue's tracks sound nice and controlledas does acoustic stuff which is so open you can hear each string resonating from the guitar. The top end is hyperdetailed but never harsh. However i think this is an amp for bigger rooms;i can tell my room is holding the soundstage back and the imaging will be far more accurate if i sat further back(if the wall wasn't there...)i find that i can't play it too loud as theres too much detail and i am not enjoying the music...

Obviously you can't expect any hifi componant to just fit into a system, with an amp like this you need to build a system around it. I think with some neutral speakers and a better cd player this amp would sing but i am not in the position at the moment to cater for that financially.

That brings me back to my original question, how does the Bryston combo sound?

What other amp combo's are there around the £2k mark that will suit the balance of the B&W's.

I need something that is fairly open but not so much so that it highlights all the shortcomings of my cd's! I want sweet unfatiging highs, clear vocals and tight bass with some colouration to it which i enjoy:)Abit like my old a308 integrated actually! However i would like a slightly tauter bass performance-i felt that it couldn't quite grab hold of the really deep bass lines. So something inbetweent eh Tri Vista's ultra tight bass and the 308's slightly too loose if that makes sense:?

Cheers

Ultra
How about trying one of Bicky's Pre/Power combos?

G

There's nothing wrong with bass you're hearing. The bass the tri -vista produces is plenty low but it also taut and tight and not some big slab of low end sound. Too get really deep cavenous baas you need bigger woofers . Its as simple as that .

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It sounds to me like you are now revealing the limitations of your speakers.

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
This is one frustrating and expensive hobby:cs:

So now i need to change speakers? That is a tempting prospect, its usually the most fun!

Hmmm yeah 308 pre power does seem logical...

42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure if this would be a sideways move. Sound wise I've always found the Brystons quite analytical, not surprising given their a pro audio company. I've also read that some people find the treble on them a bit overbearing.

The build quality is excellent and they have power in spades so should drive nasty loads but think you may find them a little unforgiving, which is fine if you want that sort of thing but from what you are complaining about the tri-vista can't help but feel you may have the same complaints about the Bryston.

How about a nice Sugden, Lavardin or may be Advantage. Not sure if these would struggle with the B&W speakers but all are very musical and engaging.

I've also heard SimAudio gear matched very successfully with B&W speakers as well.

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
Griffo, Sim audio as in Moon? I do really, really like the looks of their kit, especially the Andromeda cdp:shock:
pray.gif.84955f3b1709939cd9186fd2e3d88a8e.gif
:love:one day...

What about Primare and Copland? Maybe even Myryad?

Cheers

G

ultrasonic wrote:

This is one frustrating and expensive hobby:cs:So now i need to change speakers? That is a tempting prospect, its usually the most fun!

Hmmm yeah 308 pre power does seem logical...

42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif
The Ti-vista is 300 watts a side so grip is actually at the moment is what you are hearing plenty of Ultra

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ultrasonic wrote:

Griffo, Sim audio as in Moon? I do really, really like the looks of their kit, especially the Andromeda cdp:shock:
pray.gif.84955f3b1709939cd9186fd2e3d88a8e.gif
:love:one day...What about Primare and Copland? Maybe even Myryad?

Cheers
Yep - as in Moon - very good kit. Heard a demo with some of the big B&W speakers not that long ago and it was very impressive.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't B&W speakers like it up'em?.... so decently powerful amp required. But also sounds like you need more refinement.

Possibly North American Class A muscle required - Krell, Pass, Classe or Bel Canto Evo? I think the Bryston could be a bit grey sounding by comparison.

I have to say that I've not enjoyed anything by musical fidelity fora very long time. I can't understand why people are so loyal to it.

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
Middlesbrough, Cleve
Ultra, hi,

have you seen the Qinpu 8000A mkII? It is about £1300 I think - but if its the same performace:pound ratio as the A-1.0X, which according to reviews it is, then you're onto a winner - whether or not its a good match for your other components I cant say, but it is apparently a natural sounding amp if that helps.

If you do a google search, and look for shadowdistribution, theres loads of info on it including 3 reviews. I would take the time to have a look.

30-day money back guarantee too, its not a great risk.

Word of warning - the styling is totally different to you MF gear:shock:. I personally think it looks pretty cool.

It may be worth contacting Mark at Shadow Audio - hes very helpful and will tell you all about it.

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
rwi,

yes, they are very nice chaps at Shadow indeed, been on the phone to them quite afew times:)

However, the styling of the Qinpu really puts me off:p

They do have amean Krell KAV500il but i've been told it sounds pretty awful in comparison to the Tri Vista? That was coming from a salesman! Shows how genuine those guys at Shadow are:^

Cheers

Ultra

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
Middlesbrough, Cleve
ultrasonic wrote:

rwi,yes, they are very nice chaps at Shadow indeed, been on the phone to them quite afew times:)

They do have amean Krell KAV500il but i've been told it sounds pretty awful in comparison to the Tri Vista? That was coming from a salesman! Shows how genuine those guys at Shadow are:^

Cheers

Ultra
Fair do's.

Its a shame really - meant to be a killer amp

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
Testure wrote:

How about trying one of Bicky's Pre/Power combos?
the man talks sense
wink.png
tongue.png
biggrin.png

seriously though - If you fancy coming and having a listen you are more than welcome. Both the Rotel and the Technics offer a very different presentation to your average hifi
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
roll_with_it wrote:

ultrasonic wrote:
rwi,yes, they are very nice chaps at Shadow indeed, been on the phone to them quite afew times:)

Cheers

Ultra
Fair do's.

I came across the Qinpu amps the other day while looking at the shadow audio website. I have to say the £300 integrated is very tempting to put in my second system, just what I'm looking for.

May be after pay day and after car mot/service IF I have anything left the damn car I may treat myself to this.

Ultra - I think you will find a lot of the Amercian gear sounds similar to MF, always felt they have tried to move into that direction with a lot of their more recent gear. As mentioned in an earlier post above I also find it very difficult what MF have such a loyal following but that's just me I suppose. It seems a lot of the MF guys around here are continually looking to upgrade their MF gear to ..... other MF gear :Not Sure:

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
Middlesbrough, Cleve
griffo104 wrote:

roll_with_it wrote:
ultrasonic wrote:

Cheers

Ultra
Fair do's.

I came across the Qinpu amps the other day while looking at the shadow audio website. I have to say the £300 integrated is very tempting to put in my second system, just what I'm looking for.

May be after pay day and after car mot/service IF I have anything left the damn car I may treat myself to this.

Ultra - I think you will find a lot of the Amercian gear sounds similar to MF, always felt they have tried to move into that direction with a lot of their more recent gear. As mentioned in an earlier post above I also find it very difficult what MF have such a loyal following but that's just me I suppose. It seems a lot of the MF guys around here are continually looking to upgrade their MF gear to ..... other MF gear :Not Sure:
Hi Griffo, thats the one I have (this is why I need your cable!) - depending on what the rest of your system is, theresa good chance you might use it in your main system.

Trust me, its an ABSOLUTE bargain:shock:.

T.white

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 31, 2005
South Wales, , Unite
roll_with_it wrote:

griffo104 wrote:
roll_with_it wrote:
ultrasonic wrote:

Cheers

Ultra
Fair do's.

Hi Griffo, thats the one I have (this is why I need your cable!) - depending on what the rest of your system is, theresa good chance you might use it in your main system.

Trust me, its an ABSOLUTE bargain:shock:.
I'll second that Roll_with_it,
biggrin.png

I've got th A1.0x and use it to drive a pair of GB1s which it does with some ease. Problem for me at the moment is the wait I've got to see if my God damn cdp will read the disc I stick in it.
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif

It's really pissin me off lately. (my cdp that is)

The Qinpu is a crackin amp!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles