Budget Loudspeakers maxed out ?

ANADROL-50

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2021
Has anybody attended a demonstration where entry level loudspeakers, e.g stand mounts at £500 a pair, have been partnered with £50k+ worth of electronics just to show what they are actually capable of doing ?

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Slightly more expensive Spendor A7s on the end of over £100Ks worth of Boulder and Nagra equipment that was set up to demo some £40k speakers. The A7s sounded superb but as it’s the only time I’ve heard them I have no reference.

Cheers BB

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has anybody attended a demonstration where entry level loudspeakers, e.g stand mounts at £500 a pair, have been partnered with £50k+ worth of electronics just to show what they are actually capable of doing ?
That would be enlightening, but I suspect better sound would come from £500 worth of electronics partnered with £50K speakers.

ANADROL-50

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2021
That would be enlightening, but I suspect better sound would come from £500 worth of electronics partnered with £50K speakers.
Would that be because "diminishing returns" sets in earlier with electronics rather than with loudspeakers ?

PeteVid

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
South East London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Would that be because "diminishing returns" sets in earlier with electronics rather than with loudspeakers ?
Without getting into the 'all correctly designed amps, DACS, CD spinners, streamers working within their design limitations sound the same' debate, I believe yes. Speakers and room acoustics is where the major differences lie in my experience.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This kind of approach was very popular back in the 'flat earth' era. Very high spec/cost Linn/Naim systems in to Linn Kans, for example. 'Source first' was the mantra. Paying attention to the sour e is certainly important, but all parts of the chain have their parts to play. No rights or wrongs.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suspect most 50k speakers are going to be quite difficult to drive, and a 500 pound amp would be likely to do a pretty poor job at driving them. A fancy amp and cheap speakers might not be particularly cost effective, but I think it would usually work, unlike the other way round.

lordsound

Wammer
Mar 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Slightly more expensive Spendor A7s on the end of over £100Ks worth of Boulder and Nagra equipment that was set up to demo some £40k speakers. The A7s sounded superb but as it’s the only time I’ve heard them I have no reference.

Cheers BB
That's some mouth watering price ;)

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This kind of approach was very popular back in the 'flat earth' era. Very high spec/cost Linn/Naim systems in to Linn Kans, for example. 'Source first' was the mantra. Paying attention to the sour e is certainly important, but all parts of the chain have their parts to play. No rights or wrongs.
Hehe. I was about to say I heard Kans driven by 135s when the amps first came out.

Bit special that - and not in a needy way.

Briks were better tho'. ;)

Reactions: Reluctant

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suspect most 50k speakers are going to be quite difficult to drive, and a 500 pound amp would be likely to do a pretty poor job at driving them.
That's a different arguement - a similar one to suggesting that a £50K amp that happens to be a tube SET delivering a handful of watts would be unable to drive an insensitive £500 speaker.

If my own £35K speakers (18 ohm, 107 dB) were fed by £500 electronics, both the speakers and amp would be happy and the sound would be pretty good.

dhansak

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Aug 24, 2021
Edinburgh
www.danielwebb.online
AKA
danaudio
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have done this a couple of times for fun. I once set up the most miniature Spendor stand mounts with a £40k Meridian Digital system, and it sounded pretty incredible - I recall being quite astounded by the sound that could come from such a small speaker when listening to Back in Black!

I also recently put the budget Monitor Audio 200s into my home system - they sounded pretty good, but the system lost a lot of refinement - it was lovely to go back to the Special Forty after that.

Maybe there's something in this? How to appreciate what you already have. A lesson we could all do with learning, myself included! Haha.

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Driving £500 speakers with a £50,000 amplifier will normally bring the best out of them. It won't, however, turn them into £50,000 speakers.

Instead, and assuming that you have also listened to £50,000 speakers driven by the same amplifier, it might reveal their limitations.

I've been borrowing a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 40 speakers and driving them with my tweaked Croft pre/power combo, and I have to say that the Concept 40s sound lovely. They have so many laudable qualities.

Having said that, however, when I plug my Russell K Red 150s back in, I can hear what the Concept 40s don't do quite as well as some more expensive speakers.

Having said that :), if the Concept 40s had been on sale when I was replacing by B&W DM602s twenty years ago, I'd probably have bought them instead of my old Monitor Audio S8s and might still own them now.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suspect most 50k speakers are going to be quite difficult to drive,
Well the problem with assumptions is it makes an ASS of U and ME.

Efficiency of speakers has not a lot to do with size. Art Alinico silver signtures and the Dram silver signatures are over £30k a pair and are over 90db efficient .. the Focal Grand Utopia (over £100k) are 94db efficient.

On the other hand Dynaudio Emit 20 (2 way compact stand mount) is only 86db efficent.

Unfortunately the flaw in the original posting is the assumption that a £50k amp will perform better but price is no guarantee of sound quality and or performance specs.

With an efficient set of speakers the little Sugden A21 or even the veritable old Leak Stereo 20 valve amps (and many more) will hold their own against other amps costing many many thousands of pounds and in many cases actually sound much better.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used a £200 pair of QAcoustics speakers last year with £10k (Retail) worth of amps and streamer and DAC. The speakers were just a placeholder but actually sounded great. Several years ago I bought a pair of £400 Audio Note AX speakers from a guy who used them with £60k worth of Audio Note gear as he preferred to work from the source working towards the speakers.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think a more helpful test would be for 50K speakers to be matched with 5K electronics and vice versa. This is still a massive 10:1 price ratio and I suspect results would still be hugely better with the more costly speakers, rather than the costly amp. Or even 2K vs 20K.

My own system is about 8:1 in favour of the speakers, but I’m planning to probably (subject to convincing home trials) getting to more like 4 or 5:1.

Reactions: ANADROL-50

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To add to this from earlier. What amazes me is how far speakers have evolved in the budget sector.
Q Acoustics deserve their success and despite them being built a far, they are an excellent designed and conceived speaker from a 14 year old Uk company that many other brands can only dream of the success Q Acoustics have had.

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently acquired a pair of Q3050s from here, they're £400 speakers retail that I got for just £150. I hooked them up to my main hifi in place of the SCM40s. So > 10 to 1 price ratio difference; the amps driving them are the MUSE 300s, now upgraded to over 500W so will drive anything.

The sound from these 3050s was quite amazing, sure I could tell they didn't quite deliver everything that the SCM40s do, but I could have happily lived with these Q3050s. They delivered 95% of what the SCM40s do.

An interesting experiment to see what these cheap speakers were capable of and I would suggest anyone wanting a good pair of speakers hooks their demo speakers to a great front end to see just what they are capable of, what they can deliver and to what extent they will respond to upgrades at the front end - if you think its the speakers holding back the sound you yearn for, try them with a great front end before replacing them.

PeteVid

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
South East London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had a similar experience when I owned both Concept 20s and Harbeth P3ESRs. With the £1000 price difference the sound quality difference was small enough to be happy to live with the Concept 20s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles